Author Topic: Crieff Perthshire McRobbie Douglas Drummond  (Read 8993 times)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crieff Perthshire McRobbie Douglas Drummond
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I live in Canada and am descended from Crieff, Perthshire McRobbie family.  A number of them settled in Crieff, Ontario.

I have solid information on John McRobbie married to Margaret Douglas on 24 Jan. 1808.  I believe John died about 1832, in Scotland.  Margaret then headed to Canada with her 4 living children.  My difficulty is family trees that do not agree.

It seems to be believed that John was born 1751 and that his parents were John, 1723- and Raitchell Drummond.  This would have meant John was quite elderly when he married and  fathered 5 children.

John McRobbie b: 07 Aug 1723 in Strathallan, Scotland, d: Crieff Vechter, Perthshire, Scotland
..... + Raitchell Drummond m: Abt. 1744
........... 2 Margaret McRobbie b: 10 Jan 1745/46
........... 2 John McRobbie b: 1751 in Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland
      + Margaret Douglas b: 1780
........... 2 Andrew McRobbie b: 28 Jul 1753 in Crieff, Vechter, Wester, Scotland, d: 26 Apr 1860 in
Tomaknock, Perthshire, Scotland

I searched on scotlandspeople and found a John McRobbie christened July 28 1851 at Crieff, Vechter, Perth.  No mother mentioned but father is John.  I believe this John is the missing link between John b 1723 and John husband of Margaret.  This is  a lot of guessing on my part.  There is a John McRobbie christened Apr 7 1779 son of John McRobbie and Cath (erine) Drummond).  I think the 1779 birthyear makes more sense as husband to Margaret.

My scenario
John McRobbie b: 07 Aug 1723 in Strathallan, Scotland, d: Crieff Vechter, Perthshire, Scotland
..... + Raitchell Drummond m: Abt. 1744
........... 2 Margaret McRobbie b: 10 Jan 1745/46
........... 2 John McRobbie b: 1751 in Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland
........... + Catherine Drummond
................. 3 John McRobbie b: 1779 in Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, d: 1832 in Scotland
................. + Margaret Douglas b: 1780 in Monzie, Perthshire, Scotland, m: 24 Jan 1808 in Crieff,
Perth, Scotland, d: Abt. 1856 in Puslinch Twp, Ontario, Canada
........... 2 Andrew McRobbie b: 28 Jul 1753 in Crieff, Vechter, Wester, Scotland, d: 26 Apr 1860 in
Tomaknock, Perthshire, Scotland

Simply put:   John 1723, father of John 1751, father of John 1779.  I think the middle John is needed.  As for the 2 Drummonds??

I was unable to find any other children besides John for John McRobbie and Raithchell Drummond.   I imagine the information was gleaned by someone in Scotland with more resources than I.

Someone in Scotland helped me find a will in Dumfrieshire which clarified a lot and I am hoping for the same here!!

Thanks

Offline markdou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Crieff Perthshire McRobbie Douglas Drummond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I live in Northern Ireland. We have a common connection in that i am descended from Margaret Douglas's brother Charles.
I'm afraid I can't help you with your query as such. I also failed to find a death for John in Scotland, though deaths weren't well recorded before civil registration.
I was aware that the McRobbies moved to Canada. There is info on a lot of them in the Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants which I found very interesting. My Charles apparently married a woman named Janet Haggart and they had a son christened in Dec 1816. I descend from him. Your Margaret, by the way, was actually born in 1783 but many records say 1780 because that number is written very large at the top of the page in the Old Parish Register whilst many entries underneath come from later years.
There were two other sisters in the family, Grace, who emigrated to Puslinch township in Canada and Helen. I've not had much success with her family, though a cousin in America has apparently had a lot of success recently.
Hopefully we will be able to give each other some more information of interest.

