Author Topic: William Barclay??  (Read 2865 times)

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Barclay??
« on: Saturday 05 February 11 18:52 GMT (UK) »
 Hi

I have been researching Alexander Smith Barclay (Mcgregor) father and his father was William Barclay. There are 2 William Barclays so it makes it a little difficult!!

I had his father as William Barclay,b. 12 SEPT 1870 son of James Barclay and Margaret Smith, The 1891 census shows James Barclay (from Leuchars, Fife) in St Clement Dundee with his second wife, Agnes. With them is their son William, B 1870 Dundee, an unemployed labourer.  (I went with this william as there seemed to be "Smith" in Alexanders name.)  However I think this is the wrong one!

In the same district (St Clements) there is another William Barclay, B c1872 in Arbroath, Angus, who is a plumber (as shown in Alexander's birth certificate). He is boarding with a Mrs McGregor, B c1853 in Perthshire, and her 7 children (with no husband). The next census in 1901 shows the same McGregor children with no parents, and a step brother Alexander Barclay.
Now I know all this and as it turns out  'Mrs McGregor' became pregnant to her young lodger, William Barclay of Arbroath. Young Alexander Barclay then grew up with the McGregor children after his mother died and he goes to Canada in the late 1911 with some of his siblings.  The problem now is that I want to find out any info on William Barclay born 1872,  Can anyone help??   William still stayed with Catherine Mcgregor until she died in 1897 at 42 Gellatly Street, Dundee..after this I have no idea what happened to him.  Any Ideas?

Suz
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Barclay??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify as your post is a bit confusing containing info no longer relevant

You are now researching William Barclay b 1872 Arbroath who was the father of Alexander Barclay b 1892 to "Mrs McGregor"

You have Alexanders birth cert confirming his parentage and William Barclay was a plumber on that certificate

Nothing with his profile on the 1881/1901
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Presume you have already seen the IGI entry b Dundee 1872 parents John Barclay and Martha Hilton

The 1881 has one b 1872 parents James & Margaret but again shown as Dundee

Have you checked Scotlands People for a birth in Arbroath
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
thank you  Carole

I have checked for a birth 1870-1873 in arbroath but there is nothing :(

I have checked 1901 census for William for 42 Gellately Street, Dundee  but William isnt there..only the rest of the Mcgregor kids and Catherine died in 1897, so after she died I suspect William moved out and is living else where...

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just done a basic search on SP using Angus and it shows one match between 1871-1873

However - if I then show Arbroath - no match.   

I've checked the 1901 for plumbers but nothing - I'm just in the middle of checking the English and Welsh 1901 just in case

EDIT - nothing on the E & W 1901

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
carole..thank you for doing this it is much appreciated  ;D

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Afew months ago I got a message from a man  who wrote "For several years I've been researching the Barclays from Leuchars in Fife who moved to Dundee, and just came across your entry for Alexander Smith Barclay. However, I think you may have the wrong father for him!

You have his father as William Barclay, son of James Barclay and Margaret Smith, The 1891 census shows James Barclay (from Leuchars, Fife) in St Clement Dundee with his second wife, Agnes. With them is their son William, B 1870 Dundee, an unemployed labourer."

Now I thought this william was probably MINE because of the "Smith" name and also he may have been out of work as a plumber RE..unemployed labourer...this is why I am trying to find out as much as I can!!  and why he CANT be MY William  :(  because My William is with Catherine Mcgregor in 1891 and is 19 born Arbroath, forfarshire.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
This could be something and nothing but you may want to check it out to see if he was a plumber

The free index at http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/HomePageController.action has an entry for a William Barclay b 1873 leaving Glasgow for Quebec in 1898

You have to either buy credits or have a subscription to FindMyPast to see the list

As Alexander went to Canada ................

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:04 GMT (UK) »
..thanks Carole I shall have a look at the link..Alexander went out to Canada about 1909/10 and as far as I know never met up with his Dad..I am in touch with Alexander's grandson and he doesnt know anything about William....I have been trying to find out info this side of the globe and he is at the other side and we are piecing everything together.....as you can see any little details are much appreciated  ;D

kind regards
suzie