Author Topic: "COMPLETED" Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.  (Read 4836 times)

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"COMPLETED" Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Please can any one find this man's baptism record?  His parents were John Hutson & Phoebe Coxford who married in Docking on 17 Jan 1778. (FreeReg)

He had 5 siblings - Priscilla bap. 20 Aug 1780, John bap. 10 Mar 1782, Ann bap. 19 Nov 1786, Mary bap. 5 Oct 1788, and Frances bap. 26 Jul 1795. (All in Docking)(FreeReg) His d.o.b. fits well between the last two.

The only sources I have for him are the Censuses from 1841 - 1871, his marriage in 1815, his gravestone in Sedgeford, and the E&W Free BMD Index. He died in 1878.  I would like to have confirmation of his birth family, as the 1841 is after he left home.

Hutson became Hudson later. Edmund can also be Edmond.
Thanks, Eleanor
London - Wilkinson, Jones, Sanders, Fowler.
Cornwall - Jenkin, Buckingham, Frayn.  Cambridgeshire - Johnson, Preston, Marshall. 
Somerset - Watts, Budgett, King.  Norfolk - Leggett, Binks, Spooner.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You can search the Norfolk parish registers 1538-1900 on the IGI Beta site

https://beta.familysearch.org/

Under "Browse by Location" select Europe then United Kingdom from the Left hand menu

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You can search the Norfolk parish registers 1538-1900 on the IGI Beta site

https://beta.familysearch.org/

Under "Browse by Location" select Europe then United Kingdom from the Left hand menu

Unfortunately, the baptism register for Docking for the relevant period is not available at the above link.

However, the Archdeacon's Transcripts for the relevant period are available at the following link although I can't see a baptism for Edmund:

https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/show#uri=http%3A//pilot.familysearch.org/records/waypoint/6894284&hash=Mrd8SMocDIIen2Q83tu%252B82PRagg%253D

You should bear in mind that in 1783 the British government passed a stamp duty act to help pay for the American War of Independence. Tax of 3d was to be paid on every entry made in a parish register. The incumbent was empowered to collect this tax and entitled to keep a small proportion for his trouble. Paupers were exempt from paying the tax. The tax was deeply unpopular and many children in the late 1780s and early 1790s of families who were not wealthy or paupers were not baptised as a result of this legislation. The legislation was not repealed until 1794. As a result it is possible that Edmund was not baptised and this legislation may explain your gap in baptisms between 1788 and 1795 (ie Edmund may have had more than 5 siblings). My own family tree has numerous gaps in baptisms for this period as a result of this legislation.

Nigel

Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou, CaroleW & NigelP. I had not explored the new Familysearch Beta site - and am spending many happy hours looking for my Norfolk ancestors. You are right, Edmund does not seem to appear in any of the Sedgeford records, but the tax factor probably explains this.
I hope the Familysearch Beta site will soon include other English counties as well as Norfolk, Cheshire Yorkshire & Durham - it is marvellous to be able to see the actual entries. For my research almost everything has to be done on the internet, CDs etc as I live in Scotland.
The RootsChat site has been great for lookups and advice.
Thanks again, Eleanor
Cornwall - Jenkin, Buckingham, Frayn.  Cambridgeshire - Johnson, Preston, Marshall. 

Offline Hornchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Please can any one find this man's baptism record?  His parents were John Hutson & Phoebe Coxford who married in Docking on 17 Jan 1778. (FreeReg)

He had 5 siblings - Priscilla bap. 20 Aug 1780, John bap. 10 Mar 1782, Ann bap. 19 Nov 1786, Mary bap. 5 Oct 1788, and Frances bap. 26 Jul 1795. (All in Docking)(FreeReg) His d.o.b. fits well between the last two.

The only sources I have for him are the Censuses from 1841 - 1871, his marriage in 1815, his gravestone in Sedgeford, and the E&W Free BMD Index. He died in 1878.  I would like to have confirmation of his birth family, as the 1841 is after he left home.

Hutson became Hudson later. Edmund can also be Edmond.
Thanks, Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

I read your link to this excellent site & joined-up, using my "usual" call-sign, as I'm known as 'Hornchurch' (~ Essex ~)  on other discussion forums which don't involve geneaology !

Whilst I don't have Edmund's 'official' baptism record to hand, I "do" know the date as it's written down somewhere in a ream of documents that span over five folders.....it's finding it !  LOL

I did recieve your last E-mail, in which you said....
" I was a bit concerned that we have no record of Edmond's baptism as there is no certainty that he is part of John & Phoebe's family "

Well, I can confirm that he most certainly is......

I've yet to send you a photograph of the actual handwritten entry of the "Wedding Banns" on page.9 ~ taken from St.Mary's Church Docking on 27th June 1815 ~ the day that Edmund Hudson married Charlotte Sparham, the Postmaster's daughter from Bircham.

Worth noting that Priscilla ~ (Edmund's older Sister) attended the wedding ceremony itself & left her mark..... "in the prescence of".......underneath the section on Page.9 which says "This Marriage was solemnized between us"

Your baptism dates for the other children tally-up with mine & whilst I've been typing this, I've found a document which mentions 'other' of John & Phoebe's children (not in your post)

Ken** has it down as EIGHT siblings, not five !

Priscilla ~ John ~ Ann ~ Mary ~ James ~ Elizabeth ~ Edmund (my 5 x Gt.Grandfather) & youngest daughter Francis (bapt' date unknown).

Suprise suprise, whilst typing this I've found Ken's** entry for Edmund Hudson's baptism date !

It's given as 18th November 1792

I have seen the actual transcripted archive records at Norwich ~(on microfische/microfilm) for both Edmund & Priscilla's baptism dates (in the original 1780's & 1790's handwriting), as I wanted to confirm & corrobarate this research independantly myself.

IIRC the November 1792 date is bang on, although at present, I cannot find my "hurriedly scribed notes" that I scrawled out whilst sitting inside the Norwich Records Office itself, with the microfische-cards & microfilm (sans monitor) showing the 1790's handwriting ~ glowing-away in front of me !!!!!!!!

Our local head (Chief) Librarian (Helena) actually handled the crumbling handwritten entries for this part of Docking & Sedgeford & also transcribed them...
(the older date entries, she told me, were from Latin !)

This was done at Docking ~ prior to the transition to the N.R.O.

They were of course entered, logged & recorded in a modern document that was (circa 2004/2005) available (at cost) from the Dersingham Library...
although whether Helena is still there & if these written transcripts are still available for purchase or not, I don't know.

What I DO know, is that her dates are/were 100% accurate for my family, as I cross-referenced them with the documents I already have.... & that they actually matched the 1790's handwritten microfische/microfilm "official" dates held by the Norwich Birth/Deaths/Records office at the 'Forum' building (2nd floor) in Norwich itself.

Phew,

Here's hoping my next posts will be considerably shorter !  8)

Edmund's  5 x Gt.Grandson........Kevin H.

(otherwise known as 'Hornchurch')

p.s, **Ken is my Dad's elder (sadly now deceased) Brother.
Am interested in N.W.Norfolk Hudsons in the Docking, Sedgeford, Heacham & Hunstanton regions,

Offline Hornchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »

Moderators......can you PLEASE delete 'this' Post # 5

ACCIDENTAL DUPLICATE POST;
Am interested in N.W.Norfolk Hudsons in the Docking, Sedgeford, Heacham & Hunstanton regions,

Offline eleanorw28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"COMPLETED" Re: Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 February 11 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all - I now have more on Edmond. :) :) :)

Offline loopyc170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "COMPLETED" Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 August 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking at my family history relating to Hudson, Binks, Sparham, Softley and Bone in the Sedgeford area of Norfolk and came across chat relating to edmund Hudson and Charlotte Sparham, who are my great,great, great grandparents.  The chats were between Eleanor and Hornchurch. I am wondering if they have any history regarding my ancestors from that era and earlier.? I have only their names but nothing from earlier
 Maria (daughter of edmund and charlotte ) is my connection.  Maria married Thomas Binks from Sedgeford and their daughter Lily Louisa was my great grandmother and she married William Bone whose mother was Sarah Billing. so if anyone has any info from the Billing. Binks,Bone side that would be interesting too. 
 Look forward to hearing from distant relations

Offline Hornchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "COMPLETED" Edmund Hutson b. abt 1792 Docking Norfolk.
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking at my family history relating to Hudson, Binks, Sparham
, Softley and Bone in the Sedgeford area of Norfolk

....and came across chat relating to Edmund Hudson and Charlotte Sparham, who are my great,great, great grandparents.  The chats were between Eleanor and Hornchurch.

