Author Topic: Whaplode and Whaplode Drove  (Read 12074 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whaplode and Whaplode Drove
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 February 11 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Chipladdie, I see you have Smith Lincolnshire in your list. I remember a Rev. Smith was the vicar of the church in Waplode Drove when I used to visit my grandads farm at Gedney Hill in the 1940/50's.

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 February 11 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes Keith it is the Smith line I am tracing from Whaplode Drive.  I wasn't aware of the vicar.  My John Smith was bap 1797 Whaplode Drove, the son of William and Susannah.  Smith is such a difficult surname to work on.  Thank you for the information.
CL :)
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline lynhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
hi they are different villages in the holbeach area and between whaplode and whaplode drove you have the villages of moulton and moulton chapel. they are least 6 miles apart but i think they both fall under east elloe.whaplode drove is between holbeach and crowland and whaplode is on the main holbeach to spalding road.hope this helps.

Offline lynhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
both whaplode and whaplode drove have churches whaplode st catherins does not have a church it is basically one road with a few houses on it. the next village along from whaplode drove is holbeach drove and it did have a chapel that is no longer in use.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 February 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
From the map in my copy of Phillimore's Atlas and Index of Parish Registers, the parishes of Whaplode and Whaplode Drove are geographically contiguous, Whaplode Drove is the furthest from the Wash, and is situated on the eastern end of Crowland between that parish and Holbeach; Whaplode itself is on the northern end of Whaplode Drove between Moulton and Holbeach.In shape most of these parishes except Crowland are long and thin with an extension leading down to or near to the coast, whilst Holbeach and Gedney have larger nuclear settlements nearer the coast. Much if not all of the land in this area has been reclaimed from the sea, and I suspect that the larger coastal settlements of Holbeach and Gedney are thus because they may have been originally formed on small patches of higher ground. This long thin strip shape is the norm for Lincolnshire parishes bordering the Wash, but less so for the parishes in Norfolk. Here I think the problem is erosion rather than accumulation of land.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline andy14976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 March 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to roots chat, so ignore the mistakes. 
I am researching pubs in South Holland district, and notice chipladdies post re. the Whaplodes.  I know its from 2011, but did you sort it OK? 
   The basic bit is to understand there are two sorts of parish:  civil parishes are about day-to-day governance and there is usually a parish council to administer local issues, e.g. street lighting in the parish where I live.
   Ecclesiastical Parishes are the other sort.  They are to do with the Anglican Church and are about how bishops manage the parishes within their diocese.
   In the Whaplode example, Whaplode is a civil parish, extending from the Wash, more or less, to the Cambridgeshire border, and the parish council will represent the whole, possibly split into Wards for election purposes].  Within this parish are two ecclesiastical parishes, Whaplode St Catherine and Whaplode Drove.  I'm not sure how these are grouped today: I think one of the Whaplodes is grouped with [shares its priest with] one of the Holbeaches, which is divi'd up in a similar way.
  If I can master the attachment facility of this site, I'll  send a copy of an outline-only map [a 'skeleton' map] of South Holland parishes which clearly shows the long/narrow format of fenland parishes.  It originates from the planning department,[so maybe you could get one direct?] and has no copyright issues attached to it.
   As for my own research, if anyone has any info, or the golden touch of a photograph, about the Chequers Inn in Tongue End, please let me know.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
The long thin nature of these parishes adjoining the Wash comes about as they have extended toards the sea through the adoption of reclaimed land
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:29 GMT (UK) »
andy14976 -
Don't worry about mastering technology to post the maps.
Use this http://maps.familysearch.org/
Search for one place, and then zoom in as necessary.  :)

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 March 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you andy for the interesting details.  When I posted that question I was trying to sort out which John Smith was mine.  Since then I have determinded that he is a completely different one, baptized at St Mary Whaplode 1786 to John Smith and Susannah Watson.
Regards,
CL :)
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent