Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110403 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #621 on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, enlarging that photo seems to have really distorted it. Thomas Heffernan was my dad's cousin, born abt 1917. That photo was his obituary picture and unfortunately he has his hand on his chin. However, the previous photo with the chap standing shows his full face and I believe that I can now see a Heffernan likeness. On the other hand, the Goodman men folk seem to have a long chin. When I look at my tree, and even some of the photos on Caz's tree, I can see that chin likeness. Therefore, I can now lose all hope of that chap, standing photo, being a Goodman.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have been looking at Harriet Goodman daughter of Thomas Goodman. She would be a Gran Aunt to my ancestor George Goodman. She married into the Kibble/s family. Maddie has been working very hard on my behalf helping to research that line. She has even managed to find a bargee in the family. One of Harriet's descendant's Emily Kibbles, who married Edward Smith. Edward was a boatman, the captain of the boat Countess and working for John Dickinsons. Maddie found him on the 1911 census in Paddington. His wife and children were in Rickmansworth. He wasn't born in Rickmansworth though. He was born in Wednesbury Staffs. I am really grateful to Maddie for all her skilful research.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, slight correction to my former post. Harriet Kibble/s (nee Goodman) would have been a sister to James Goodman, (the blacksmith). Therefore, an aunt to my ancestor George Goodman, not a gran aunt. Kibble is not the easiest name to trace, as it was sometimes written as Hibble, Tibbles etc. Once again, well done to Maddie for unravelling the names and details.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I have not had any success with my Goodman family of late. Although my keen interest is just on a back burner for now. My ancestor's grand father, Thomas Goodman, was supposedly born in Wiltshire 1766, before settling in Rickmansworth. That was the birth place of his son James, who was a blacksmith. James was the father of my ancestor George Goodman 1844-1888. I wondered if Thomas came to Wiltshire, with his family from another country. Perhaps having a different religious belief, therefore making the absence of a baptism record likely.
I have often been informed that Goodman could be a Jewish name. I am aware that there were Goodman families in Ireland, but as far as I am aware they were Anglican. Also, I have not been able to connect my Rickmansworth ancestors to tany of those particular families. However, recently, I discovered a newspaper article that referred to a genealogist, Mr Rosenblatt, who had compiled an archive of Irish Jewry, spanning four centuries. He had presented copies of it to the Mayor of Dublin. Apparently, the WDYTYA team had made use of his research in the past.
Irish records are difficult enough to locate, in my experience, as most have been destroyed. I expect any likely Jewish records would be even more difficult to get hold of.

My ancestor George Goodman married in 1875, to Mary McCarthy, who was born in Co. Cork, Ireland. I have had little success with her history. However, there was a famous pipe player named James Goodman, who lived in Cork. He was described as Anglican but could speak the Irish language fluently. Coincidence, I guess, although I would still be interested in reading a list of those Jewish names, even if it was to eliminate any possible Irish Jewish connection.
In the meantime, while being totally stuck with my Goodman ancestors,  I am looking at the Ambrosone surname and have posted on the Cornwall forum!

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: Saturday 19 December 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I would like to wish all Roots Chatters a very Happy Christmas and good luck with all your research in 2016. Nothing happening with George Goodman research at present. I found a nice baby photo in my belated parents house, although the photographer seems to be from Limerick Ireland. George Goodman's son Hubert, (my Grand father), was born in that house. The photo may have belonged to his wife's family. At first I was surprised at how expensive the christening robe looked. Although I have since been informed that, in some photo studios, there was a trend whereby the babies were dressed by the photographer, especially for the photo shoot. Nice old fashioned robe though.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: Saturday 19 December 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Merry Xmas Brenda
( and everyone else )

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I hope that you all had a Happy Easter. A little information to recap, if I may, as it will hopefully make sense of my post. My ancestor George Goodman b.1844 Rickmansworth was son of James Goodman b.1801, (The Blacksmith). Thomas Goodman b. abt 1766 was supposedly born in Rushall Wiltshire. He later died 1851, in West Hyde, Rickmansworth. Thomas had several children, one of which was George Hale Sloper Goodman. This George would be my ancestor's uncle. A group of us, descendants from Thomas Goodman, have not been able to associate any connection with Thomas and Wiltshire. Also we have not been able to find a connection to Hale Sloper and Goodman. However, Caz, one of our group, has managed to find some reference to Sloper and Goodman as follows:

"First name(s) Jeffrey Last name Goodman Role Apprentice Indenture or registration year 1728 Indenture year 1728 Premium £10 .0s 0d Place - County - Apprentice's first name(s) Jeffrey Apprentice's last name Goodman
Apprentice's parent's first name(s) John Master's first name(s) Robert
Master's last name Sloper
Master's occupation Clothier
Master's place Devizes Master's county Wiltshire
The National Archives reference (IR 1 series) 49 f 34
Society of Genealogists volume 12 Society of Genealogists page 2244 Society of Genealogists number 82427 Record type Records Record set Britain, country apprentices 1710-1808 Category Education & work Subcategory Apprentices Collections from Great Britain"

Although it doesn't move us on any further, it does show some connection with the surnames and Wiltshire. Should anyone have any further to add I will be truly grateful.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 19:18 BST (UK) »

Happy New Year to all Goodman followers, from a non-Goodman!  :) :) :) :)

Eternally Grateful ? That's a long time!
Last year, I was going to arrange to have a beer with Caz in my then local area Croxley Green. Did not happen.  >:(
I then moved to Devon 8) :P
Guess what is reasonably close? W I L T S H I R E !  :)

Now have a new target . . . . . .

Anyone need any favours?   :D

AND, I have a renewed interest in smilies!  :o ::)

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: Sunday 10 April 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody, I hope that you are having a good Sunday. Thank you Ray for your reply and for your offer of help. It is very kind of you but I wouldn't know where to start digging, in Wiltshire, at this stage. Congrats on your move to Devon, all that fresh air, no wonder you feel like smiling. Shame though that you missed out on that drink with Caz. It would be lovely for us all, in the future, to have a Hertfordshire forum 'meet up'.
I went to the WDYTYA event in Birmingham with jtas. I tried the Wiltshire stall again and, although they have vast amounts of info, it is knowing where to start. I couldn't afford to buy all their discs and I know that Thomas Goodman hasn't got a baptismal record at Rushall. As previously a kindly local Vicar searched Rushall and some likely areas on my behalf. However, with this new information, that Caz found, re Robert Sloper master to apprentice Jeffrey Goodman, I have written, once again, to the Wiltshire FHS society for any help. Fingers crossed on that one.
I did manage to get a little information, at the Birmingham event, on Hubert Goodman b.1883 at Rickmansworth. He was my Grand father, son of George Goodman b.1844 Rickmansworth.
The lady from 'the forces stall' under the heading 'hospital admissions and discharges' found that, in 1916, 21st Dec, Hubert Goodman was on, what appeared to be a hospital train. He was admitted in Boulogne France and departed in Bethune. Admitted with Haemorrhoids, (Piles), of all things. Hopefully he managed to eat his Christmas dinner! Unfortunately, the forces lady, did not have any record of Hubert's later 1918 leg amputation, in France, and subsequent admission to a Red Cross Hospital in London. There appeared to be lots of Red Cross Hospitals in 1918, in London. Aw well, it was worth a shot and we had a nice day out.