Author Topic: Burrowbridge Somerset  (Read 6300 times)

Offline bellydancer59

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burrowbridge Somerset
« on: Thursday 10 February 11 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to locate my Gr Gr Grandfather's baptism, so that I might at least find his mother as he was stated as illegitimate on his marriage certificate which took place in St Michaels church Burrowbridge Bridgwater.  George Bathe Kiddell was born abt 1826 but thats all I know except it was in Somerset, and as he had married in his home location (Gr Gr Grandmother Mary Hart Baker was born and lived in Exeter Devon), I am presuming he possibly may have been born in Bridgwater.

I cannot locate him either on census records, or after his marriage either - all 6 except for the 7th were born in Somerset..the family emigrating to Australia in 1869/70.

Another puzzle is that one of their sons born 1858 was apparently born at sea off Melb Victoria Australia yet his birth is registered in Bridgwater.  I obtained this information off his marriage certificate.  Also cannot find Mary Hart Kiddell (nee Baker) death in Australia, NZ, Tas, or UK.  She had apparently died prior to George, who died in 1911 in Victoria.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Burrowbridge Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi'

A Big Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

I see George is abroad in 1861

RG9/1615 Folio 91 Page 12
Stowmoor Rd
Stoke St Gregory

KIDDELL Mary Hart Head  27 Mar b Exeter Devon Farmer's wife out of business husband abroad
KIDDELL Mary H Dau 8 b Lyng Somerset Scholar
KIDDELL Georgina Dau 7 b Lyng Scholar
KIDDELL John Son 6 b Lyng Scholar
KIDDELL William Baker Son 4 Lyng b Scholar
KIDDELL George Son 3 b Lyng Scholar
KIDDELL Jane Dau 1 b Lyng

Mary is unmarried aged 17 living in Lyng with her family in 1851 so was Mary's home at time of marriage and had been for many years, (same place in 1841) but not necessarily Georges.

HO107/1924 Folio 386 Page 19
King Alfred Inn
Lyng
Somerset

BAKER William Head 59 Mar b Tiverton Devon Licenced Victualler
BAKER Mary Wife Wife 46 Mar b Bradninch Devon
BAKER Mary Hart Dau 17 b Exeter
BAKER Sarah Webber Dau 14 b Lyng Scholar
HART Mary Mother in Law 68 Mar b Bradrinch

Is there any other reason to make you feel George was from Somerset. There are several George KIDDELL and variants born in Somerset.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

If George is the child you mentioned born in 1858 he was baptised in Somerset

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

also note an interesting baptism on the pilot site

George Ba--He KIDDLE 19 Apr 1831 Somerset mother Harriet KIDDLE

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 03:14 GMT (UK) »
There is a George KIDDLE listed as 8 in 1841 and 19 in 1851 living with his Aunt and Uncle John and Elizabeth KIDDLE (farmers) in Weston Zoyland. Also note the marriage of a Harriet KIDDLE = Rob ROWSELL of Stoke St Gregory by Licence 27 Jun 1833 in Weston Zoyland. They are living in Stoke St Gregory which is where I find Mary Hart KIDDELL and her children in 1861 so may be interesting - Robert ROWSELL was a farmer. Still the baptism is a few years later than you are suggesting.  :-\

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Harriet KIDDLE was baptised 14 Jun 1813 Othery parents John a butcher and Betsy of Othery

and look at this transcription

George BATHE Illegitimate Son of Harriett KIDDLE of Burrow Bridge Spinster was baptised Apr 19 1831 Othery

so looks like his father was a BATHE. Richard and Elizabeth BATHE were having children baptised in Othery. Richard BATHE was a farmer. ;D  ;D  ;D

George lists as nephew to John and Elizabeth KIDDLE in 1851 but I suspect this may be his grandparents who seem to have brought him up.

Offline bellydancer59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris, What can I say except WOW...how did you manage to find so much information in such a short time when I have been searching for a very long time -= still doesnt answer why George Kiddell jnr was down as born at sea on his marriage cert,  I am pretty certain its one and the same as in bapt for Burrowbridge..very puzzling..I could understand it if his parents were different but def same and I didnt think George Bathe Kiddell's  name would be too common.

Weird part is, George jnr married another of my family..on my Mums side again..we have 3 family connections from intermarriage.

Thanks so much for providing the information..I am really impressed and grateful..now all I need is to find Mary Hart's death and I will be happy!!

Many many thanks
Jan

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 23:56 GMT (UK) »
there is nothing other than the similarity of the first 2 names to indicate that this lady is who you are looking for but
http://www.deceasedsearch.com/index.php
has the following entry:

ST KILDA GENERAL CEMETERY
GATES Mary Hart
COMPARTMENT A
Grave 90
Buried 19/11/1936

Leanne

Offline bellydancer59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leanne,
Thanks for the information but when I checked age the deceased was 24.  My Mary Hart Kiddell was born 1834 in Exeter Somerset England, its certainly a puzzle why I cant locate her death, unless she remarried.  Even then, her maiden name (Baker) should have been on the death information.  Funnily enough her son William Baker Kiddell and his wife are both interned at Springvale Cemetery!

Offline Freckles123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Kiddell who immigrated to Victoria Australia? This George Kiddell lived with his daughter Georgina Kiddell and they had children together. There is an article in the Mornington Standard (Vic. : 1889 - 1908), Thursday 11 June 1896. This Kiddell is my g, g grandfather - the black sheep!

This Kiddell was married to Mary Harriet Baker and was named George Batholomew Kiddell. Not all that dissimilar considering spellings etc were often mixed up. I am looking for Mary's death certificate/date.

George Kiddell went by the name Thomas James when he was with Georgina Kiddell (his daughter).

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bellydance

I'm sorry that I can't help with family connections.

But I can say, Othery, Burrowbridge and Bridgwater are a stone threw away from each other...

And if you have any particular area that you'd like to have a photograph, I be more than happy to go and take some for you.  I actually live on the outskirts of Bridgwater..

I'm happy when I'm next at the record office to get copies of the parish records, just give me a shout to let me know what you need.