Author Topic: Thomas Hislop  (Read 2192 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Thomas Hislop
« on: Friday 11 February 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »

I have two fellows by the name  Thomas Hislop that I would like to know more about.

1   Thomas Hislop born 1886 in Glasgow to Thomas Hislop + Mary Ann Glass.He was in Canada when WW1 was declared and served in the 44th Battalion Canadian Overseas Force in France. He survived and my last trace of him is in London in 1922. He was one of my Dad`s brothers.

2   Thomas Hislop born 1893 in Fulham to Thomas Hislop +  Emily Allen ( living at 101 Victory Road during WW1 ) . He served in the Machine Gun Corps in France - survived and returned to England in 1921.

Would love to hear from anyone who may be able to help me find what happened to these men.
                                                                  Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hislop
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
hi
looking at emigration record we have 2 thomas hislop,s leaving glasgow one on 2 june 1906 for quebec age 19 and single ship name mongolian
tother 15 april 1910  quebec age 24 occ stationer  ship name sicilian
so could be either ! as to returning to britain do you have any sort of idea when he returned to eng and wether he was alone or with a wife and family only there are one or two pos but can,t pin him down without more info same with your last trace of him what do you have on that re area he was living wether married or single any thing would help .
and just to clarify the t h born fulham was he in the army till 1921 ? or had he had a short spell of emigration as well  any extra detail on both of them would make things a bit easier to get precise info for you
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hislop
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »

Hi t mo ,
              Thank you for what you have found so far. Thomas H who went to Canada was born on 20 April 1886 so would have had his 20 th birthday by the time the " Mongolian " sailed.??? I found him in the 1920 Canadian Census - single.  I know he was in London in 1922 because of a note from the Australian War Memorial re the medals belonging to his brother John who died at Gallipoli. No knowledge of a wife.

Thomas H  born in Fulham  - " E.F. 9 returned to England  18-1-1921    Address 101 Victory Road, Wimbledon " He was commissioned as a Lieutenant on 28 Dec 1916 - this info on his medal card. That was his parents` home address so he probably wasn`t married. No further knowledge of him.

As I am researching these fellows from Australia, it can be difficult to find folk but will keep searching - somebody knows.
                                    Thanks again, Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig