Author Topic: Help in Finding Scally's Cottages  (Read 9992 times)

Offline juls72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in Finding Scally's Cottages
« on: Tuesday 08 February 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, ;D

Can anyone help me, I am trying to trace my Irish roots with very little success, I know my Greatgrandfather Thomas Lawrence Ellis lived in 8a Scally's cottages in 1901 with his Wife Bridgett Barrett ( who's family also lived in Scally's cottages) they lived there with 4 children Michael 12 Henry 10 Thomas 7 Elizabeth 2,

I'm trying to find out where Scally's cottages are there is no map showing them or where they are, one of my relatives who still is in Ireland thinks they where around the North Dock not far form Customs House, But looking at old maps i cannot find them anywhere, ???

Can someone please point me in the right direction? ::)

Many Thanks :D Jul's

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help in Finding Scally's Cottages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juls:
Scally's Cottages were in the North Dock ward according to the 1901 and 1911 census. I notice also that the parish is shown as St. Thomas. Hopefully this helps a little.
Good luck,
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Scally's cottages were off Lwr Mayor Street, which runs parallel to North Wall Quay and near to George's dock.

The cottages are shown on the 1890s OSI map - see : Scally's Cottages  (select the 25" option)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline damod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Heya,
My wifes family are Barretts and are from the same area. The cottages are long gone now. In there place is the Irish Financial Services Centre.. do u have any other info on Bridgettes children as its quite possible they are relations of my wife!! My wifes mother is a Barrett and has about 8 siblings so im sure there is a connection there. If the kids are only between 2 and 12 they could be my wifes great great grandparents!! :) and most still live in the area...

Offline juls72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
That's amazing Patrick Barrett was bridgets brother I have lots of info about thomas Ellis and bridgets kids id love to email as you have been the only connection in Ireland I've found and I think it's great.
Please email me and I can send you some things
I do know Elizabeth died and they had more kids one of those was my grandfather John Joseph Ellis they also had Julia too I was named after her she was an amazing lady.
Anyway please email me and see if we have a connection

Julie  ;D

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please use PM (Personal message) to exchange personal details. New members require three posts before they have full access to the PM system.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline damod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
i spoke to my mother in law and her granddad was Michael and lived in scally cottage so looks like we are defo reflated :D.. i need to post one more post after this to enable me to PM so ignore the next post!!

Offline damod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
i know i said ignore this post but if Thomas is your great grandad and michael is my mother in laws grandad, that makes Thomas her great grandad to so you must be my mother in laws cousin!... welcome to the family ;D

Offline damod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
ok so her grandad is patrick. it was confirmed today...

Offline juls72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok so Patrick had a sister Bridget who married a man called Thomas Ellis they had 6 kids , one died Elizabeth but all the others survived John Joseph Ellis is my granddad so bridgett is my great grand mother  which makes Patrick my great uncle which means we are cousins somewhere down the line . Which is great cannot believe I've found someone I'm related too in Ireland my dad is so excited he has a cousin on the barretts side he remembers a christie Barrett if you wife knows them they lived in Cheshire not far from him. I have pictures of  the 3 eldest boys of bridgett in there military uniform and I only have one picture of my grandad John and a picture if Julia as an elderly lady. I don't have any pics of bridgett or Thomas which is a shame . I currently live in Brisbane Australia moved out here 4 yrs ago and have been doing the family tree for that long never been able to find out who bridgetts parents where so any info there would be great.
Julie :)