Author Topic: Joseph PAVITT/PAVORD  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Bev campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph PAVITT/PAVORD
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Christopher.
thanks for the quick reply see what I can get out of ancestry
regards, Bev

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
FYI Fred informed me yesterday that he and his sibs and uncle all show a significant autosomal DNA connection to an individual (surname: Lancaster) known to be a descendant of the Pavard/Pavord line -- so there are increasingly good odds that the Paffords are cousins of yours.  My own atDNA connection to the Lancaster results is very slim, and doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.  But in Fred's case it does very strongly suggest that we have been on the right track in connecting him to the line of Thomas & Jane (Woods) Pavord, Thomas being a son of Joseph & first wife Grace (Matthews) Pavord (a widowed Joseph later married Mary Langdon in 1822, whom I was trying to trace last night; she may -- uncertain -- have been born Mary Neville, who it appears may have married an older man, George Langdon, and been widowed in 1820; again, this is not yet proven).

I am working on Joseph's parentage -- I know that somewhere back down this thread he was connected as a son, by John Pavord (jmpav) I think, of a couple John & Elizabeth (another genealogist shows their surname as "Parford") out of West Stafford, but I am a bit puzzled because a different, seemingly logical candidate pair exists right in Barwick -- adjoining Stoford, where Joseph (according to two censuses) was born in about 1772.  They are John and Martha (Langdon) Pavard, m. 1762 at St. Mary Magdalene in Barwick.  This is the same church where Grace's burial is recorded in 1821; I also note the connection to the Langdon family in the marriages of two generations.

If anyone has and can share any _solid source information_ that points in either direction for Joseph's parentage, I hope they'll post here!  I am logging this line on WikiTree, individual profile by individual profile, and do not want to show either couple as parents until and unless I can cite reasonable sources (preferably, sources that can either be found online, or shared in a free public venue... as someone who like many other amateur genealogists works on an incredibly limited budget, I often cannot access material on ancestry.com that requires a paid membership).  As it stands now I would have just barely enough sourced info to log John & Martha as the parents, but with reservations and with the notation that the connection is speculative.

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Whoops, one correction: John & Martha were m. at Barwick in 1763, not 1762.

Offline Pav1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Don Pavitt from Mollymook Beach NSW Australia. I’m a direct ascendant of John Pavitt and Ann Child of Bradford Abbas Dorset. Their sons Jonas (used also Alfred John) and my GGG grandfather Simeon were born in the 1820’s. The surname of Pavord and Peartt as well as Pavett, Paverd and Patriot were used in different census, births deaths and marriages...these surnames were linked. I noticed that my descendants in census 1841 Bradford Abbas lived next door to teenagers by the name of David and George Pavord born Nether Compton they possibly maybe linked to the family in Barwick Somerset as Elizabeth passed away in 1837 and her children were separated. William Anstice was residing with his Grandparents in the 1841 census. I’m also wishing to link Joseph Pavitt/Pavord with my descendants..any help would be appreciated.  cheers

Offline Pav1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Don Pavitt from New South Wales Australia ..looking for information on Pavitt family 1800 from Bradford Abbas Dorset and Sherborne Somerset Area. Trying to link families from both areas could be under name of Pavitt or Pavord and also come from Nether Compton. Any help would be appreciated

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 26 September 21 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, Don -- returning to this discussion after a very long absence, I'm intrigued to see your two posts from 2020.  In brief, I can tell you that (as I suggested was likely in my earlier posts) the family of John Pavitt of Bradford Abbas is almost certainly quite distinct from the Pavords of Nether Compton.  While John Pavitt, who married my 3rd great grandmother Ann Chiles/Childs as his second wife, did become the _step_father to my 2nd great grandfather -- William Henry Childs, born in 1812 -- Y-DNA indicates that William Henry's biological father was most likely one of the Nether Compton Pavords.

Specifically, the most likely candidates are two teenaged Pavord boys, Samuel or Thomas, born in 1792 and 1794 respectively: they lived perhaps two miles, at most, from Ann Childs's native hamlet of Clifton Maybank (which nestles up against Bradford Abbas).  Ann was born in late 1791 or very early 1792 (she was baptized on 15 January 1792), and was thus closest to Samuel in age.  Samuel would have been of marrying age by 1812, though at 20 he'd still have been unusually young; Thomas would have been barely 18... which might perhaps explain why Ann did not acquire a husband by the time of William Henry's birth. 

Both Samuel and Thomas married other young women by about 1815, and it is of interest to note that Thomas's wife, Jane Woods [to whom I am related; my paternal great grandmother was born Charlotte Woods] was evidently pregnant with their first child, daughter Jane -- born in August of 1815 -- at the time of their early-March nuptials.  So it is conceivable, no pun intended, that there was a pattern of behavior here on Thomas's part....

I log my research on WikiTree, where I volunteer with a couple of pre-1700 projects; you can find my profile there at wikitree (dot) com/wiki/Childs-1516.  I will try to check back here for any replies or additions to this discussion, but please also feel free to send me a private message from my WikiTree page (this may require that you register on the site, which is free).  My tree is public -- click on the "Family Tree & Genealogy Tools" tab, and follow the Childs line back (click on the tiny red/blue arrowheads in the righthand column to get beyond the first five generations), and you will find John Pavitt listed as William Henry Childs's [non-biological] father... simply because he is the only father William Henry ever knew, and because there is some evidence that the two became close.

I am occasionally in touch with a gent in England [I'm in the States] who would be a half-cousin of yours, as he is a descendant of John Pavitt and John's first wife, Martha Adams.  If you would like, I can try to put you in touch with him; his name is James Bevan, and he's quite experienced at genealogy... and knows the Pavitt lineage very well.

Very best wishes for your research; please let me know if I can be helpful.

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 26 September 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
Don, a bit of followup: I'm intrigued by your statement that Jonas Pavitt, son of John and Ann, "used also Alfred John".  On WikiTree, we have Jonas simply as "Jonas Ullford Pavitt" -- see wikitree (dot) com/wiki/Pavitt-68 -- with the note that in the 1841 census, he appears as _James_ rather than Jonas, and with the surname, as so often happened, spelled as "Pavord".

If you can provide a link to any freely online-available record showing him as "Alfred John", that would be helpful, as it will allow me to edit his profile and include that information.

[I would also note that we know Jonas had an elder half-brother named John -- see wikitree (dot) com/wiki/Pavitt-123 -- whose mother was John's first wife, Martha (Adams) Pavitt, who died after five years of marriage.]

The Pavitt family-member WikiTree profiles that were created in 2015, including the ones for Jonas and John, were established not by me (though I have since become the profile manager) but by the descendant I mentioned above, James Bevan... who has done a great deal of careful work on the family's lineage.  So I need very sound documentation, generally in the form of primary records, before making changes to those profiles.

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 27 September 21 03:27 BST (UK) »
... and just one more addendum: the one Alfred John Pavitt I have been able to find anywhere online was in fact born at Chipping Ongar, Essex, in 1846; he was a son of William and Susan.  You can find a record of his birth at familysearch (dot) org/ark:/61903/1:1:265X-KBS; he also appears in the 1851 and 1861 censuses -- see familysearch (dot) org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVD-5PR and (as "Alfred J. Pairtt") familysearch (dot) org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWM4-D6V; and then once more in the census of 1901, this time living in Herts: see familysearch (dot) org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS4C-TSP.

I hope you may have received the Facebook message sent by my wife Elizabeth (I do not have a FB account), which includes my email address, which I am not comfortable listing here.  If so please feel free to contact me by email.