Author Topic: Portfield Gate Post Office  (Read 5129 times)

Offline imstillstanding

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portfield Gate Post Office
« on: Friday 30 April 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,looking for any information on Portfield Gate Post Office Haverfordwest, if you can help I would be very greatful. Many Thanks

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Portfield Gate Post Office
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Portfield Gate lies on the B4341 H’west to Broad Haven road called Haven Rd. Go to google map satellite mode and follow the B4341 west out of H’west, zoom well in and go past Cuckoo lane to the right, Park Corner Rd on the left past unnamed rd on right which leads up to the farm and you will next come to a fork in the rd.
That fork is the hamlet of Portfield Gate. I am not 100% sure, but think the P.O. has gone.
If needs be and you get no more replies directed at what it is you require I can take a ride out and have a look for you.
A chat to Sylvia Birch who lives up that way, on her Cenquest website may illicit more information in the short term.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales 1895 Pt 1 (page 352)

"Post Office, Porterfield Gate (Railway Sub Office. Letters should have RSO Pembrokeshire added). -Charles Jones, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 7 am; dispatched 6.15 p.m week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Haverfordwest".

Offline imstillstanding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ref Portfield Gate PO
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have had to post this, like this, as i try to reply to my other thread it won't sign me in just say's i'm a guest  ::)

Thank you Orielbenfro and Hanes teulu, I was born in Portfield Gate a few doors away from the Post Office, I think the photo is of Arthur Jones 1874/1957. Arthur was the son of George Jones.
Arthur is buried in Sutton.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Moderator Comment: topics merged  :)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely photograph.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
You may have discovered more about Charles Jones,sub-postmaster of Portfield Gate by now but I have only just noticed your posting.I know people who live in Portfield Gate which is why it caught my attention.I have traced the census details from 1881 to 1911 --he does not seem to have been there in 1871(his birthplace is given as Haverfordwest.)In 1881 his age is given as 37.His wife is Mary Ann Jones,age 34,born Slebech.They seem to have raised a family of at least 6 children.Son Arthur b.1874 became a blacksmith,and John b.1884 became a grocer's apprentice.In 1911 (*). I don't think there is a post office (or shop) in Portfield Gate now! In fact I think the only business there now is the Funeral  Directors if they are still in business!

Moderator Comment: I'm sorry but 1911 census posts are not allowed - please see here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

The index is free to search and there are lots of suggestions on this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline BJMYJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 May 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
Wow, that's an amazing photo!

I believe that Arthur Jones was the postmaster at Swansea House in Portfield Gate.

In the 70's I remember it being a pink building with a telephone box to the side of it...unfortunately it has since been demolished. I'm confused by the two posts on here, one saying that Arthur was the son of George, the other saying that he was the son of Charles - which is right? (I'm thinking Charles?)
Also I was unaware that Arthur was a blacksmith prior to being postmaster! Would I be right in guessing that Arthur took over from his father, as I've always been under the impression that Arthur and Harriet's children were born and raised at Swansea House...? One of their sons still lived there up until the 1990's.