Author Topic: DYER Family  (Read 32073 times)

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DYER Family
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a longstanding problem researching this line of my family as my ggg grandfather, Mark John Dyer, was (according to the 1851 census) born in Tortola, BVI, West Indies c 1800.   At that time there were no established churches on the island.   I've done some searching through the colonial records at the National Archives and have found a couple of clues but nothing to positively link them to my ancestor.

In the second half of the 18th century, a Mark Dyer was resident on the island for a while and he also had links to Alphington, Devon.   He died in London in 1832 and seems to have had only one child, Henry Moreton Dyer, who also died in London in 1841.   This earlier Mark Dyer was apparently a senior civil servant whereas my family were carpenters (coachmakers) which bothers me.   However, it is possible that his son, Henry, fell out with his father - he isn't mentioned in his will.

I wonder whether there is anyone out there who might know anything of these Devonshire Dyers?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dyer Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
The Morning Chronicle, Saturday March 13, 1802
MARRIED

Thursday, at Kensington Church, Mark Dyer, Esq, late of the island of Tortola, to Mrs Hamer, widow of the late Joseph Hamer, Esq, of Demarary

Jackson's Oxford Journal, Saturday April 4, 1812
DIED
In Manchester Street, Mrs Mary Dyer, wife of Mark Dyer, Esq, of Alphington, Devonshire

Question - did Mark Dyer, Tortola, marry a Mrs MARY Hamer?

Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth and Cornish Advertiser, Thursday March 17, 1814
Alphington near Exeter

To be sold at auction, ..... the premises Ivy Cottage, situate jn the Parish of Alphington, .... (the residence of Mark Dyer, Esq, who is about leaving the country).... Advertisement Mar 9th, 1814

Then found mention of a Mark Dyer, Dawlish several times until Mark Dyer, Esq, Alphington reappears contributing 3 guineas to the Ireland Distress Fund

regards

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth & Cornish Advertiser, Thursday October 25, 1832
DIED

Oct 15th, in the 83rd year of his age, Mark Dyer, Esq late of Alphington, and formerly of the island of Tortola

regards

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Henry Moreton Dyer you refer to "died 1841", possible son of Mark Dyer?

Bristol Mercury, Saturday May 29th, 1841
DIED - In London, age 66, Henry Moreton Dyer, Esq

The Derby Mercury, Wednesday May 26th, 1841
Death of a Mr Henry Moreton Dyer- Police Magistrate
This much esteemed gentleman, who for many years has been the chief magistrate at Marlborough Street Police Office, breathed his last about 5 o'clock on Monday Morning, at his residence Devonshire House, Wimpole Street.

regards

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DYER Family
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for these gems of information.   Yes, the other Mark Dyer did marry Mary Hamer (his second wife, I believe) and presumably Henry was a son by his previous marriage.   I wonder whether Mark was returning to the West Indies when he sold his cottage - but on the other hand the expression 'leaving the country' can also mean moving residence to a city.

Kind regards

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
good morning i' m french you can translate this message with google because my english is not very good

je fais des recherches généalogiques sur ma famille une branche m' a amené à henri charles moreton dyer né en 1805 et        mort en 1841 son père est mark dyer et sa mère anne moreton je recherche des informations sur ce mark dyer si quelqu' un peut m' aider moi je peux vous dire que h.c moreton a eu une fille emma qui s' est mariée en france avec aimé duniagou et je suis une de ses descendantes si vous voulez me demander un renseignement ça serait avec plaisir merci 

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
excusez moi de l' erreur henri charles moreton dyer était le fils de henri moreton willis  dyer mort en 1841 qui était le fils de mark je débute

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
I have some knowledge of this family and will contact you again next week as I shall be on vacation for the next few days.

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
thank you