Author Topic: William Millard - Dudley, Worcestershire  (Read 10159 times)

Offline jim1212

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Millard - Dudley, Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 February 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, that's one site I was never aware of - great tip!

Offline shnook506

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 April 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Merrin and others,
 I realise your post is over a year old, but I am tracing my husbands ancestor Emanuel Millard (Milward, Miller, Millerd, Milwood etc) he is the brother of your William Millard so I am delighted to have found your post. Emanuel Millard was born in Dudley Worcestershire about 1814 (christened at Pelsall in 1815) he has stated that his parents are Samuel Millard (nail maker) and Elizabeth Nicholls on his marriage certificate. Emanuel came to Australia as a convict in 1836 aboard the "Recovery"  as Emanuel Millward, (nailor). He was living in Newtown, Sydney when he died in 1902.   On the convict indent for Emanuel it states that his brother James Millward came to Australia 4 years earlier ( so about 1832, also as a convict presumably) It has been suggested by other researchers that this may be Jesse Millard who arrived in 1832 and was sent to Port Macquarie & the baptism records certainly indicate that Emanuel did have a brother named Jesse, but I have not proved this theory one way or another as yet. It is also believed that there was another brother here as well named Samuel, also a convict, but again I have not followed this lead up as yet.

At this point it seems that the children of Samuel & Elizabeth were Sarah Millard (baptised at Walsall 1808) Jesse Milward (baptised at Pelsall 1810) Samuel Milward (baptised Pelsall 1813) Emanuel (Immanuel) Milward (baptised Pelsall 1815)  and now William (no baptism record found).

Does anybody have details on any of the siblings of William and Emanuel? (preferably off their marriage or death certificates)

regards

Brooke

Offline samsservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
To Merrin and Jessie's Mum,

I have written in here previously but the post doesn't seem to have come up.
I am descended from William Millard, born c1815; his brothers Jesse, Emanuel and Thomas were also definitely in Australia with their families.
William and Emanuel were convicts, and I suspect that Jesse and Thomas were also, although to date cannot prove this definitely.
Have done quite a bit of research on the various lines, so would welcome any contacts.

bachlorb

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hello bachlorb and Brooke
Wow - thank you both for contacting me, this is fantastic news to learn - am happy to bring you up to date with what I know from our line - Bachlorb do you have much information re his marriage to MaryAnn Jessop?  Thank you again for contacting me - look forward to bringing this all into current times.
JM

Offline samsservant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jessie's Mum,

I do have quite a bit of info re William's marriage to Mary Ann Jackson nee Jessop, which occurred only a few weeks after the sudden and suspicious death of William's first wife.
Mary Ann's first husband Thomas Jackson was re-sentenced to life in 1838, and there is no evidence that he ever left Tasmania. When Mary Ann married William Millard, she stated that Thomas had been dead since 1850.

According to Portland historical records, Mary Ann took up with a whaler by the name of John Robson, with whom she had four children, between 1840 and 1846. Two of these children died in infancy; the two girls survived. All these children were registered in Victoria as having John Robson for their father, and "Ann Mary" - no surname mentioned - for their mother.
In 1846, the local Portland newspaper reports that a well-known whaler (not named) had been found with his throat cut; the person who allegedly found him was William Millard.  Coincidence? Anyway, there were no more Robson children.
In 1854, Mary Ann registered twins Sarah and William "Jackson", herself the mother, no father named.  This William died the next year.
In 1855, it is believed she had a son, Emanuel, whom she did not register.  In 1856, there was another William, also named Jackson, this time Mary Ann said the father was Thomas Jackson.
In 1859, there was a daughter Sophia; Mary Ann gave the father as John "Robinson".  Sophia died the next year.
In 1863, a son David "Robinson" was born, his father listed as Thomas Robinson!  Lastly, Sophia Maria was born in 1865, and she was called Sophia Maria Millard, William listed as the father.

From Sarah to Sophia, i.e. 1850 to 1865, William was still married to his first wife.  However I believe that all these children were Millards, especially since all the names given to them were Millard family names - note there was no Thomas or John.  So it seems the fact that they belonged to a married man was covered up on most of the birth information.
When Mary Ann and William married, she stated that she was a widow with four children - in fact there were five Millards living - but the Robson children were not mentioned, even though one of them was a witness at the wedding!
So you see, many documents were not quite correct, as people strove to hide any "scandal".

William, his first wife Eliza, Thomas Jackson, and Mary Ann's father James Jessop were all convicts, transported to Port Jackson and Van Diemen's Land for what we would now consider fairly minor crimes.
William also had at least two other brothers transported as convicts, and one other brother who appears to have arrived as a free settler.
If you would like more info, I would be happy to contact you by private email, or if you don't wish to put yourprivate email here, maybe we could swap postal addresses or something?

Regards,

bachelorb

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your response - I have sent through a pm to you with email address.  What a colourful lass Mary Ann Jessop was  ;D

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 October 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am a relation of a WIlliam Millard in Melbourne Australia.

His family believe they are connected to the William Millard in this thread and I am trying to make contact on their behalf. The names in this thread, especially Jesse and Emanuel Millard, as well as William, ring bells for us. Our Bill Millard is the son of Julia Banks Millard from the Tyrendarra area in Victoria, Australia. Their search is fairly new and all help is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me directly on:

rodneyellis@hotmail.com and I will pass on details to Bill Millard's descendants.

Rodney53

Many thanks

Offline Kim Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 October 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bachlorb,

I am a descendant of William Jackson Millard and am blown away by what you have found.  Having always thought Thomas was my GGG GF,  I found a death certificate for a Thomas Jackson stating that he died at his own hand, using a razor blade to slash his own throat.  The Tasmanian Library records online have been my only source of information so far. Do you think this could be the one and same?

Regards,

Kim