Author Topic: John Pole b.1829  (Read 14588 times)

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pole b.1829
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 February 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

William Pole married Annie Smalley on 12th December 1854. Looking at the bible, the second entry is now obviously Annie. She has reappeared by the 1871 census, with them now living in Checketts Close. Can't find her in 1861 with a cursory look, but its probably more important to find out where they fit. Now to pursue Robert through my records.

Richard
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 February 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s again. …Richard.

Re Second entry ……Annie Pole  b 21st. Feb 1831.:~

St: Mary’s Parish Church. LUBENHAM.
Annie. Daughter of John & Jane SMALLEY
Bapt. 13th. June.

And the third entry in the Bible …
John Smalley Pole. b.  29th.June 1855. .

Interesting entry for 1861 census returns for Anne Pole.

RG. 9. / 2281 / 110 / Page. 35. Leicester Road Belgrave.

Anne Pole. Servant. Mar. 30. Wet Nurse.   b  Lubenham. Leicestershire.

Within the household of John Chester Army Major Half pay.
On Page 34.

MIKE. ……
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh Mike that's brilliant again - I couldn't find her in 1861 as FindMyPast has her transcribed as Ann Dole - occupation "Webster"! That is obviously why her mother-in-law was looking after her 4 month old. I guess that was a useful way of supplementing the family income after weaning her own.
I continued with Robert b.1801 last night, son of Robert and Dorothy. Haven't found a marriage for Robert and Dorothy, but their eldest son (Edward b.1798 - later to be Parish Clerk and Postmaster of Belgrave) was born in Mountsorrel, although Robert and younger siblings were all Belgrave. A good candidate to be their father is Robert b.1769, son of Charles Pole and Ann Nickerson who feature in all our trees.

Thanks again

Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline cardworkshop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, in one of your letters you mentioned Yvonne, is that yvonne hall/Rainford as she is linked to me  {5th cousin}as well vie pole,  Ann Smith 1838, one of our 4x great grandparents are the same.
How do you link and with who?
I have a lot of Poles on my tree and have help Yvoone out as well when she had her poles muddled I thought is was bad enough with my name of Smith but Pole seems to be hard as well

Bye for now
Ann {in Somerset}

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
Yvonne and I are both descended from Charles Pole (b.1739)/ Ann Nickerson (b.1738ish). Yvonne is descended from their son Thomas (b.?1767) and I am in the line from William (b.1758). If you are connected through Ann Smith, you are probably also related to me through the Lumleys, as Martha Lumley was married to Cornelius Smith (b.1813) and my gran's grandmother was Sarah Lumley (b.1812). I'm sure Yvonne will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we met through Rootschat, when I tried to assist her with a Pole question when she was just beginning. I'm sure you saw Mike's comment about the Poles - there's millions of 'em. My gran was one of 12, of whom 11 lived to adulthood, but I have only met one descendant of her siblings - my mother rarely talked about her Pole cousins, and I never met any, or realised there were so many!
Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline cardworkshop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, Yes that's correct Ann Smith 1836-1916 married Richard Pole 1835-1907
Ann's Mother was Martha Lumley 1819-1903 father Cornelius Smith 1813

Cornelius 1813 father was John Smith 1780- 1854 mother Anne Derry 1779-1852 their daughter was Ann Smith 1816-1879 who married Charles Kinton 1818-1899

John's Mother Mary Harris 1761-1841 father John Smith 1761-1846 {my 4th great grandparents on my fathers side}
they had 4 sons and 3 daughters

John Smith 1761 father was Henry Smith 1730 mother Elizabeth 1734-1798 they had 8 sons and 3 daughters  That's as far as I can go so far with Henry but have more on children.

John Smith 1780 his brother William Miles smith 1782 {we don't really know where the miles came from} married the 2 Derry sisters john married Anne Derry and William married Sarah Derry 1784-1849

Here is my direct line

Henry SMITH (1730 - )
is your 5th great grandfather
John SMITH (1761 - 1846)
Son of Henry
William Miles SMITH (1782 - )
Son of John
Henry SMITH (1817 - 1890)
Son of William Miles
Thomas Henry SMITH (1840 - 1902)
Son of Henry
Robert Graham SMITH (1863 - 1940)
Son of Thomas Henry
Robert Stuart SMITH (1893 - 1952)
Son of Robert Graham
Ann Caroline SMITH

Your William Pole1758-1811 who married Elizabeth Harris 1760-1836 where my 4th great grand aunt & uncle
Elizabeth's Father John Smith 1724-1808 wife Mary Hall 1720-1795 are my 5th great grandparents it was her sister Mary Harris 1761 who married John Smith 1761 and so on and so on
I have got to Thomas Pole 1840 and eliza black 1841 with 11 children but only one link with son Walter pole 1882 married Gertrude Alice Waldram who had son Walter Horace 1903 and daughter Minnie Gertrude 1905-1990 {my 5th cousin 1x removed} she married Philip Arthur Kenney 1901-1948 who had 2 daughters one Daughter {my 6th cousin} married a Marshall

Hope you understand all that

Will sign off now as I don't want to bore you to much LOL

Bye for now
Ann {in Somerset}

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
Thomas and Eliza actually had 12 children, but the youngest died in infancy. My gran was Mary Ann Pole (b.1875), Walter's sister. She married William Wright who was born in Hinckley Workhouse, and went on to found W.Wright & Son, who were Builders in Loughborough Road in Belgrave - the company went on to build wooden bodies for lorries, vans and cars (and electric vehicles), and later caravans and eventually when my cousins took over, fibreglass boats for inland waterways. Although the business ended in the 70s, the house that my grandfather built is still there (behind a used car sales), and the workshops are still in use, though access is now from the rear. A second identical house that he built in Birstall (when he got fed up with being bothered when he wasn't working) is also still there.
Richard
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 March 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I've finally got the certificate - it turns out it was ELEANOR Pole - her mother's maiden name is given as HAMES (but as she made her mark, she will not have been in a position to correct the registrar) and father's occupation as Framework Knitter. This answers one question - John's father was Charles Pole, born Nottingham c.1811, a FWK who subsequently became a policeman. His mother was Elizabeth Eames from Birstall who was also born c.1811, and there were at least 3 sisters and 2 brothers, all younger than John.
I started with one doubt about my Pole tree, but have ended up with another. It seems clear to me, that the Charles who married Elizabeth Eames cannot be the Charles (b.1794) in Belgrave, son of Charles Pole and Elizabeth Oswin. Before going back to those from whom that part of my tree originated, it would be good to try to trace Charles b.1794. Any suggestions, anyone? Perhaps someone with access to burial records in Belgrave could look for that possibility prior to 1841.
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 March 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard..... :)

I was wondering if you had discovered who Charles the policeman was married to.....at least you have one of your questions answered ...... ::)

Burials - BELGRAVE ST PETER

CHARLES POLE - 31st Oct 1813 - aged 74

CHARLES POLE - 27th Jan 1833 - aged 38  ......... born abt 1795.....so it looks like this is your Charles?

Regards

Sheila.