Author Topic: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.  (Read 52963 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
I am going to go through the Wellogate M. I.'s again and see if I can see anything I missed(?) or if there is something strange.
The has should have copies of all 3 cemeteries that you could go through as well.Plus heaven only knows what else they have.I well imagine transcriptions of other churchyards too!
If I lived in Hawick I would most certainly utilize the HawicK Archaeological Society,as long as they have copies of all their previous years yearly printed books.I have  the books from 1980-1987.A wealth of info.I think that I might even have to join again just to satisfy all my inquisitiveness about Hawick.
Such wonderful rich history!I have a Margaret Wright born c 1730 who married a James Waldie c1758 and had 4 known children.I will snoop through what I have and see what I can find.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Well I'm planning a trip round Wellogate cemetary this weekend (weather allowing) let me know if there are any graves you'd like to hunt out for you.

:)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 June 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Wellogate Cemetery opened in 1849.
The 1st person buried there was  a Robert Turnbull age 17 years old. He was buried July 13 1849.
Cholera struck Hawick and Wilton and on July 31 1849 the 1st   victim buried was Margaret Miller,she was the wife of John Crummie.
Two of the middle areas of Wellogate Cemetery were used .for Cholera victims...area 3 & 5 were used for the burials.
Cholera claimed 141 from Hawick and 56 from Wilton
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 June 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
OOPS...forgot to tell you that the last victim of Cholera who died and was buried in Wellogate ,was buried on Nov 18 1849.
Thought I should finish that off...Interesting!

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Well I'm planning a trip round Wellogate cemetary this weekend (weather allowing) let me know if there are any graves you'd like to hunt out for you.

:)
Morning Thisty...thought I would touch bases with you to see if you got out to the cemetery.
WALDIE is presently what I am chasing!Am attempting a full study on all of them,that way I can sort them into families..Yikes!..I think I bit off more than I can do..Oh Well..it is a challenge.
If you can nae find your folks in Hawick,try Jedburg as well.
I am seeking the full monumental Inscriptions for WILTON CEMETERY,keep in touch and let me know how you are making out.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi guys (ajjbc & Thirsty),

I couldn't help but notice your thread about Hawick Cemeteries and I wondered if you might be able to help me out

I am searching for the grave/MI of Agnes Stainton wife of James Stainton who died in Hawick, Rox between 1832 and 1840. She was probably around 40yrs old  :-\

Which cemeteries were in use then? Do either of you know where I should start looking? I am in Australia and I haven't even been able to search through the death/burial records yet

Thanks so much :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi guys (ajjbc & Thirsty),

I couldn't help but notice your thread about Hawick Cemeteries and I wondered if you might be able to help me out

I am searching for the grave/MI of Agnes Stainton wife of James Stainton who died in Hawick, Rox between 1832 and 1840. She was probably around 40yrs old  :-\

Which cemeteries were in use then? Do either of you know where I should start looking? I am in Australia and I haven't even been able to search through the death/burial records yet

Thanks so much :)

Jenny
Do you know Agnes  maiden name?(the wife of James Stainton)
I will go throught the M.I.s  that I have for Hawick.
There is a possibility that they were buried in Wilton Cemetery too...but..one never knows.
Will get back to you.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Jenny,...I have just gone through the M.I. for both St Mary's Churchyard and Wellogate Cemetery in Hawick and there are no STAINTON's listed.
Could well be buried in Wilton which is just on the other side of the river from Hawick...I do not have those.
What was Agnes's maiden name?... AND... where were both of these folks born?

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi aajjbc, just to let you know that after a good hour traipsing through Wellogate cemetary I eventually found my great grandparent's (Alice Helen Rae and Thomas Bogle) grave. 

I'll jot down any details of Waldie graves that I see next time I have a look around for you.

Jenny, I'll keep an eye out for the graves you are looking for too, if they are buried in the Wilton cemetary it should be fairly easy as it's a relatively small cemetary although it has suffered at the hands of vandals so many older stones are now either gone or illegible.  I'll let you know if and when I find them .

;)