Author Topic: Completed with Thanks - LINGS Turkish Delight  (Read 19943 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed with Thanks - LINGS Turkish Delight
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Memory faulty, "Ching's" Cigarettes!"  :)

Skoosh.

Offline Patricia Clark

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I hope it's still possible to comment on this page found during my search for Lings Turkish Delight. I was born in 1942 in Lee Green, S E London. At that time our dear friend and next door neighbour was a "foreign" gentleman who my mother and grandmother called Mr Ling. Mr Ling was very kind to me and often presented us with a tin of Lings Turkish Delight. My mother told me then that he made Lings Turkish Delight. I thought the name Ling was of Chinese origin and knew little of other countries at that time. Although we moved to a new home after the war, my grandmother remained in that house until she passed away and I remember that Mr Ling was still living there. My father kept in touch for a few years but then we sold the house. Lately I was thinking of that beautiful Turkish Delight and wondered what happened to Mr Ling and if the Turkish Delight can still be found somewhere. Wikipedia refers to Fry's purchasing the product but not sure if it is the same one. Was really interested in the comments posted here. I suspect this will remain a mystery for me but would like to thank you all for the info posted here xxx 

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 15 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I hope it's still possible to comment on this page found during my search for Lings Turkish Delight.  Lately I was thinking of that beautiful Turkish Delight and wondered what happened to Mr Ling and if the Turkish Delight can still be found somewhere. Wikipedia refers to Fry's purchasing the product but not sure if it is the same one.

Hi Patricia, and a big welcome to Rootschat.    You will be amazed at what you will learn from this friendly forum.    Fry's Turkish Delight is different in that it is coated in chocolate and of a lighter and more jelly like constitution than the real thing which is chewier and called Lokum.   Most supermarkets have the latter product here in Australia.

It is sung about in a well known Turkish Classical song which Eartha Kitt jazzed up and speeded up - you would hardly recognise the original Turkish version:
"Üsküdar'a gider iken bir mendil buldum 2x
Mendilimin içine lokum doldurdum 2x

And on the way they fall deeply in love.
He's wearing a stiff collar...
In a full dress suit...
She looks at him longingly through her light veil
And casually feeds him candy (turkish delight)-
Oh, those Turks!"

It can have a green or a pink tint (when the traditional Rose Water is used)  depending on the ingredients and often has nuts.   Eartha Kitt's version was taken up by Boney M and given completely different words in their 'Rasputin' which ends with 'Oh Those Russians'.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Richard Evans

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 March 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
While in my local department shop on Saturday, I spotted some Christmas stock being sold off, Frederick Lings Ginger featuring the crest of the business & yr established, produced in China & imported by Love Confectionery Coventry Road Birmingham.

After some research I discovered that Love Confectionery are part of Robert Walker Confectionery, established 30 years ago. I've tried to email the company without success for history of Lings.

Offline Davey101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
The Lings factory was in Kemble Road, Forest Hill, SE23 back in the '60's which was a cul-de-sac back then I think. I visited it as a GPO Telecoms apprentice around 1966/67. One of the phones was dead and me being the dogsbody had to trace the cable tottering on a rather dodgy ladder all the way through the factory. The cable was buried under layers and layers of fine white powder which was used to dust the Turkish delight, and it was everywhere. I remember from my high position seeing a number of large copper vat mixing bowls (six I think) of which some had the sticky rose coloured turkish delight in them. The bowls were about my height. At that time Lings TD was sold in FW Woolworth's in small round wooden wicker boxes, not sure if that was all year round but definitely at Christmas. The publication "Sydenham and Forest Hill Through Time" says that Lings were previously located at 125 Sydenham Road which was later taken over by Criterion Ices owned by Jame Valenti an Italian by birth who oddly also ran the local Fish Mongers.

Offline Julie Childs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 September 19 22:48 BST (UK) »

While in my local department shop on Saturday, I spotted some Christmas stock being sold off, Frederick Lings Ginger featuring the crest of the business & yr established, produced in China & imported by Love Confectionery Coventry Road Birmingham.

After some research I discovered that Love Confectionery are part of Robert Walker Confectionery, established 30 years ago. I've tried to email the company without success for history of Lings.

I remember Bob Walker, his son ian took over with Jessica, as far as I know they moved the company to Bedford, not sure where it went after that, I think over seas to China

Kind regards

Offline Jak3691

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
Lings Turkish Delight was the absolute best!! You used to be able to buy it in Woolworths.