Author Topic: Gravestone look-up? Rothesay / BUCHANAN  (Read 8770 times)

Offline LeggattNZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Gravestone look-up? Rothesay / BUCHANAN
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi from New Zealand,

I am trying to get an image/transcription of my 5x Gt-Grandfather's gravestone in "Chapel Hill", Rothesay.

Can anyone help, or help with finding any official records - all I have is the following via the Families in British India Society.

"Sept 7th 1877 at Chapel Hill, Rothesay, Scotland, Daniel Buchanan, formerly of Poona (father of the widow of the late Wiliam James Kenderdine, Superintending Engineer, Engine Dept HM's Mint, Bombay) aged 78 years, deeply regretted"

His wife, Mary/Marion (nee Cameron) is also buried there: 

"Mary Cameron, widow of Daniel Buchanan, the Museum, died at Chapelhill, Rothesay on 4th Jan 1878 (Greenock Advertiser 7.1.1878) Source: Watt Library, Greenock, BMD under Buchanan"

Any help appreciated as distance is hindering me!! :)

Thanks
Helen
South Island, NZ
British India 1765-1945 Rogers, Kenderdine, Reeves, McCoig-Lees

UK - McLean, Moorfield, Mason, Broom, Ripiner

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone look-up? Rothesay / BUCHANAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
ChapelHill is not a gravestone, it is the name of a street in the main town of Rothesay on the Isle of Bute, a street which, I used to walk up it everyday to go to school. There are several cemetries on the island, namely High Kirk, Barone, and Croc-anRaer and Kingarth .
Brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.