Author Topic: Goodliffe family Wakerley  (Read 11115 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Goodliffe family Wakerley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
HI Tony.

I looked at the records at Northampton Library although they
would also be able to viewed at Northamptonshire Record Office.

Well it would certainly hide the fact that Robert was illegitimate.

Glad to have helped.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Aughton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 June 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony,

I have only just seen your query. I have the same Goodliffe line in Wakerley.

Your Catherine was the daughter of John Goodliffe and Charlotte Green (his second wife) as others have mentioned. My ancestor was James, a son by his first wife, Sarah Scotney. I visited Wakereley churchyard a few years ago and ther was a clear gravestone for Sarah.
 The Goodliffes came to Wakerley from Morcott in Rutland about 1750 and before that Gretton in Northants about 1710. The earliest record I have found is 1581 in Gretton withe a daughter to Lion Goodliffe, who is already married. I do not know where he came from but there were Goodliffes nearby as early as 1521 and Lion (not Lionel) is a locally used name at this period.
A direct link can be shown for this line and I can supply more details if you are interested.

Peter Rolfe

Offline sulasa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 May 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Would you be Tony Johnson son of Betty Johnson of King Street Kettering. I am the daughter of Tony Plant whose mother was Evelyn May York, daughter of Mary Ann Eliza York, whose mother was Eliza Clithero. I believe Eliza married Robert Goodliffe and went on to have daughters Beatie, Lil, Alice and Esther.  I have just started work on the family tree and sorting old family photos.  Any information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks  Sue Plain