Author Topic: Francis  (Read 27189 times)

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis
« Reply #36 on: Monday 16 October 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
Tithe Applotment Books of 1823-37.   Shows Thomas Francis holding 20 acres? in 1833.  and there is a William Francis holding 8 acres.  In Ballyadam, Wexford.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Found a coroners report dated 1867 -Henry committed suicide by Hanging - Elemore Wood, Easington -Alice his wife stated he had tried to commit suicide 25 yrs previously and she managed to stop him.  Henry and Alice are buried in St Laurence churchyard, Pittington.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Found a coroners report dated 1867 -Henry committed suicide by Hanging - Elemore Wood, Easington -Alice his wife stated he had tried to commit suicide 25 yrs previously and she managed to stop him.  Henry and Alice are buried in St Laurence churchyard, Pittington.
  Alice in 1871 census lives with son Isaac in Littletown, Durham.   Isaac is there with her when she dies aged 65yrs in Shadforth.   Isaac later dies in 1894 of Diabetis , resides in Pit Row, Sherburn (same street as brother Henry who did the register report) Sarah(Isaacs) wife is left with young children -she turns up in 1901 in West Rainton.

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 June 19 02:22 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Alice Francis and Henry Smith.
I have dna matches to descendants of Jane Francis 1807, henry Francis 1804, alice Francis 1811 and an Ann Francis 1806.
Does anyone else get a dna match to my mother , Marjorie. Gedmatch A296867 or ancestry
I would be particularly interested to see if those who know they are descendants of Rosanna Scott and went to america match as this might prove if this is 5he same Thomas.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 June 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Just an update. On Henry/Alice Smith.   Found this concerning their daughter.
Durham County Advertiser , Durham 21 Feb 1851
Inquest was held on the same day, before the same coroner, at Easington Lane, on view of the body of Joanna Smith aged 9 years, daughter of Henry Smith, who on the preceding afternoon got between 2 coal waggons which were standing on the coal trunk at Easington Lane, and the man in charge of them having caused one of them to move, the deceased was jammed between the sole ends and received such injuries as resulted in her death the same night.
Verdict accidentally.

Also I took a visit up to the area where Henry committed suicide by hanging.  Based on the coroners report, and help from locals ( one of whom worked the farm, and said every time he went passed a certain tree, he felt uneasy!!) - the last known place where Henry was seen by a young girl at 7am before he was found hanging from a tree - was a well.  This well still exists.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 02 June 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Why doesn't someone say what Religion they were ??

R.C. registers are online, free!  http://registers.nli.ie/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 02 June 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have plotted a massive number of descendants down the line from Henry Smith and Alice Francis.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 02 June 19 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi. Which line are you descendant from?   Which child of Alice/Henry?  Incidentally, I have Alice`s death cert. died of dementia, in the presence of Isaac Smith(son)(who was my great grandfather). Isaac died 1894 of diabetes.  His wife Sarah , had a child(1896) after he died, the death cert. does not name the father.  Her name was Sarah E Smith, who later married a Thomas Barnes from Sedgefield in 1907. Sarah E - died 1927, possible died in childbirth as a child was born 1927 - Elizabeth Barnes.
4 children from that marriage -John J Barnes died aged 2yrs b.1923,Wm G Barnes b.1925 married Margaret Unsworth -he died Norwich 1976. Edith M Barnes b. 1925. Married 1944 - Darby (Had one child b.1944 Barry James Darby) Elizabeth married Raymond Hackworth -no children.     

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 03 June 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
My line mary Ann Smith 1835 married Robert johnson
Dau Johanna mar Joseph Irven Taylor
One of Joseph’s sons is my great grandfather, unsure which
So are you a descendant of Isaac Smith and Sarah Herron?