Author Topic: St. Marys Roman Catholic Parish, Boherbue, County Cork.  (Read 18006 times)

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Marys Roman Catholic Parish, Boherbue, County Cork.
« on: Monday 07 February 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
              I wonder if there is a link to research the records at St. Marys Roman Catholic Church, Boherbue, County Cork.
Having all but given up on researching my Irish ancestors I have come across a Mary Walsh and a John Twomey in that parish and although the surname I have for John is "Tomney" I thought it near enough to have a look at it.
My Mary Walsh was born abt 1817 and John abt 1821.
If I can find that a Mary Walsh and a John Twomey (Tomney) married in that parish then I am home and dry, at least that is my hope.
They were definitely Roman Catholic and had three children - Mary born 1836, Elizabeth born 1840 and John born 1848 when my great grandfather Edward Stephen was born 1849 on Spike Island , County Cork. (The whole family were on Spike in John's business capacity of clothiers broker, but moved to England by the 1851 census which just gives Ireland as their place of birth except for Edward Stephen who I know was born on Spike Island.)
I have tried before to nail them down to a parish and this is the closest I have got so if anyone can help I would be most grateful,
Jean.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St. Marys Roman Catholic Parish, Boherbue, County Cork.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Boherbue, although in Cork, is in the Diocese of Kerry
http://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/parish.php?parish=Boherbue&sec=news

Some RC records are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie but I couldn't see the marriage you were looking for. The records are also available on microfilm in the National Library, Dublin
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see Boherbue is near Kanturk, and quite a distance from Spike Island..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Guidingspirit
I just reread your post and see that John was born c1821 but had his first child in 1836??
There is a marriage record of a Mary Walsh & John Twomey in Rathmore parish in 1859.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help.
I am still at a loss as to where to find them.
I do agree that the dates of birth seem wrong with Mary Walsh said to be born 1817 and John Tomney born 1821 with their first child, Mary, born 1836 but without actual birth certificates or parish records I think it must have been a guessing game.
Even their death certificates confuse things even further with Mary said to be 56 when she died in 1879 (making her date of birth 1823) and John said to be 63 when he died in 1885 (making his date of birth 1822).
The only positive thing I have to go on is that Edward Stephen Tomney was born on Spike Island in 1849, I am presuming that he must have been baptized as the family were Roman Catholic and I understand that children are normally baptized soon after birth.
I think I may have to concede defeat on this one which is a great pity as I would have loved to have made the Irish connection stronger.
Thank you anyway,
Jean

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

It's Mary, I have kept you in mind doing all my searches.  The only Tomney I came up with since is on the Ireland-AustraliaTransportation list.  A Patrick Tomney served in the 15th Foot Regiment and was held at Spike Island gaol
in 1857.  This man might not be connected to you at all.

Go into www.nationalarchives.ie then select online finding  aid database,
then go down to Misc Data base and from this group select Ireland-Australia Transportation list.  Key in Tomney in search and Patrick is the only one that comes up.  I would have to go back to my registers to see if there was a Patrick in your family - it's a bit late now.  Have a look anyway and see what you think.

It is frustrating when it is taking so long.

We will crack this one yet!!!!

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mary,

You must have known that I have been thinking of you and intending to make contact.

God Bless you for continuing to think of me and I will definitely have a look at this although there is no Patrick in my family that I know of and by 1851 my Tomney's were in Manchester, Lancashire, England. Could be a relative though?

Nevertheless, it is just good to know that there are "Tomney's" in Ireland at all and they are not just a figment of my imagination.

I have made contact with a researcher called Kevin who lives in Cork and it has sparked his interest so he is going to look into it for me (just £10 towards his travel cost which I think is very reasonable). He feels that John Tomney and his family were on Spike Island in some sort of military capacity and I still think that that is the case, maybe with the Irish army as my research with the British army drew a blank.

I hope that all is well with you and I will certainly let you know if I get any joy.

Kindest regards,

Jean.

Offline Molly Egan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.rootsireland.ie for records prior to 1845 for St. Mary R.C. Church, Boherbue, Co. Cork, Ireland. The Church was indeed torn down. Records were recorded by the Church of Ireland, which is why there are so many Catholic buried in the existing cemetery. Email: archivist[-at-]corkcity.ie for additional assistance. Best of luck!

Offline celtlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 12 02:51 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my wife's family history.  We're now fairly confident that her great-grandfather, Cornelius Foley (born 1832), her great-grandmother, Margaret Murphy (born 1834), and her grandmother Julia Teresa Foley (born abt 1870) all emigrated from Carrigaline circa 1885.  They were likely members of St. Mary's Parish in Boherbue, although I am having some difficulty obtaining a marriage record for Cornelius and Margaret and/or a baptismal certificate for Julia. If any of these names ring a bell, please drop me a line.  *. Slan!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

I am sorry but my emails are not working