Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 108456 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
It took forever to get the results and access to the upgrade of Mr Paul Fullwood's DNA. I had hoped by upgrading the Fullwood DNA to 37 marker it may show further matches with my late dad's (37 marker) DNA test, John Goodman. They had matched at the basic 12 marker. Unfortunately there were no further matches. Now I am hoping to find another Goodman willing to be swabbed and try that way around. I have identified one individual although his ancestors came from Devon not Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire. It may be useful for elimination purposes. Desperate times.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
hi im a goodman with a great great great great grandfather James Goodman whos son is George Goodman who was married to a sarah   (he was born 1862 Batchworth Heath ) ... they had a son of joseph Goodman married to Jane ...they had a daughter dorothy / Ethel & Lillian and a son william who is my grandfather (Jane remarried to nash and had 3 more children )....you say in your post your father died this year ? (sorry to hear that )....  i have only just seen this site with your threads as i am also trying to find out who us goodmans are  ...  I think i could be part of the goodman family you talk of ? :)

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add my great grandfather joseph goodman lived in Bourne End Lane...Bourne End Herts with his wife jane  (trowles ) . (between hemel hempstead and berkhamstead )
sorry could i please ask your parents name and your fathers parents name ? im just trying to make heads/tails to my references as well ... many thanks :)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your comments re my dad. I know that a James Goodman, blacksmith, married Sarah Hansted on 2nd of December 1826. They later had many children including a son George born in 1844. Unfortunately this George was not my ancestor as he would have been too old. There are quite a lot of records available for James and Sarah. Not sure also of my paternal ancestor's religion whereas the blacksmith Goodman family appear to be Church of England.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you 1783Caz for your second post re the link. My ancestor died in 1888 and although his son, also called George Joseph, was believed to be alive in 1916 he was not located later by his brother Hubert, my grandfather. I therefore do not know when he died or whether he had any children to carry on the name in England. As a result it is difficult to see if there is any link with other local Goodman families. My grandfather Hubert had moved to Ireland at a young age. It appears George Joseph who was then fatherless was left behind in the home for boys.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
hi sorry you have to be delicate as im new to this site lol ... i have been looking at a family tree ive been given access to and  have on it in order a james goodman born approx 1802 and married to a sarah (surname unknown or marraige date )  ...he had a son james goodman (rickmansworth ) married to louisa ...who then had a son george (batchworth heath ) married sarah jeffs ...  and then had a son Joseph who was born 1887 in rickmansworth and died 11th august 1917 ...looking through past posts i see there was slight confusion over towns ...yrs ago hemel hempstead was sometimes owned by other districts such as st.albans and watford so it can easily be confused sometimes ....  :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi 1783caz

[Welcome to Rootschat]

You say that you see "slight confusion over towns"?
Do you want to expand on what is confusing you and we'll see if we can help?

Regards

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 08:31 BST (UK) »
hi ray ...thanks ...in earlier posts it mentioned possibility about this persons ancestor refering to his nearest town to as hemel ...it may be revelent or may not be but i found out a little while ago that hemel was once owned by st albans district and also watford .not sure when though. :)

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
hi there ...ive been doing a bit of digging today to find out what i could ... one of our oldest goodmans whos still alive at 98yrs ...her grandfather was george joseph goodman who had 2 sons (a) joseph Goodman (her father ) and another (b) George Goodman   ....so this lady had an uncle george and a grandfather george goodman .