Author Topic: Hadleigh and Hadleigh Hamlet Look Up Please  (Read 6143 times)

Offline stow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hadleigh and Hadleigh Hamlet Look Up Please
« on: Monday 07 February 11 04:32 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some missing children. The information that I have is as follows: Joseph Glanfield Stow married Mary Ann Garnham 1861. Their first child Joseph Glanfield (Jnr) was born 1863 Hadleigh Hamlet. Their second child Mary Kate was born 1865 Hadleigh Hamlet. Then there is a gap of 14 years before the birth of the next child Alice Lizzie Valentine in 1879 Hadleigh Hamlet and a last child Sarah Bessie born 1883 Hadleigh.
Would someone be able to look up the records for Hadleigh Hamlet and Hadleigh to see if there are children born to Joseph and Mary Ann between the years 1866-1878.
All assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Leonie
Stow, Sabine, Randolph, Eppes, Isham

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hadleigh and Hadleigh Hamlet Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 11 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hadleigh Hamlet does not have its own records as it is not a parish and only a hamlet. There is no church there. In my experience the records of Hadleigh Hamlet inhabitants can be found in the parish records of Hadleigh, Polstead & particularly Boxford.
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
As Kevin has pointed out, Hadleigh Hamlet is a hamlet within the parish of Boxford.

You may be interested to know that in my White's of 1844 Henry Glandfield Stow is listed under residents as farmer and (registrar).   As a hamlet only nine residents are listed, so he obviously had a position within the community.

On checking my 1855 copy, he is again listed with same occupation/s.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leonie

1881C Joseph Glanfield STOW & wife Mary Ann are living at Green Farm, Hadleigh with Alice Lizzie Valentine  daug b c1879 Hadleigh Hamlet. 

1891C Joseph & Mary are in Bridge Street, Hadleigh with daughters
Alice EV 1879 Hadleigh &  Sarah BS 1883 Hadleigh. 

Joseph gives his dob as c1831 & pob as Long Melford.Mary Ann c1841 - Earl Stonham.

There was certainly a birth Joseph Glanfield STOW registered in JunQ1863 Cosford Ref: 4a/478 also a birth Mary Kate STOW SepQ 1865 Ref: 4a/426 also Cosford. 

1871C Shows a Joseph Glanfield STOW c1799 & Sarah White STOW c 1797 living in Hadleigh Hamlet.

K

Offline stow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your input.

What I am really after are the missing children presumably born between 1866-1878 inclusive, to Joseph Glanfield Stow and Mary Ann Garnham, in the parish of Hadleigh or Boxford.

My information indicates that Joseph and Mary Ann remained married and lived to an old age.

I'm sure, there would be children  during the above years, in addition to the 2 early and 2 later births already mentioned.

Thanks,
Leonie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 06:24 GMT (UK) »
If there were more children you would expect them to appear with Joseph and Mary Ann in the 1871 and 1881 censuses (except for Sarah b 1883)? K found them with just Alice in 1881. Maybe they lost some children in those intervening years ...

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Well Leonie eventually I have found your elusive family on the 1871C - my browser has them recorded as Joseph Greenfield STOUR 1831 living at Cox Hill, Hadleigh Hamlet.  Mary Ann wife 1841 & Mary Kate daug 1866 plus 2 servants.  The writing on the actual return is poor so I am not surprised it has been misinterpretted.  No sign of a son Joseph though.

In 1841/1851/1861 Joseph is living with his parents Joseph & Sarah in Wicket St Green, Hadleigh.  He appears to have a brother Samuel 1833 & a sister Elizabeth 1829.

1871 Seems to indicate that his brother Samuel has married a Susannah and are living at Codenham Hall, Boxford - they don't appear to have a Joseph 1863 either! They do have a Frederick 1867 & an Eva Ellen 1869.

I hope this helps a little more
K

ps.  Looks like Samuel & Susannah were married in 1864 (FreeBMD) so Joseph 1863 is probably not their son.  I wonder if Joseph G jnr 1863 was sent away to school?  The family seemed fairly affluent so it might account for why he is not at home on the 1871C.  He certainly appears on subsequent census returns as I am sure you know.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
As I live within the Boxford benefice, just a couple of notes regarding locations found in the census by the intrepid Keziah2 (well done  :D

Wicker Street Green
is a hamlet between the parishes of Boxford and Kersey, and actually within the parish of Kersey.  So possibly another village to add to the list for searches.

Codenham (or Coddenham) Hall is mentioned in White's 1844 as an ancient mansion formerly the seat of the Brands and the Bennets.

I have checked in 'Suffolk Houses' and although it is mentioned only to give the location, I have not been able to find it on an ordnance survey map - and both our Boxford books are missing!  Can't find them anywhere. 
It is not listed in houses that have fallen down/demolished/burned, so I presume it must be in Boxford somewhere  ::)
If you did want to know more, I do have a Local History Recorder in the village should you wish to contact him.

Cox Hill is closed at the moment  :o
As the main road through our village is closed at the moment for road works, I have been driving along our lane and through to Boxford to pick up the main road for meetings in Ipswich.  When I returned home later in the day, Cox Hill was also closed due to road works (I think at the moment half of south Suffolk is having road repairs).

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline stow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 February 11 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all the interesting information.

I am planning a trip to UK in 2013, and will be spending a lot of time in and around Hadleigh, Boxford etc and hope to see some of these old buildings.

Many thanks,
Leonie