Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 86637 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 September 11 07:35 BST (UK) »
There are two of the above type of stones in St. Kentigerns ......

There is a wee row of CWGC stones which sit behind, and backing onto the screen wall in Section 5.

Two of these are 'Special Memorials' - stones which commemorate, but do not mark the actual graves.

J. Devlin, Royal Artillery is buried in Section 11. Grave 1558 and J. Higgins, Pioneer Corps although buried in Section 5, Lair 1903 this stone is not in that actual 'spot'.

You'll notice the slight difference in wording at the top - Joseph Devlin's says "Known to be buried in this Cemetery" while John Higgins' says "Buried in this Cemetery"

Anne

Offline frankwhite1952

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 October 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
My Great Uncle, William White is also buried at St, Kentigens, so the information from previous postings have been very helpful.  William fell from, his ship, HMS Nereide in dry dock in Glasgow 30th June 1915. I am trying to gather information regarding the circumstances leading to his death. The cause of death is stated as. "killed or died by means other than disease, accident or enemy action" which sounds very confusing. if anyone visits the newspaper archives and find any info I would be most greatfull.  Also my great Aunt Honorah White, who was a Nun ( known as Sister Anthony, died at Poor claires convent laswade rd, Liberton, Edinburgh. However the convent I believe has beeen converted into housing. I wondered if anyone knows whwere the nuns are buried. she died Jan 1959

many thanks

frank White
Whites -Leicester,Rochdale and Preston
Wilson- Donegal Ireland

Offline frankwhite1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 October 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Anne , Just don,t believe it. My great Uncle name is on the bottom right of your St kentigens memorial picture

Many Thanks

Frank
Whites -Leicester,Rochdale and Preston
Wilson- Donegal Ireland

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 October 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank,

I've sent you a PM.

Anne

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 January 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi kieran357, I came across your post while doing some family research. My family is Gallagher from Donegal, my auntie is also Gallagher and I am trying to find her brothers grave who she believes was buried in St. kentigerns circa 1950. Any help would be much appreciated, I believe that the Mitchel has recordd of burials for this place at this era. Thamks in advance, Walter.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply.  From memory if you email the Mitchel library they will look up the death records for you.  What part of Donegal was your Gallaghers from as I have Gallaghers from Donegal in my tree.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 January 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kieran, my family and the Gallaghers I was looking for are from the Creeslough area. I am just back from the Mitchel, I found him all I have to do now is locate the lair from the No., I don't think it was marked at the time. WW

Offline gerry222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, First off,thank you for the map of the burial ground at st kentigerns, i am looking for a plot that is in area 13, i have the plot number but have no idea how to find its whereabouts

I walked round in circles on sunday looking for the plot( i believe it may have no headstone)does anyone know how the numbers work ? or where i can find the information

cheers

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

As you'll know, Section 13 is in 2 parts, one either side of the main road and quite a big area to cover ......

A wee tip I use is to visit the Commonwealth War Graves site and see if I can find any 1st/2nd World War graves as near as I can to what I'm looking for in a particular section.

See: http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=name&order=asc

The above link should take you to the first page for St. Kentigerns and once you get there, go through all the pages and note down all the names and lair numbers for each grave in Section 13. You'll eventually be able to figure out how the numbers run, but it won't be a five minute job once you get there!!

Alternatively, if you can go along Monday-Friday, there's usually either groundsmen around somewhere or there's someone in the wee office beside the crematorium (at the Western Necropolis gate further up the hill). They're usually very helpful but they can be quite hard to find as they work between all 3 cemeteries and you know how huge the area is.

Good luck!

Anne