Author Topic: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.  (Read 52961 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.
« on: Monday 18 April 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
How many cemeteries are there in HAWICK,Rox., and what are their names?
Thanks in advance.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 23:18 BST (UK) »
Wilton Cemetary
Wellogate Cemetary
St Mary's (no longer in use)

As far as I am aware these are the only three

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the confirmation...those 3 are what I had thought but was not 100%.
Do you live in Scotland?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 23:44 BST (UK) »
I do indeed......Hawick to be precise  ;)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 00:04 BST (UK) »
Oh My Gosh!!  THAT is where the core of my research is.from all my studies I feel that I almost know the past people of Hawick..You will see at the bottom of my post most of the families in Hawick I am researching.Are you researching any of them.? What names a re you researching in Hawick or Berwickshire,that is another heavey area I am researching.
By the way...I am in Calgary Alberta Canada,orginally fron BC Canada.
I seem to have so many questions!

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 00:10 BST (UK) »
At the moment I'm looking for the Rae, Cranston and Bogle families, although to be honest I have not as yet done any serious looking.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you  :)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
               I have a Jemima Rea who was born c1828 in either Wilton/Hawick,Rox.Her parents were Margaret Cunning and John Rae.
I find the spelling will change so look at them all.
Jemima Rea married George Huggan Dec 28 1846 in Hawick.
They ended up having 8 children.
If you have access to the 1901 census.I am looking for this couple:
Herriet M Huggan  and James Riddell and their 1 st child.
Reason being is I have a 4 generation photo and have tracked down the 3 women,just need to know the baby's name.I believe the baby to be born between 1899 and 1901.
Many thanks.
I have the complete monumental Inscriptions for St Marys and Wellogate,...can I look anything up in there,other that those 3 names..which I will do this evening.
I am sure I will have a few more questions for you.
Do you belong to the Hawick Archaeological Society?

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thisty...I found 1 reference to RAE in St Mary's Churchyard:RACHEL RAE born c 1795 and died May 14 1866 age 71 years.She was the wife of a Robert Laidlaw 1792-1878.
They are buried in Compartment "C" ,Row 19. #7.
There were no Bogle or Cranston names in either Wellogate or St Mary's .
I do not have the M.I for Wilton Churchyard.
My Great grandfather ROBERT WALDIE and his wife Elizabeth Richardson with their 11 children went to Nelson BC Canada in about 1910,several of the elder sons came earlier (about)1904 and built the large family home,and my grandfather,also a Robert Waldie built a home  as my grandmother whom he had not yet married was arriving in 1910.

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that info, I'll see if I can tie them into my tree anywhere. 

I have been told that my gt grandmother Alice Bogle (nee Rae) is buried in Wellogate cemetary altho no one is certain of the exact location. Her parents Robert Rae and Margaret (Wright) are also buried in Hawick but again I can't seem to find out where.

I'll do my best to get a copy of the 1901 census  :)

Not a member of the archaeological society but I may look into joining soon