Author Topic: George Slicker (schlicher)  (Read 8863 times)

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Slicker (schlicher)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Dathai
The reason I mention this is because of george schlicher all of his decendants are now anglicised as slicker in inner city dublin its very easy to happen it just takes one person thru non eduacation or non understanding of the lingo and they were numourous dont count it out also most names were written in latin in the cathoilc church which is an added conundrum
I have many spellings to my surname depending on the year or century, part of the country its incredible

Royal royle ryall ryle rile royale all relevant and worth researching

Best of luck keep us posted

Doug

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I am doing research on the burial places of men and women who died as a result of WW1 service but whose graves have not been officially recorded.
DANIEL  SLICKER died on 8 June 1918, aged 41. He had served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers from July 1915 until medically discharged. He was head of one of 3 Slicker families at Chancery Lane in Dublin (1911 Census), the only families of that name in Ireland. The other two families were headed by George and Louis - all in the coal trade and probably all brothers.
Daniel's name is not recorded on any memorial ( as far as I know) probably because he was discharged before the War ended.
Does anyone out there know where Daniel Slicker is buried? Any clue would be gratefully received.

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Trevalyn
Not too sure about the info you have yes they were all brothers and the father also George reverted back to his original German spelling of his name Schliocher for 1911 census he was also in chancery lane his daughter their sister Mary Ellen married William Royal which is my surname the royal also lived in chancery lane and hauled coal
George snr was my great great grandfather
Frederick (another brother)was definitely in the British army and was discharged I have a copy of both his attestation and discharge papers he's buried in Cabra where a lot of exservicemen from the British army were buried Daniel was a music teacher at some point and died pretty young he lived in Celridge I don't think he was in the army he may heve been if he was he would possibly be in an exservicemans grave yard maybe near the barracks he was based in which could have been the curragh there was talk of louis been all ireland handball champion but this is unconfirmed i have tried the gaa website but no luck
George senior was a very interesting character married 3 times and lived until he was 85 I think
What is your connection
Doug

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Glasnevin
Search Glasnevin Trust and his name  comes up 1918 aged 41
http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/
death cert say George took care of his burial
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05187/4432609.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Wow ,thank you all for such swift replays and info

Offline kslicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Slicker (schliocher)
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thats Him alright hadnt he lived quite a long time for people from that era and in particular around the inner city
is there any slickers out there with connections to south inner city (slicker,schlicher,schlichor,schleicher) any of these spellings will more than likely match
George had a son frederick who also reverted back to the german spelling he lived in cork street around the 1939 elections he also had son Daniel who may have died in celbridge and louis and a george junior although there a probably lots of louis and georges by now
im trying to find out when george arrived in ireland from germany he may have handed down some stories ???
According to this record he arrived in 1871 from Bavaria: https://www.familyhistory.ie/docs/aliens/Aliens.pdf

He was my great great grandfather.