I am wondering if they have any history regarding my ancestors from that era and earlier.?
I have only their names but nothing from earlier

Maria (daughter of Edmund and Charlotte ) is my connection. 

Maria married Thomas Binks from Sedgeford and their daughter Lily Louisa was my great grandmother and she married William Bone whose mother was Sarah Billing.
 Look forward to hearing from distant relations

'

Hi Loopy,  it seems you're "in luck", as I've just stumbled back in, after a mere 8 year absence (laughs).

Clearly we ARE related, as Edmund & Charlotte are my 4 x Gt.Grandparents.

I know about Maria, in fact... (don't pass-out with excitement on this one), but I have a picture of her (Yup !).

In fact, the picture is of Maria, her husband Mr.Binks & approx' 9 of their 13 kids.

Yeah, mad by modern standards isn't it ? 

Thirteen kids no-less, BUT, I know for sure that two of them died fairly early - (IIRC x 9 in the photo')

The picture is "torn, ripped & somewhat defaced" (my words), but that's just how I received it.

Also, I don't have immediate access to it just now, simply as it's on a USB stick & I have a gazillion of those !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please DO bear in mind I'm about to type this entirely from memory, tho' my memory "is" good.

Maria was one of FOUR kids & was born in 1824 - (whilst Edmund Jnr was born in 1819)

Richard was born around 1826-1827, I'll check his headstone another time for you.

Sadly, he died around the age of 22, from 'consumption of the lungs' (most likely, Tuberculosis, tho' not confirmed)

His (lone) Gravestone, lies at a 45-degree angle to Edmund & Charlotte's, within Sedgeford Church

Sadly, Edmund & Charlotte's headstone is now pretty-much indecipherable, but I know EXACTLY where it is.

Ken, Ivan & myself photographed it back in March 2005 when it was still just/barely legible, but clear enough.

EdmundHSnrGrave300dpi by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

Please note ; ALL documents refer & say EDMUND ; Yet the headstone scribe used an 'O' instead.

Phoebe Coxford is MY (& your), Gt Grandmother & is the actual Mother of Edmund Snr (b.1792)

Phoebe Coxford is my 5 x Gt.Grandmother, so, I believe you are (may), be one generation above me.

When you made your previous post, I was in hospital (& NHS care thereafter), after an M/cycle accident, so I woulda missed your post anyhow.

Our family line runs from Phoebe Coxford, born in 1753, in Docking, Norfolk = A neighbouring village to Sedgeford.

I had FIVE packed full folders of my immediate bloodline genealogy handed to me by Ken (now sadly deceased), who simply HAS to take the lion's share of credit for the research, although I myself HAVE personally corrected quite a few number of errors by accurate (& time consuming), sleuthing & research of my own, as I'm a stickler for accuracy & a jaded cynic by nature (laughs profusely again).

That ALL stems from my passionate love of military research & study of half-century plus.

I've both seen the original (crumbling) birth entry book for Docking (1790's), plus have spent HOURS at the P.R.O in Norwich (at "The Forum"), studying ALL the relevant "microfische" & original written transcripts that relate to both Phoebe's, Pricilla (important), plus the other kids births & christenings/dedications that took place from 1753-1819.

Our line** goes London/Essex > Hunstanton > Heacham > Sedgeford > Docking > Burnhams

( ** from "New to Old", chronological wise ).

Hope that helps ?

Chime up "if" ya maybe wanna know any more ?

"Hornchurch" - (April 2019)