Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87088 times)

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #117 on: Monday 17 February 14 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, it's been over 2 hours and nothing heard so here it is in open forum. As you enter the graveyard take the road up to the right, take the first left, cross over the first cross roads and at the next go left at the War Wall Screen. Take the next right, section 6 is now on your left hand side. Stop at the row with the large bush with a large tree just further back up the row. Two of the first few grave stones are clearly numbered 1485 and 1478. This gives you your direction of travel. After about 100M you will come to a double War Grave of Peter Callaghan and John Charters Young. This grave is No. 1434 (Courtesy of Apanderson). Lairs in this section are at 3 feet centres therefore it is just a case of measuring on to locate the centre of 1422, which is within that long green expanse of the row that is unmarked. Good luck, WW.
ps The file size available here is very limited 

Offline Seaniebhoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne I am looking for a better map of st kenigerns if u have one please ideally section 10 trying to identify lair 598

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 20:27 BST (UK) »
'Fraid not, sorry.

The CWGC stone in the photo below (Jefferson) is Section 10, Lair 560 and it's the closest I can find to Lair 598.

There's no quick way to find a specific lair - you really just have to check each stone for a number and try to figure out which way the lairs run.

You are looking for Lair 598, so if you start at Francis Jefferson's stone, the lair you're looking for will be 38 lairs away. (This could be in the same row, the row behind or the row facing depending on the numbering system)

Each Lair is 3 feet wide, so an option is to take a tape measure and make measurements in increments of three feet, or take something with you which you had pre-measured.

Of course you could go along and there's a stone there with the names you are looking for!!

Anne  :)

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 08 May 14 21:10 BST (UK) »

hi  i was wondering if any one could help me i have a cousin from australia over here at the end of may and she would like to go to st ketigerns cemetery to see the family graves.
i live in plymouth devon and we can only get her to glasgow for a couple of days.
i have lair numbers and section numbers.
will the lair numbers be any where for us to see as we dont have that much time to find them.
any help would be appreciated.

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 08 May 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Nissank, If you send me all the relevant information that you have ie., names, dates, lair and section numbers I will have a look for you, WW.

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 09 May 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nissank, If you send me all the relevant information that you have ie., names, dates, lair and section numbers I will have a look for you, WW.

this is so very kind of you i cant thank you enough for your offer of help
i have attached pictures all i have but hope they help
regards kathy

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 09 May 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy, it shouldn't be a problem, I'll be in touch, WW.

Offline Carol Crichton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 31 May 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am just new to the site so please bear with me.

I am trying to find where my grandparents are buried, I have the Section, Lair No and there was a memorial headstone placed, but no matter how long I look I can't find it. Unfortunately as I work I can only go weekends and there is noone there from the Cemetery staff to help.

I have a copy of the Title Deeds as they are detailed as follows:

Reference No. 14W31476
Cert No. 11149
Lair No. 667
Class B
Section 9

I know that Section 9 is split into two part and it also encroaches slightly into Section 10

The headstone was placed approximately June 1981 and the name would be Fitzpatrick

I also know that the lair held three and buried there are Thomas Fitzpatrick my great grandfather, Thomas Murphy my uncle and Joseph Fitzpatrick my grandfather, my grandmothers ashes were scattered there Catherine Fitzpatrick.

The headstone was erected by A. Jaconelli & Sons and the paperwork I have here is dated 09/06/1981

Unfortunately I have found that Section 9 has many headstones that have been damaged and I can only presume that this has happened to my grandparents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline fiona mcdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just joined this forum and hope someone can help.

I'm trying to find the Lair that my grandparents and aunt are buried in at St Kentigerns, Glasgow. I used to visit with my mother who has now passed away and twice my brother and I have been to try and find it with no luck, there are a few damaged stones knocked over in general are and it may be one of those.

I managed to get section and lair number which is section 22, Lair 549, the names on the stone are Mary Hervey (nee Platt), Mary Platt and Francis Platt with dates from 1969 to 1990.

Can anyone tell me how the rows etc work as it seems to be 2 big sections according to the map and I really want to find it this time so we can get it repaired and cleaned up.

Many thanks
Fiona