Author Topic: CURSHAM(s)  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURSHAM(s)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 February 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello..... :)

Here is some information that might help......

A potted piece on the Cursham family from a book on The History of Sutton in Ashfield by G.G. Bonser, published 1949

The Reverend THOMAS CURSHAM appears in Sutton in Ashfield registers in 1775 (1776 - 1780 signs himself Curate). He then removed to Ashover, and on 8th July 1784 he married ANN LEESON by license at Skegby and settled in Sutton where he kept a school.
In 1795 he was appointed incumbent at Annesley.
Thomas Cursham died  16th January 1805 and lies buried in Skegby churchyard immediately left of the entrance gate.
His Widow survived him many years dying at Eastwood 27th January 1843.
The Leeson's lived in an ancient farmhouse in Skegby at a bend in the road called the Great Way in 1232, leading to Newbound's Mill Bridge - Ann Leeson (Mrs Cursham's mother) dying there 21t January 1802, aged 78.
The eldest son of Thomas and Ann, named THOMAS LEESON Cursham was born abt 1785, but where baptised does not appear.
Second son of Thomas and Ann was WILLIAM baptised at Sutton 25th Oct 1788, who became an attorney and practised in Nottingham.
Third son was JOHN who entered the Army and attained the rank of Captain and was killed in the first Burmese War.
Fourth son was baptised 30th Dec 1792 and named GEORGE who became a Doctor of medicine and was honorary physician to the Brompton Hospital for Consumptives.
Fifth child was named MARY ANN and developed remarkable poetic gifts, when her father was Vicar at Annesley she became close friends with Mary Ann Chaworth and the friendship led to a meeting with Lord Byron who expressed his appreciation of Miss Cursham's work.
The Vicar of Mansfield (Dr T.L. Cursham) married 27th Dec 1810 to Sabina Stretton at Lenton, they had three sons; William Shelton Cursham took Holy Orders and was curate to his father who was Vicar of Blackwell, Derbyshire 1833.
Second son was Curzon who married and died leaving a daughter who married a Tollemache.
Third son was Arthur and a well known solicitor in Mansfield..
The Revd Willliam Cursham had two daughters, the elder on became Mrs Vaughn Radford, of Carnfield Hall, Derbyshire and died at Kirkby Old Hall in 1928.
The Cursham family connection disappeared soon after the death of  Rev Thomas Cursham in 1805

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 February 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
These are from the Nottinghamshire FHS indexes which should help confirm some of the dates.

MARRIAGE at Skegby
THOMAS CURSHAM & ANN LEESON - 8th July 1784

MARRIAGE at Lenton
THOMAS CURSHAM & SABINA STRETTON - 27th Dec 1810

Baptisms = parents Thomas & Ann CURSHAM
WILLIAM - 25th Oct 1788 - at Sutton in Ashfield
ELIZABETH - 27th Dec 1790 - at Sutton in Ashfield
GEORGE - 30th Dec 1792 - at Sutton in Ashfield
MARY ANN - born 20th June 1794, bpt 22nd June 1790 - at Annesley - notes =  Minister of this Parish
GEORGE - born 2nd Jan 1796 - bpt 2nd Jan 1796 - at Annesley - notes =  Minister of this Parish
ALFRED - 12th Feb 1800- at Annesley
ALFRED - 1st April 1801 - at Annesley - notes = Rev Thomas 2nd of that name.

BAPTISMS - parents William & Mary Cursham
FRANCIS - 10th Aug 1822 at Nottingham St Nicholas - fathers profession Attorney - abode Castle Gate
WILLIAM GEORGE - 1st Sept 1823 at Nottingham St Nicholas - fathers profession Attorney - abode Castle Gate
MARY ELLEN - 26th Nov 1825 at Nottingham St Peter - fathers profession Solicitor - - abode Middle pavement
JOHN - 30th June 1827 at Nottingham St Mary - fathers profession Solicitor - - abode Carlton St
LOUISA - 26th Jan 1830 at Nottingham St Mary - abode Carlton St
WALTER CHARLES - 22nd Nov 1832 at Nottingham St Peter - fathers profession Solicitor - abode Nottingham Park

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 February 11 23:40 GMT (UK) »
A bit more.....

WILLLIAM CURSHAM born 1788 in Sutton in Ashfield (parents Thomas & Ann) married MARY LAMBERT, by License at St Pancras Parish Chapel, London - 12th October 1821

Also... there is a report in one of the Google books - Monthly magazine and British register, Volume 44 - year 1817
A mention of the marriage = Mr. George Cursham, of Mansfield, to Miss Heathcote, of Sheffield

Baptisms = parents WILLIAM GEORGE & HARRIETTE/HARRIETT/HARRIETTA CURSHAM - fathers profession Solicitor
MARY LOUISA - 14th June 1848 at Sneinton St Stephen - abode Nointone?  Place
FRANCIS CLIFTON - 22nd Feb 1850 - Nottingham Holy Trinity - abode Wheeler gate
HARRIETTE FRANCES -  12th Aug 1851 -  Nottingham Holy Trinity - abode Wheeler gate
ARTHUR WILLIAM - 10th April 1853 - Nottingham Holy Trinity - abode Wheeler gate
WILLIAM GEORGE - 14th July 1854 at Wilford
KATHERINE ANN - 16th Sept 1855 at Wilford
ESTHER HARRIET - 18th Jan 1857 at Wilford
CHARLES LAMBERT - 28th Nov 1858 at Wilford
HENRY ALFRED - 12th Jan 1860 at Wilford
MABEL ELIZABETH - 3rd March 1861 at Wilford
WILLIAM - 29th April 1862 at Wilford
JESSIE ELIZA - 17th Aug 1863 at Wilford

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 February 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Here are a couple more baptisms to add weight to the Ann Heathcote/Heathcote marriage.....

