Author Topic: DYER Family  (Read 32246 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: DYER Family
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Here we are, the initial reference -- my translation of phicar's post:

I have found some information at "digital library of caribbean    caribbeana volume 6 pages 78 et 79" about my Mark Dyer but your hypothesis about the brother of Henry Willis Moreton is interesting, particularly since Mark Dyer had a first wife named Mary Morte in 1811 before Henry Moreton's mother. But that is all I have at the moment.

(JC adds: that's a little confusing, since Mark Dyer was born 1750 and died 1832, and son Henry Moreton Willis Dyer was born in 1775 and died in 1841 -- Mark Dyer's first marriage would not have been in 1811 -- ?)

Mary, née ?, first married name Hamer, second married name Dyer, died in 1811.

Aaargh --

... mark dyer a eu une première femme appelé mary morte en 1811 ...

-- it was phicar's lack of capitalization and punctuation that let me astray.

It doesn't say "first wife Mary Morte in 1811".

It says "first wife Mary, deceased in 1811".

My apologies!!! I had read a string of names consisting of given name + surname and taken "femme appelé mary morte" to mean she was "Mary Morte", when it meant "Mary, deceased".

Thus endeth this quagmire. No Mary Morte, just a reminder of the importance of proper translations ... and of punctuation.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi rpegmat -

My line of research is with the male branch of the Dyers in the West Indies so Mary Dyer only popped up in relation to that.   The second son I think is called Henry Percy Hamer.   Have you tried Percy as a maiden surname for Mary Hamer?

Janey, I should also have realised that Morte should read deceased!   My French stretches that far.

Merry Christmas
Lesley

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i am very sorry for my ponctuation ,you have right "morte " is "died"in french .But i have write in my note Mary Budgen  but i am not remember where i find it.Try this name .

merry chrismas to everyone  :)

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
CHRISTMAS SORRY ,keying error !!!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
And I truly hang my head in shame. More than anything, I think it was all the "Moretons" that threw me off the straight and narrow there.

Budgen seems to be very much a Kent and Sussex name in the early-mid 1700s (searching at familysearch).

There is one instance at FS of given name Budgen surname Hamer: Harriett Budgen Hamer married in Tonbridge in 1836. Her husband's name was a little exotic: Andre Racine Brand. Yes; they had children in France  .. and how interesting -- one of them was named Henry Percy Brand:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQN5-GB3
(with her name given as Harriet Budgen, but it's impossible to tell whether that means Budgen was her birth surname or a second given name).

The births in France are recorded in the England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes. At FS, just search for given name Andre Racine and surname Bra* and it will find them all (there are a couple of instances with his surname transcribed as Braud and Bradna).

The surname Hamer seems to be concentrated in Lancashire. Lots of Harriet Budgens were born in Kent; Hamer could have been a first married name in her case ... but the Henry Percy is more than a little interesting.

Was Harriet a daughter of Joseph Hamer and Mary? I actually think it is more likely that a daughter would carry her mother's birth surname while sons had surnames from the father's lines. But Harriett had children as late as 1846. She might be a child of Henry Percy Hamer?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello
i find where i saw Budgen
 http://mathewfamilytree.com/custom.html

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
And there we have what I "discovered" ;)

Henry Percy Hamer c1787 d before 1836 Captain of Demerara
Children
Henry Percy Hamer
Harriet Budgen eldest daughter.
Harriet Budgen Hamer married 1836 Andre Racine Braud of Paris (French Protestant Pastour) residing Fontainebleau

What the site doesn't give is a source for Budgen as Mary's name.

If that was the source of the name, Henry Percy Hamer, son of Joseph and Mary, gave his daughter Harriett his mother's surname as her middle name.

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 20 December 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
hi rpegmat -

Lousy weather this pm so done some idle googling.   I guess you will have looked into this but here goes anyway.

There is a website dedicated to Henry Cort covering something of certain Attwick & Burges families.   John Attwick lived during the 18th century in Gosport (which is relevant to you) and by his second wife, Mary Beverley, he had a daughter called Mary.   Her life isn't followed through on the site but this, of course, doesn't necessarily mean she didn't survive childhood and marry.   Perhaps she disappeared.   Perhaps she wasn't of especial interest to the family historian.

There appears to be a link to the site administrator if you haven't already covered this ground.

I suspect you might live in Australia - if so it's a shame you aren't able to pass on some of your sunshine.

Merry Christmas
Lesley

Offline mjg162

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 31 March 13 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Bonjour everyone
I am on holidays in Montserrat and spent the afternoon in a boat with the 3x great grandson (if my calculations are correct) of Henry Dyer (1742-1788). He showed me a family tree from Henry up to the present. Dyer is not on his direct male line so Y-DNA testing would not be applicable but autosomal DNA testing might indicate a match (4th cousin or thereabouts ... 50% chance of detection). He may also know of a direct male line Dyer that might agree to testing. Either test could help confirm a connection between your branch and his and would support the current hypothesis suggested by the documentary research.
If this is of any interest to anyone please email me directly as I return to London on Wednesday and would need to contact him beforehand!!
Hope this finds you all well.
Regards
Maurice
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.