Author Topic: 53 Hartwood Road  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
53 Hartwood Road
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me about the Seeds directory. Are they just relevant to Southport?
My aunt Sarah Elizabeth Routledge seems to have inherited 53 Hartwood Road, Ormskirk at some point.
A few months ago I was trying to identify a house which almost certainly turned out to be 53 Hartwood Road, also called Eldon Holme.
In 1901 and 1911 it was occupid by Thomas Hallam and his family.
In 1938 Sarah Elizabeth died whilst living in the house and left it to her sister Margaret Ellen Routledge.
In 1940 the house was destroyed by a bomb. I have found out through Rootschat members that the house was empty in 1914 and Sarah was living in it by 1924.
Does anyone know how I can find out when Sarah came to live in it.
I have family photo's around 1900 and in the 1920's/30's so I am now trying to find out the connection between the Hallam family and the Routledge family.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 53 Hartwood Road
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
If you mean 53 Hartwood Road Southport your best bet would be the Electoral Rolls. These are held at the moment at Local History Sefton North in Formby Library.

I think there was one done in 1914 and then the next would be 1918 and then one every year after that. These would show who had the vote in the house and as she owned the house it should show her. There are also other directories of Southport and these were done most years apart from the war years. Again the Local History Unit has copies of them. 

Gibel

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
I live in cumbria but would like to travel to the area for a few days break, so will combine that with visiting the local history unit.
Carol

Offline suttking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:26 GMT (UK) »
hi,
I have the Southport directory for 1924/5 and 53 Hartwood Road is listed. Occupier is Miss Sarah Elizabeth Routledge. House name confirmed as Eldon Holme. She is the only Routledge listed in the directory. Sadly the house does seem to have been destroyed as more modern bungalows in this part of the street today
Regards, Paul.
King, Liverpool, Dent, Lunds
Jones, Liverpool,Hawarden,Llanarmon
Simpson, Bethnal Green
Marins, Liverpool

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 11 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Paul, the fact that the house name is Eldon Holme confirms I have the right house.
Carol

Offline suttking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Carol
Out of interest there is only one Hallam listed at this time. Miss Eleanor Hallam, 50 Shaws Road Birkdale.

The house next door to your 53 Hartwood Road was a boarding school known as Metfield (55/57). It was pretty extensive with its own private gymnasium, there is an advert for it complete with picture in the directory.     
King, Liverpool, Dent, Lunds
Jones, Liverpool,Hawarden,Llanarmon
Simpson, Bethnal Green
Marins, Liverpool

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting because Thomas Hallam was a school inspector.
Carol

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Was there some connection between the owners of 53 Hartwood Road and a Laundry in Southport? I seem to recall hearing something about that. Can't remember where or when, though. sorry.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my ggg aunt Sarah Elizabeth Routledge was running or owned the 'The Ideal Laundry (southport) Co Ltd on Brooke Street in Southport. I do not know how she came to be there because she was originally living in Carlisle. She went to live with her Aunt Harriett Hay who lived at 104 Windsor Road. Harriett is the sister of Sarah's mother Margaret nee Henderson. At some point Sarah I presume bought 53 Hartwood Road, she lived there until she died possibly with her sister Margaret Ellen known as Nelly. I have pictures of different family members at this house and am trying to put names to faces, in particular an elderly gentleman who appears regularily. Harriett was married to David Hay who was a chemist possibly in Southport.
Thank you for your interest.
Carol