Best wishes,

Mark

Offline Amandathorne17

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 15 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I believe that I share many of the same ancestors as both of you. I have a lot of information for both sides of the family for the McRobbies and the Douglas'. In fact, some of the McRobbie's are actually buried beside my Mom's home in the cemetery there. I also have some photos and documents that you may be interested in.

Amanda

Offline markdou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amanda,
Impeccable timing as I have just been updating the McRobbie section on my website, douglasofmonzieandfowliswester.com

Please take a look and let me know anything I have wrong and anything I am missing. Having joined Ancestry at the start of the year I now have documentary evidence to back up second hand info on trees etc which others have shared with me and I've been adding that on bit by bit.

I'm short of info on the Harbottles, Kerrs and Stevensons so if you have anything to add there I'd appreciate it.

Mark

Offline markdou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Tell you what I'd like help with: did John McRobbie and Jane Boyne have TWO sons named John, one in 1878 and one in 1879?
I've seen the 1878 birth on Ancestry; I've seen the 1879 death. The 1879 death seems to say he was 24 hours old.

Mark

Offline bethmacrobbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I may be able to help with info on John & Jayne - they are my great grandparents.  They had one son named John or Johnny - born July 7, 1878 - died April 14, 1879 - they had a daughter Janet Isabelle that died at one year as well(she was born in 1893 - died in 1894)they are all buried in Crieff, Ontario and 5 children that lived Mary Jane, Carrie (Catherine) Maggie (Margaret) Andrew and Robert Douglas who was my grandfather.  The children were all MacRobbie's not Mc - not sure why it changed.  If you need anymore information please let me know
Beth MacRobbie

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been off genealogy for quite a while and just returned. 
I have the same birthdate for John McRobbie but there is a death record for a John that says he was 24 hours old.  Parent names are not given.  I have his cause of death as infantile convulsions.  I have him buried at Crown Cemetery, Morriston.  I have Janet Isabel at Crown cemetery as well.  After that everyone is buried at Crieff.  That is according to Find a Grave. Perhaps the family moved.    Next time I am in the area I should check. 
Every record I have seen for Carrie says her name is Caroline but I know records can have wrong information. 
I have a second Caroline born 1869 but I only have family information. I just assumed she died young but there is no record.   I can not find a birth record.
The 4 McRobbie brothers settled near Badenoch initially but some migrated to Crieff.  They are close.  Crieff and Duff's (across from Crown Cemetery) were a two point charge

Margaret Douglas has some interesting family lore attached to her.  She died in 1856 in Puslinch.  Her sister Isabella died in 1883 in Southampton, Bruce County which is about 2 hours north of Puslinch.  Grace died in 1879 in Manitoba which is a couple of days away. 

All I have on Charles is that he married Janet Haggert and had a son Charles in 1816.  People have tried to research him without success. 

I have MacRobbie in my tree but the spelling seems really inconsistent on records.

I will try to keep up to date now.

Jan

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:55 BST (UK) »

Mark,

Margaret Douglas is my 3x great grandmother.  She had a son, Andrew, who had a daughter , Margaret, who married William Kerr.  They are my great grandparents.  They had 7 children, one of whom was John William Kerr.  They had five children, one of whom is my mother, Elizabeth Jean.  She was born 1923 so didn't make the1921 census.  She died in 1995.  I have lots of Kerr information.

Andrew had a daughter, Isabella,  who married James Stevenson.  They both died in Bruce County near me.

I grew up with Harbottle's and my mom knew her cousins well.   They were connected through Henderson's. 

Let me know just what you are looking for and I will see if I can help.

Jan

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
I have realized I didn't give you the Harbottle connection you were likely looking for. 

Margaret Douglas' son, Andrew, had a daughter, Elizabeth Agnes who married John Harbottle at the home of the bride's father in Puslinch on Mar 3, 1881.  They had six children.

John Harbottle's parents are Robert Harbottle and Barbara Rochester.  Let me know what it is you are looking for. 

Jan