Author Topic: Scullion family- How do I find them in Derry?  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scullion family- How do I find them in Derry?
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.
I have begun researching my Scullion roots, but seem to have come unstuck! ???
I have traced my fathers paternal line back to John Scullion who appeared in County Durham in the 1851 census. He was boarding with the family of Henry Mullin (Mullen?), migrants from Derry, Ireland. Later in 1851 John married Catherine Haney, and gave his fathers name as Hugh Scullion, birthplace Ireland, on his marriage certificate. There is nothing to indicate where John had lived in Ireland, so I am looking in Derry assuming he was boarding with a family he knew.
From the age given on the census, he would have been born about 1825 - 1827.
The nearest Hugh Scullion record I have found so far is a Hugh Scullion, born 1794, died 1876 at Magherafelt I have no idea where to go from here. Is anyone out there able to advise me the best way to proceed from here? As I live in Australia, I hope someone with local knowledge will shed light on the Scullion clan. I believe there were many living in this area? Hoping to hear from you soon.
Many thanks, Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scullion family- How do I find them in Derry?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen

I have just looked at the 1851 census and notice that John is the same age as Henry's son and from the information given the family appear to have moved to England about 5 years previously.  So, it is possible they were known to each other in Ireland.  Have you tried searching for Henry Mullen in Ireland?  There could be a family connection.  Also, I presume you will have looked at Griffiths Valuation to get a guide as to location, or even the Will Calendars at www.proni.gov.uk may throw up some family names/locations.

I have a Scullen ancestor and have found the name as baptismal sponsors and marriage witnesses spelt as Scullen, Scullin and Scullion, all presumably the same family.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are many surviving parish records from the 1820's.

Charlotte

GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charlotte,
I have lost the reply I had prepared, so here is a shorter version. I have had a look for the Mullen family. Perhaps I have found son Arty (Arthur?) in later years, but not the parents, and think they may have returned to Ireland. I wonder if it is a coincidence, but the lodger from Ireland who lived next door to John Scullin in the 1851 census was John Britten from Down? John Scullion's only surviving son was named John Brittain Scullion. Perhaps they were friends?
I will keep looking, and thank you for your suggestions,
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

The following Hugh Scullion’s have been located in the Tithe Applotment Books.

Tithe Applotment Books 1823 - 1838

County Londonderry/Derry

1828, Hu. Scullion, Townland of Ballyscullion, Parish of Ballyscullion.
1828, Hugh Scullion, Townland of Ballynease, Parish of Ballyscullion.
1828, Hugh Scullion, Townland of Tamlaghtduff, Parish of Ballyscullion.
1828, Hugh Scullion, Townland of Currin, Parish of Maghera.
1828, Hugh Scullion, Townland of Lurganagoose, Parish of Termoneeny.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you Janet.
The time frame is right.His son John was born about 1825. How do you access this information? I am relatively new to searching in Ireland, and seem to be either bogged down or chasing red herrings.
What were the Tithe applotment books? I have so much to learn!!
I have searched the 1901 and 1910 census on the National Archives site, but are there any earlier census records available on line?
Thanks again, Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

Please find following a link to the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, they have produced a fact sheet on the Tithe.

Link:  http://www.proni.gov.uk/your_family_tree_series_-_23_-_tithe_records.pdf

I have not seen the Tithe Applotment books on line for Londonderry/Derry, but I imagine that they are probably available on some of the pay as you go sites.

Useful Londonderry/Derry links:

Link:  http://www.ukisearch.com/londonderry.html
Link:  http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/derry/index.htm

I note that you are in Australia, highly recommended that you send off for a National Library of Australia card if you have not already done so.  It will give you free access to various records, in particular a very large database of Irish newspapers.

Link:  http://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Janet.
I will work my way through those links over the next week. I had a lovely hour browsing the wills on the uki site. There are Hugh Scullions about. I just need to keep trying to tie him to my g g grandfather John Scullion who appeared in County Durham sometime before 1851. I haven't a definite date of birth for John, or I could get a fix on his birth record and apply for a copy of his birth cert.
I registered online for the National Library of Australia card.
I live in rural northern NSW but should be able to access some records online.
Are you in Australia too?
Will keep digging. Thanks again for your help.
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline Historyseeker2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Not sure if my family are related, I have a Martha Mullen who married Michael Scullion in Ballyscullion some time prior to 1841 when they left Ireland for Australia. Both Martha and Michael were born in approximately 1816.
Martha's parents are listed as George Mullen and Sarah Dinan. Michael's parents are listed as James Scullion and Rose Scullen.
Martha and Michael were both dead by November 1860 leaving Their 6 surviving children orphaned. Their two youngest boys have been extremely hard to trace I found James's death but there is no trace of the youngest William.
Kindest regards
Kristy