Author Topic: Robert NUNN  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Peachface1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert NUNN
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 03:41 GMT (UK) »
I would very much appreciate some help finding Robert Nunn (born 1797 in Eye).  I think he married Mary Downing on the 12th March 1822, and lived in Mellis around the 1841 and 1851 census  time.  I would like to confirm whether he was the son of Robert Nunn and a Sarah (unknown), marriage unknown.

There were so many Nunns around that area, I have got a little lost.

Many thanks.

Peachface1947

::)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Nunn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Suffollk :)

You are absolutely right there are a great many Nunn's and a lot of them lived in the parishes around Mellis according to the Suffolk Burial Index.

Yes according to the Suffolk Marriage index he married Mary Downing on the date you state in Mellis.  There is nothing to indicate either of them came from outside of the parish.

I have tracked down Robert Nunn wdr on the 1851C living in Mellis - gives his yob as 1974 & his pob as Mellis.  He has with him 2 sons William 1828 & Job 1834. 

in 1841  Robert c1796 &  Mary c1801 were in Mellis with children
Harriot 1823, Thomas 1824, George 1830 & Job 1833.

William 1828  is not with them in 1841 but there are 2 William Nunn's listed on the census in 1841 both in the Hartismere District one obviously part of a family living in Thornham Parva just down the road & the other living in Mellis with a John & Sarah HAMMOND.  He could have been lodging with them, he might have been employed by them or they might have been relations but there is no way of telling.

The Suffolk Burial Index lists a Mary NUNN buried in Mellis 5 February 1851 age 49, which would tie in with the yob given in 1841 & Robert stating he is a widower in 1851.

I also found a Robert Nunn c 1795 born Eye on the 1851C living in Bury St Edmunds - described himself as a 'Prof of Music & Dance.

I haven't yet found Robert (Mellis) Nunn on the 1861C but Robert (Eye) Nunn is still living in BSE still with his music.

In 1871 Robert (Mellis) Nunn crops up again aged 81 living at the Falcon Inn, Mellis but he doesn't appear in 1881.

The Suffolk Burial Index gives a Robert NUNN, abode Eye UH, buried 8 Feb 1877 age 89 buried at St Mary, Mellis.

It looks like, if your interest is Robert, Mellis, he was not born in Eye as from the 1871C he was stating his pob as BURGATE, which is a mile or so down the road. 

Familysearch pilot notes a Robert NUNN bpt 9 Sept 1798 parish of Burgate son of Daniel & Martha NUNN.  Family search lists quite a few children for that couple.

K

ps.  Found him in 1861 - living in Dam Lane, Mellis name has been transcribed as something that looks like 'NUME' & my census provider has interpretted it as RUME - thats Suffolk for you - gives his pob as Burgate then as well.

Offline Peachface1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keziah2,

Thank you so much for all the information on Robert.  It was really helpful.  Unfortunately it leaves me a sticky question.  If Robert was born to Daniel Nunn and Martha Richardson in 1798 this works out well with the census records.  But if I go back further, another Robert was born to a James Nunn and Martha Hammond in 1788 in Burgate; this tallies up with Robert's age of 89 on his death in 1877.  I shall have to look a little more into son William's living with John Hammond and Sarah in 1841.  This may be a clue.

Anyway, thank you again for your time and so much information.

Peachface1947
 :-\

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 07:42 GMT (UK) »
A decided nusiance & would you beleive there is another Robert Nunn (1789) & Mary (1781)living in Earlsford Road, Mellis shown on the 1851C.  Both give their pob as Burgate.  They appear to have a daughter Mary born c1823.  Haven't found them in 1841 yet.

One way round it would be to do a new post on the Look Ups board and see if anyone who has access to the Mellis PR's can check who the witnesses to the 1822 marriage in Mellis were - there is always an outside chance that there could have been  a parent involved or a sibling & that might help you identify which Robert & Mary were married but I suspect Robert 1788/9 & Mary were married before 1813 as the 1822 marriage is the only one listed in those names between 1813 & 1837. FS listes a Robert & Mary bpt an Eliza in Burgate in Mar 1813.

Good luck in sorting this one out!

K

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
You are probably aware that these parishes are all next to each other, in a row going north the order is Thornham Parva, Mellis, Burgate then Wortham which borders Norfolk.

Today Burgate and Wortham share many things including their Parish Council.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Devilish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert NUNN
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Keziah2,

Thank you so much for all the information on Robert.  It was really helpful.  Unfortunately it leaves me a sticky question.  If Robert was born to Daniel Nunn and Martha Richardson in 1798 this works out well with the census records.  But if I go back further, another Robert was born to a James Nunn and Martha Hammond in 1788 in Burgate; this tallies up with Robert's age of 89 on his death in 1877.  I shall have to look a little more into son William's living with John Hammond and Sarah in 1841.  This may be a clue.

Anyway, thank you again for your time and so much information.

Peachface1947
 :-\

Hi All,
This is old but id like to follow it up.

My ancestors - thinly - are related and match to James Nunn And Martha Hammond. James Nunn (1752- 1825) and Martha (1755-1853).

Im trying to connect the link, as there is so many Nunn's in the area its hard to pin them down.

im trying to connect Eliza Nunn (b. 02/02/1847) to this and further.

I have MAYBE so FAR: Thomas Nunn (b.1803?) as a father.
John Nunn (1778-1860) married Elizabeth Stammers (1776-1824)
back to james.

James Nunn's father i have as Samuel Nunn, (1715-1781) and even further Thomas Nunn (1680 - 1762) and then Robert Nunn 1660 - ?

Can anyone confirm or help with these links - or link in with any other nunn family tree lookers out there in suffolk?

Offline Peachface1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Devilish,

I cannot confirm this as I don't have access to the census records, but try looking at Thomas Downing Nunn (1824-1890) who married an Eliza Garrad in 1846.  I think he was the son of Robert Nunn (1798-1871) and Mary Downing.  I think Robert was the son of Daniel Nunn (abt 1757-1831) and Martha Richardson.  Daniel I think was the son of John Nunn (1734-1801) and Alice Rampley although I have been unable to confirm this, but there is a large gap in the list of their children between 1759 and 1769. 

All above are from the Burgate/Mellis area although Thomas Downing Nunn is a farmer on Mellis Road at Thrandeston in 1881.

Maybe another Nunn hunter can help with the above.

Peachface

Offline leshay57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 December 13 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have  just come across the site and am related to the Nunn family. My gg grandfather Edmund Nunn was born in Mellis in 1835.  He married Jane Thompson after moving up to Durham.  I am sure he is related to an Edgar Nunn but have been unable to establish the link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Thenunns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
To Leshay57
Your GG Grandfather Edmund Nunn is the brother of my G Grandmother Emily Nunn (1851 census). Emily also married a Thompson (Isaac) after moving to County Durham. I wonder why they moved so far north. From the above census, Robert and Elizabeth (nee Musk) are Edmund and Emily's parents but I can't find, for definite, any family further back in time. I know that Robert and Elizabeth married in Mellis in October 1832 as shown on the Suffolk Marriage Index but their's no clues on the transcript about their parents to get me further back. Would the Suffolk Marriage Index show more details than  the transcript or does a transcript usually show everything that's on the register?
Any information from anyone else would also be much appreciated.