Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 86644 times)

Offline Carol Crichton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 14 July 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
Fiona, my parents are in Section 20 lair no 1356  My dad died August 1967 and the person to the right of him is september 1967. I will be at the cemetery over the weekend and will have a look for you. If you look on a stone already placed there should be a number and that is the lair number you could possibly work it out from there.  You could always call the cemetery and give them the details and ask them to place a marker, I did this with my grandparents recently, I told them I had searched for months and couldn't find it (the stone had fallen over) and they called me back and told me they had  placed the stone upright and once I found it I replaced the broken headstone.  I have the cemetery managers mobile number but don;t want to put it on the public forum.

Offline fiona mcdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 15 July 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol

if you would be able to have a quick look that would be very kind of you and much appreciated, my brother lives abroad and we have spent a good 6 hours at least searching on 2 occasions in what we thought was the area and came to the conclusion the stone was lying face down.

We really want to find it so we can look after it as there is no one else left in the family to do it and my Mum would have wanted that.

I managed to find the lair number by going through the Mitchell library with the little information I had as could not remember dates and have no death certificates and they were very helpful.

If you have any luck please let me know and if not I'll try and get that number off you to call the cemetery.

Kind regards
Fiona

Offline Carol Crichton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 17 July 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Fiona have sent you a pm

Offline Bikerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 13 August 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi to all you people interested in St Kentigern's. I found this thread purely by chance.I don't know why I haven't tried to find family graves in Glasgow before, I just assumed it would be a difficult task. So I visited The Mitchell this week on a whim and within 20 minutes of using their microfilm records found four family members in two graves in St Kentigern's.
I have section 2 lair 1471 and section 6 lair 2167. The family name is McElhinney.

I asked about the lair registers and was told that they are still in Edinburgh for digitisation. I note in this thread a similar comment from four years ago! I was also advised that for a fee of about £10 I can ask for the info I'm seeking but it could take up to 8 weeks for a reply. I'll pass.

Today I visited the cemetery for the first time (I've recently moved to the Maryhill area, so I'm close by). I doubt if there will be any headstones so this visit was more to get an idea of the look of the place. I have copy of the Glasgow City Council's cemetery map from the Mitchell's Family History website. I've noticed a slight difference between this and the one originally added to this thread. The council's map shows part of section 2 next to section 13, whereas the other shows this part as section 12. Could someone check for me please?

I didn't find the grave locations and trying to find the numbers on those stones still existing was not easy. I'd be grateful for any advice otherwise I'll visit another time when there might be staff around.
Denis
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Houlihan/Hoolaghan
Farrell
Gordon
McElhinney

Offline LisaAshley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 22 April 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
I have made to Glasgow from Los Angeles, just for a crazy 24 hours. I am heading to St. Kentigerns tomorrow, Monday. Any words of wisdom or helpful hints are grateful appreciated.
My Aunt, Robina McCann died at 2yrs in the late 1920s. Hopefully be found buried in St. Kentigern's cemetery in the north of Glasgow section, 6 lair, number  744, class A , registration 7663 .

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 22 April 18 23:35 BST (UK) »

Hi
There's a Robina McCann, died Govan in 1927, age 1

Hopefully be found buried in St. Kentigern's cemetery in the north of Glasgow section, 6 lair, number  744, class A , registration 7663 .

If I've got this right (no guarantee!) here's the lair book with that (need to be logged in)
Robina, 16 April 1927
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-19PS-H?i=813&cat=1321853

Register of lair owners - James Murphy, seems to tie in with the burial of Rose Ann Murphy in October 1908
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-Y9JQ-L?i=576&cat=1321853

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #132 on: Monday 23 July 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me who I would need to contact to put up a headstone on my great uncles grave to mark it as I know his grave number in this Cemetery.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Monday 23 July 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
You would need to get in touch with Glasgow City Council, see:

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17175

Anne  :)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Monday 23 July 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
I have contacted the council to see how much it will cost etc to put a memorial up.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran