Author Topic: Glendinning Basket Maker  (Read 11450 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Glendinning Basket Maker
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Revisiting 1881 Glasgow Census of my Carrigan ggrandparents I re-read the family names in the relevant tenement building at Westmuir St., Glasgow.

Amazingly, the first listed is Thomas Glendinning, basket maker, (born Lanarkshire).  And the reason I was amazed? I have just started researching my OH's family tree, and one of the first names researched is his Grandmother, Jessie Glendinning - of a basket maker family from Elgin/Aberdeen area!  (Father was William Glendinning)

Is it just too strange a coincidence?  Could the Thomas Glendinning listed in Glasgow, be of a branch of my OH's Elgin/Aberdeen relatives?  I have found a death for this Thomas, age 57, (parents Thomas and Letitia Glendinning), in Glasgow.

Does anyone know the general story of the Glendinnings of either Glasgow or Elgin/Aberdeen of the late 1800's?  A well known ?Highland Traveller family?

What a possible coincidence?  My great grandparents living in the same tenement in 1881 as the possible relatives of my OH's Grandparents?  Tooooo much to believe, considering my OH (born Aberdeen) and I (born Glasgow),  didn't meet till we were well established in Sunny Australia?

Hmmmmmm....
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glendinning Basket Maker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am also researghing glendinning family.
I am a desendant of william but through his daughter georgina, my friend/3rd cousin comes from jessies line, william's parents are not who you think william was born in laggan to john glendinning and catherine stewart.
Where in oz are you? I am in the not so sunny scotland.
Look forward to your reply Dottie.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 11 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dottie,
Great to hear from you.

Jessie Glendinning was the maternal grandmother of my husband.  We have recently even got a photo of her.  We knew her father was William Glendinning and his father and mother were John Glendinning and Catherine Stewart.  Is Laggan somewhere near Aberdeen or Elgin?

I have been in South Australia since I was a teenager, and I must say that I used to think that I had a fair knowledge of Scotland - but the more family tree I research, the more I find out about Scotland's recent history.   Fascinating stuff.   And what varied lifestyles!  My own family are typical West Coast/Glasgow - ancestors who mostly worked in the Steel foundries, and cotton mills - so I was so amazed to find a "Glendinning" basketmaker living in the same tenement as my Foundry worker great grandparents in the middle of Glasgow.   Do you have any knowledge of Glendinnings in Glasgow?  They most likely are not connected to my husbands Glendinnings, or are "10th cousins, twice removed"... or something similar!!!lol

So, your Georgina and "our Jessie" were sisters?  Do you know of any other siblings?  We really are only just beginning to research my husbands tree. 

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply.
Laggan is inverness area, do you have william's birth certs., i do, there are more siblings i will pm you tomorrow night after my hubby has gone to work on his nightshift. Which child is your hubby's mum or dad? Dottie

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Dottie,
thanks for the reply.  No, we don't have any certs for William Glendinning - we know very little of him apart from the fact that his wife was ?Gemima or ?Jamesina? Kellie or Kelbie? - oh, I am lying, we have his death entry - died 30 November 1919 in Elgin?  but that is about all we know.  My OH is the son of Jessie Glendinning's daughter Joan. 

I think my brain has turned to mush, because I have just been trying to sort out a real confused batch of my ancestors - Carrigans who kept changing the spelling of their names, also married into at least two or three branches of Corrigans - and now I am trying to sort out a Mary Ann who had a son by her first marriage, said son married the auntie of a young lady, who married Mary Ann's son by her second marriage..... yes, it actually does make sense - but I had to talk to myself for half an hour before I could sort it out.

Definitely time for bed for me. !!  Cheers

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 February 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
There were plenty of basketmakers making wicker baskets for stoneware whisky jars and the like.  The east end of Glasgow had several important stoneware potteries.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I too have been carrying out some research on the Glendinning family as it touches on to my late wifes KELBIE family - Jemima Ann Kelbie being the wife of William Glendinning. William and Jemima had 11 children - all born either in Aberdeenshire or Banffshire (although Georgina was born in Perthshire). Jessie Glendinning (1869-1942) married a renowned basket-maker Ebenezer Hay McMillan (1861-1943) and had 14 children.
The family remained in the Morayshire area and can be found on the Morayshire Heritage Site - http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp - which I have found to be most helpful.
I have found none of this family in or around the Glasgow area, but that is not to say that John Glendinning and Catherine Stewart didnt have more family than I have found so far.
I would appreciate it if you would get in touch with me and we could exchange further details

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 February 11 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi bill i was wondering if you have a marriage or a death for john and catherine ? and like you i can find no trace of these thanks Dottie.

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 February 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Currently no Dottie. Going by their birth dates I would expect them to have got married pre-SR (1855) so would have to delve into the OPRs. I really havent been doing the OPRs to date, but am getting to the point that I will have to start on them - I am using a 'bucket' system to gather as much data on the all those with connections to the KELBIEs and it is standing at almost 6000 individuals. You can imagine that gathering all the certificates to prove that number is a mammoth task.
However I will have a look for John and Catherine on my next visit to Edinburgh.

Bill

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)