Baptisms - at Mansfield St Peter - parents George & Anne Cursham
JOHN ROOTH CURSHAM - 1st May 1818 - fathers profession Mercer - abode Stockwell Gate
THOMAS HEATHCOAT CURSHAM - 20th July 1820 - fathers profession Gentleman  - abode = visit from London
HENRY CURSHAM - 17th July 1822 - fathers profession Gentleman  - abode Queen St.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 February 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
To Dizziefish:

I can't thank you enough for all the information you sent.  I am overwhelmed!  At last, I now have the connection of William George Cursham b. 1823 to William Cursham b. 1788 to the Rev. Thomas Cursham, Vicar of Sutton-in-Ashfield.  I had no information on William b. in 1788 and so was unable to go any further.  I was also missing Mary Ann b. 1794 and wondered who she was as I continued to find her name on the internet.  She was an author and poet and of course, the daughter of the old Vicar of Sutton-in-Ashfield.

The Bromely Library Site gives a fair bit of information on the Cursham family,  mentioning the old Vicar, Thomas, George, William George, Henry Alfred Cursham and his descendants (my connection), *Capt. John Cursham (whom I now believe is the brother of William George). Thomas Leeson Cursham and W.H. Cursham.  I don't know where the latter fits in, however.

*A William Cursham donated a book on "A Theological Manuscript in the Burmese Language from the Collection of the late Captain Cursham".

I was also missing a couple of children who were born to Henry Alfred and Harriett Cursham...you were kind enough to include these.

Once again, thank you so much for all your help (including all the typing!)  I think your "Dizziefish" name lends very well to genealogy.

Best regards,

Dorothy
Ottawa

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Well this is about 7 years too late but just wondering if Dorothy is still around as I think I may be able to answer her question about who married George Cursham MD. I don't know about the marriage to an Ann Heathcote in 1817, he may have been married previously but on the marriage I have he said he was a bachelor.

On 30 May 1822 at St Edward the Confessor's Church in Leek, Staffordshire a George CURSHAM bachelor of St Peter's parish in Nottingham married Ann PHILLIPS spinster of Leek, by licence. The officiating minister was Thomas L Cursham.

The licence was a bit more enlightening - they were both aged 21 years & upwards, George was a surgeon and Thomas L Cursham was the Vicar of Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.

Better still Ann had a brother Samuel Phillips Esquire of Leek who left a will on the 14 Apr 1847 which mentioned his sister Ann Cursham and his brother in law George Cursham of Saville Row, London, Doctor of Medicine.

I have a bit more information on the Phillips family if you haven't already found the above by now. At the very least this might help someone else in the future who might be just as stumped as I was when looking for them in the census, I knew it was going to be an uphill battle with the spelling but I never would have thought of 'Aushuther'!

Cheers....Dawn

Hi Folks,

This time I am looking for Cursham(s), specifically, a George Cursham b. 1795 in Annesley/chr. 02 Jan. 1796/d. 23 Sept. 1871.  The freebmd shows that his death was registered St. George Hanover Square, London.  George Cursham was the son of Rev T. Cursham of Sutton-in-Ashfield - his mother was Ann Leeson.  He attended Repton School in 1808 and graduated M.D. from London and Paris, was elected F.R.C.P. in 1844, and became Physician to the Hospital for Consumption and the the Asylum for Female Orphans.

There is much about Dr. George Cursham on the internet but nothing about whom he married.  I am asking for help in finding his marriage.  The IGI shows one entry for a George Cursham to Ann Heathcote in 1817, however, I am reluctant to acccept this at face value.

I am also trying to connect this George Cursham as father of William G. Cursham who md. Harriett Nicholson.  Their marriage is registered in Liverpool in 1846.  The children of this couple were born in various towns in Nottinghamshire.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Dorothy
Ottawa
I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Eldest son Thomas Leeson Cursham was baptised at Ashover on 7 Jul 1785, son of Rev'd Thomas & wife Ann.

Fourth son George must be the physician who married Ann Phillips in my previous message.

The eldest son of Thomas and Ann, named THOMAS LEESON Cursham was born abt 1785, but where baptised does not appear.
Second son of Thomas and Ann was WILLIAM baptised at Sutton 25th Oct 1788, who became an attorney and practised in Nottingham.
Third son was JOHN who entered the Army and attained the rank of Captain and was killed in the first Burmese War.
Fourth son was baptised 30th Dec 1792 and named GEORGE who became a Doctor of medicine and was honorary physician to the Brompton Hospital for Consumptives.
Fifth child was named MARY ANN and developed remarkable poetic gifts, when her father was Vicar at Annesley she became close friends with Mary Ann Chaworth and the friendship led to a meeting with Lord Byron who expressed his appreciation of Miss Cursham's work.

I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
This is certainly "a blast from the past" and thank's for the update.

The 1822 marriage and licence can be viewed on FindMyPast and there is a marriage notice in the "hatch, match and despatch" column of the Staffordshire Advertiser, 1 Jun 1822.

regards