Author Topic: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.  (Read 52990 times)

Offline GoudieDB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 20 April 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre, I have just come across this note again! I am most interested in the information you supplied - thanks. I have just found Elizabeth's birth record - she was registered as Betsy as you noted but I didn't think that she would actually be registered as Betsy. Elizabeth is also my g grandmother through her son Bruce Charles. I assume you are related via one of her daughters - was it one of the 2 who married Lidstons. I would be pleased to receive any further information which you have and to exchange any info which I have. I have just found a picture of the headstone of the grave of Elizabeth and Bruce in Karori Cemetery. Kind regards David Goudie

Offline Cousin Cath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1849 cholera deaths in Hawick -John Turnbull
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the comment that "Cholera struck Hawick and Wilton  on July 31 1849"

John Turnbull, a joiner, and his wife Margaret Murray were listed in 1841 Hawick census at 10 High Street, back house...and do not appear in 1851 census. A sasine transfer of property to his son-in-law, Thomas Brunton, in 1849 leads me to believe that John died in 1849. John may have been born 1 Aug 1781 and Margaret 17 Sep 1785 and I am hoping that info on their deaths will help confirm birth dates. The ages given  for John and Margaret in the 1841 census were 60 and 55.

Their first born son John Turnbull born 1 April 1807 seems to have also died about 1849 either in Hawick or Canada.

I am hoping that someone has seen or has a MI for the deaths of the two John Turnbulls and Margaret Murray Turnbull.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Cholera hit Hawick & Wilton a few times.

As for MI's a register was attempted for the cemeteries for Hawick & wilton (but not complete) back in the 1950/60's - hard to make sense of

There's still no current MI's books - cemeteries very large, most of the local books have be production by the local Family History societies relying on volunteers.

NB: not every burial has a stone.

Each cemetery should have a Lair Books - (register of Burials) generally held by the Local Authority not the cemetery.

Also if in the Cholera pits - no stones - you would have to check the lair book

I'm a Turnbull so, I'll have a look through some of my records/strays to see if they show up.

the address of 10 High Street sound familar - Turnbull the Drapers were based around there.

Offline ellio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
There was a church now deolished  and cemetery at the bottom of Dickson Street Hawick Ellio

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters!  I am hoping someone can please tell me IF there is a MI for James BEST who died 22 November 1843 in Hawick.  I am especially keen to know if there could possibly be any reference to his wife: Harriet/Herriot PAXTON and/or his daughter, Anne BEST who was born in 1839 in Norham, NBL, England.  Thank you kindly for any and all information.  (I believe that I have found Anne living with Elizabeth Best (James' Sister) and her husband, James Taylor in the following census.) After that, her trail, as well as that of her Mother goes cold.   :'(  Sincerely, Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Ellio the church you are wrote about was the old Wilton Church, where my GGGrandfather William Reid was sexton for over 40years - It was disused for years and the new one was build adjacent Dickson Street, Wilton - The old one was demolish in the late 60's early 70's - and the graveyard was grassed over later -some stones were saved but not many and place next to the adjacent wall, because family members were still connected or traced to Hawick at the time. Both the new Wilton & Wellogate cemeteries started around the mid 1800's

MI's - for Wilton & Hawick are very sketchy and where produced in the 60's and not up dated as yet.  SBC have the Lair Books - check with burial servces dept.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 02 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
Patrexjax….I have found a M.I. for your folks…
It is in "a Register of Monumental Inscription's in St.Mary's Churchyard,Hawick"
(second paper)…1936
Edited with notes by James H. Haining

Compartment "D"…Starts from South West corner and goes due South towards middle of Kirkyard. The other boundary of this division goes from same corner of Church in a nearly straight line to head of Kirkwynd,where there once was an entrance,the pathway to which is still discernible.

Comp."D"  Row XV  #5

Head stone:
Erected in memory of Herriot Paxton,spouse to James Best,Carrier,Hawick, who died on the 13th of June 1842,aged 35 years and of Thomas Best,their son,who died  on the 9th of February 1843 aged 81 (years), and ……..4 months,….and the above James Best,died in Kelso,24 184- age 34 years.
   James went from High Street every Tuesday to Kelso and Berwick.

Hope this helps a bit…I copied it exactly…….Cheers Ann

NOTE: Be careful with date and age of " Thomas Best" as their is a miscopy somewhere.
           Also remember this was done back in 1935 and the stone could well have be worn by then
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann!  THANK YOU!  You have broken down a 30 year old brick wall.  At last I know where and when my 2xgreatgrandmother died.  I will be eternally grateful to you.   AND, now I know they had another child.....and, I do agree with you that there was a mistranscription somewhere because that son would have died in infancy or thereabouts.  With many, many thanks!  Sincerely, Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 02 July 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
  You are very welcome…….and so glad it knocked down that brick wall.
I did check all 3 M.I for Hawick and Wilton….and that was the only Best & Paxton names that appeared.
   Enjoy   Ann
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger