Author Topic: Francis  (Read 27185 times)

Offline pwlynch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
It's great to see so many people researching this family.My gggg grandparents are Alice Francis and Henry Smith,I'm descended from their daughter Harriet Smith who married William Moore.I've been enjoying finding out snippets of information about this family.

Offline Mary Anne Cottle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
It's great to see so many people researching this family.My gggg grandparents are Alice Francis and Henry Smith,I'm descended from their daughter Harriet Smith who married William Moore.I've been enjoying finding out snippets of information about this family.

I'm descended from Harriet's younger brother Isaac (born +/- 1852; Easington Lane, Durham); described variously as blacksmith/tinner, he married Sarah Ellen Herron in Shadforth, 1878). Would love to contact my distant cousins and share info!
Deering, Cottle (Ireland)
Smith, Johnson, Herron, Francis (Irish traveller/Romany; Ire/UK)

Offline pwlynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
It's good to hear from you Mary.I've looked at my notes and see that Isaac and Sarah had lots of children,which one are you descended from?Do you live in the north east?I live in Scotland but was born in Murton which is close to Easington Lane.

Offline Mary Anne Cottle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Isaac and Sarah Smith of Easington Lane
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 September 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
Yeeks, I'm still trying to work out how this site operates! Apologies if I'm posting anything in the wrong places!

Yep, Isaac Smith and Sarah nee Herron had a bunch of kids. I'm descended from Cecilia Winifred who died in 1972, when I was nearly ten years old; I have fond memories of her teaching me to knit "gypsy-style" with the left needle tucked under the left oxter. One day she gave me a plastic comb and told me Auntie Gwen was trying to poison her with Domestos, but I think we can disregard a certain amount of doitiness.

Cecilia Winifred Smith appears on the 1891 census as a young child (born circa 1883 in Shadforth) and on the 1901 census as a 17-yr-old servant to the Crofts of Durham. I remember the family row when she died in 1972, because one of her daughters produced a birth certificate showing her d.o.b. was 14 July 1882 and we all thought she was only 88! Schtumpf - well, we all tell a few fibs now and again, don't we?

There is somewhat of a gap between Cecilia Winifred's appearance as a servant in Durham in 1901 and her reappearance in 1907 in Leeds, when she married Joseph Johnson. If you accept family legend, Cecilia Winifred (my mother's mother's mother) was at this point engaged to Sam (my father's father's father). But then she dumped Sam and married Joseph instead because Joseph was a groom and coachman and had big piles of horses! Way to turn a girl's head!

I'm actually wondering if she acquired a criminal record - she wouldn't have been the first servant to do a runner! I must investigate this a bit more! I'd also be interested if anyone has information on where this name "Cecilia Winifred" suddenly comes from; it's not a family name but there was another little girl in the same village (Shadforth, Durham) called Cecilia Winifred Thubron (aka Thuborn, Thurbon, Thornber, etc) born the year before my Cecilia Winifred. Interesting, but I can't find a connection.     

As to Me, Myself, I - well, I was born and raised in Yorkshire, but I'm now actually living in County Meath, Ireland. No matter how much a gypsy is settled, there's always some kind of pull to be somewhere else!

Deering, Cottle (Ireland)
Smith, Johnson, Herron, Francis (Irish traveller/Romany; Ire/UK)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
from " Houses of Wexford" (by kind permission of David Rowe and Eithne Scallan)
===================
Francis family of Rathjarney is mentioned and by marriage to the Hantons of Ballywitch;

Names mentioned are;
Claude
Claude Dermot Le Bert
May
Jake
Katherine
Thomas
==================

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac and Sarah Smith of Easington Lane
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 October 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Yeeks, I'm still trying to work out how this site operates! Apologies if I'm posting anything in the wrong places!

Yep, Isaac Smith and Sarah nee Herron had a bunch of kids. I'm descended from Cecilia Winifred who died in 1972, when I was nearly ten years old; I have fond memories of her teaching me to knit "gypsy-style" with the left needle tucked under the left oxter. One day she gave me a plastic comb and told me Auntie Gwen was trying to poison her with Domestos, but I think we can disregard a certain amount of doitiness.

Cecilia Winifred Smith appears on the 1891 census as a young child (born circa 1883 in Shadforth) and on the 1901 census as a 17-yr-old servant to the Crofts of Durham. I remember the family row when she died in 1972, because one of her daughters produced a birth certificate showing her d.o.b. was 14 July 1882 and we all thought she was only 88! Schtumpf - well, we all tell a few fibs now and again, don't we?

There is somewhat of a gap between Cecilia Winifred's appearance as a servant in Durham in 1901 and her reappearance in 1907 in Leeds, when she married Joseph Johnson. If you accept family legend, Cecilia Winifred (my mother's mother's mother) was at this point engaged to Sam (my father's father's father). But then she dumped Sam and married Joseph instead because Joseph was a groom and coachman and had big piles of horses! Way to turn a girl's head!

I'm actually wondering if she acquired a criminal record - she wouldn't have been the first servant to do a runner! I must investigate this a bit more! I'd also be interested if anyone has information on where this name "Cecilia Winifred" suddenly comes from; it's not a family name but there was another little girl in the same village (Shadforth, Durham) called Cecilia Winifred Thubron (aka Thuborn, Thurbon, Thornber, etc) born the year before my Cecilia Winifred. Interesting, but I can't find a connection.     

As to Me, Myself, I - well, I was born and raised in Yorkshire, but I'm now actually living in County Meath, Ireland. No matter how much a gypsy is settled, there's always some kind of pull to be somewhere else!

Hi.   I`m a descendant of Isaac and Sarah.    I also researched Cecilia Winifred.   Now Isaac, was the father of my grandfather called Isaac, he died 24th Sept 1916 in Great War.  My father was called Isaac Smith (died1977..he was 3 months old when his father died).    In the 1911 census (Sarah had died ) leaving Isaac head of house,he was living with his sister Louise 26yrs,Alice Francis 24yrs,Harriet 18yrs,Edith 14yrs, and a neice called Edith Alice Wilkinson  aged 2yrs.  Living Leamside,West Rainton.    West Rainton  where I was brought up.   It`s a mystery to us why the Smith family seems to have been forgotten from 1916 - as my father, or his mother never talked about that side of the family, so it`s great to read there is someone from that side of the family on here.  Interesting with the Yorkshire connection,as Edith Smith may have married an Arthur Holt 1911 in North Brierley,Yorks.  and Edith Alice(the neice mentioned above) the only one I can find was born in N.Brierley, despite the census saying Durham/Leamside.    Love to talk more ....

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 October 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I`m from this line as well..on the Isaac Smith line.  Harriet on the 1861 census was 16yrs, she had 3 brothers Henry(14..a tinner) Thomas(12yrs..who later becomes the licensee of The Pot and Glass, Crossgate Moor,Durham and Three Tuns, Easington Lane) and Isaac 9yrs(my relative).   O the 1851 census there are more older children William(Billy) 17yrs(1857 worked at Murton Colliery, died 1884 in the Workhouse) Mary Ann 16yrs, Lucy or Laura (13yrs) Lizzy(Elizabeth 11yrs).      Henry Smith on the 1851 census states he was born in Michaels Town,Limerick, yet on the 1861 census he was born `on the sea`.    The only Henry Smith I can locate in Limerick, was born 3rd April 1807, his Mother Catherine Keith (father George and Mary Keith).   Henry Smith`s father was called Isaac -the assumption being the name is then passed down through the family.  Isaac Smith was born in Birr, Co.Offaly 3.11.1780.  His father was Andrew Smith b.1760 and Mother Hannah. I believe Hannah died young, and Andrew re-married Rebecca. 1821 census Spinners Lane Birr, Andrew is 61yrs,Rebecca 42yrs(died 1847) and there`s Bridget who is 17yrs.    Interesting....

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 October 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
"Michaels Town, Limerick"

I am wondering if this is actually Mitchelstown which is in Co Cork,  very close to the Co. Limerick border.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 October 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
"Michaels Town, Limerick"

I am wondering if this is actually Mitchelstown which is in Co Cork,  very close to the Co. Limerick border.
Interesting...will follow this up.  The census taker has written Michaels Town, two separate words, but in those days anything could be misconstrued...