Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110397 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #630 on: Thursday 06 October 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I trust that you all you rootschatters had a nice summer. Nothing to report on George Goodman unfortunately. Although even on holidays my mind is never too far away from our ancestors, sad really, I know.
I was recently in North Cyprus and found myself looking around a small grave yard! It struck me how dilapidated the graves appeared to be, even though some were not that old. One, for instance, was 1972 and appeared to have Greek writing. Following a little research, I now know that there are no relatives living, in North Cyprus, to look after the graves. This situation arose when the Greeks fled North Cyprus in 1974, when the Turks invaded. I believe a similar situation exists in the south with the Turkish graves. They are either neglected or vandalized or both. However, I have read that a couple of guys, one Turkish and one Greek, are now running a business, although living in opposite parts of Cyprus. The Turkish gentleman attends to the Greek graves of relatives, who pay for his services, from southern Cyprus. The Greek gentleman does the same for Turkish relatives. They have expressed how it is important to strike now, while there are living relatives who remember these departed people. The future generation may feel that the relatives are too distant to do anything about the graves.

In a way my collective family have, in recent years, attended to a similar task. My grandfather, Hubert Goodman, son of George Goodman b.1844, has had his grave restored. Hubert died in the 1950s. My brother organized this and family members each paid an amount towards the restoration. My brother also felt that we needed to do this currently as future generations may not. It was nice to see my Grandfather's WW1 involvement acknowledged on the headstone also.

George Goodman's patch of grass, in Chorleywood Road cemetery, was a pauper's grave, therefore I have no right to do anything structurally to the ground. However, it does concern me, that if the road is widened, as we suspect it may be in the future, this spot will no longer exist.

My Italian in laws, as per their custom, are given the bones of their departed to move into another casket, should space be needed. Although it is easier to do as they tend to be buried above ground in the first place. All this got me thinking generally, as some of us now choose to be cremated, documentation for future generations will be vital. Either in paper form or computerized form, war and floods and fire permitting. Perhaps I have been watching too much T.V about valuable DNA findings in cold cases. Aw well, it is also the month of Halloween and I am hoping that my ghoulish thinking may be excused..

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: Sunday 25 December 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas everyone good luck in 2017 with family research.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am feeling quite virtuous at the moment. Having just walked 3 miles to, to the patch of grass, where my ancestor, George Goodman, is buried. Most likely a walk my ancestors also done. Although they probably had no choice but to do that walk daily, if not more frequently.
However, in the  light of all that effort, on my part, you would think that my ancestors would deem fit, to provide me with a little more information, but alas no dice.
Just had a recent tip from Maddie, concerning FindMyPast, putting more records on their site. Subsequently, Maddie and Jtas have both been fortunate, in that they have made some recent discoveries using FindMyPast. Well done to them both. Oh, and remember, it is my turn next, ha, ha.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: Saturday 06 January 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, hopefully you have all had a nice Christmas and a good start to 2018.
My ancestor, George Goodman, son of the Blacksmith, James Goodman from Rickmansworth. He was one of several children. One brother, in particular, seemed to be a bit of a ‘bad Boy’. He was named Henry Goodman. He was the father of an illegitimate daughter, Eliza Sims. Eliza’s mother was Jemima Sims. There are records available for Henry, concerning his daughter, and his behaviour whilst serving in the army. Recently, I was contacted by a lady who’s ancestor was Jemima Sims. She was unaware of Eliza’s birth. Although we have no DNA connecting us, it was good to find another person viewing the Rickmansworth Goodman line.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Evening all. I visited Watford Reference today, mainly searching for info for my son! However, I couldn't resist another look at Watford Local History section. My ancestor George Goodman b.1844 died on Bury Farm, Batchworth, Rickmansworth, in 1888. I found a picture of Bury Farm and a description of Bury Farm cottage, where he lived with his family. On his death cert his occupation is described as a cowman. Apparently the farm buildings included, 'a good cowhouse for twenty four'. Wouldn't want to think my ancestor was slacking or anything, ha ha. Poor man died of a TB related illness, probably inevitable working with cows.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
There was a cottage attached to Bury Farm House but alas no photo found.

Offline JoannaKench

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to Eliza? I can't find her after 1871. I'm researching my extended tree and I was curious on her story.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry to say no I don’t. Even Maddie, on rootschat, who is a wizz at finding ancestors, tried but was unable to find Eliza. There was a servent in, I think, camberwell London, who died 1870s but this did not pan out. Hope you have better luck. There are two others, that I know of, researching Eliza also. Probably find messages on my tree on ancestry. As far as I know they were also stuck.

Offline antiqueone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: Thursday 30 August 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, just searched The National Archives for Wiltshire wills. I was hoping to find some connection with the parental family of Thomas Goodman, before he moved moved to Ruckmansworth. I searched 1700-1900. I came across six Goodman wills as follows:

1776 Henry Goodman, gentleman of Easton, Wilts.

1790 John Goodman, gentleman of Rowde, Wilts.

1794 Joseph Goodman, servant to the Marquis of Landsdown, Wilts.

1823 Sophie Goodman, widow of Devizes, Wilts.

1827 John Goodman, Calne, Wilts.

1856 Rev Maurice Hiller Goodman, clerk of Wilcot, Wilts.

I suppose some could be eliminated such as the Rev as I know he just came to Wiltshire later. I expect the two gentlemen would be a class above. The servant, John from Calne and Sophie could be a possibility. Even if the connection was uncle, brothers or sister in law it would be something. I wish that I had found these before my trip to Wiltshire Archives. Still, I know that these wills can be ordered online but which one if any is the question.

I have transcribed some Goodman Wills from Wiltshire. I have traced my ancestry back to Henry Goodman who died in about 1692. His descendants can be seen here:    http://www.historyandnews.co.uk/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I5014&ged=webgreen4.GED

He was my 8x Great Grandfather. The Wills I have transcribed can be seen here: http://www.historyandnews.co.uk/index.php?topic=Goodman
The Rev Maurice Hiller Goodman was from Wiltshire. The Victoria County History of Wiltshire explains the Goodman's connection with Oare House in Wiltshire:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol10/pp190-204

Green Kingsthorpe Northamptonshire, Dunkley Brington Northampton, Bunting Long Buckby Northamptonshire, Haycock Hellidon Northamptonshire, Osmond Hungerford Berkshire, Major Stockbridge Hampshire, Liddiard Eastbury Berkshire, Spackman Bromham Wiltshire