Author Topic: Taaffe family in Coolnagun / Dunamon - Help please???  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taaffe family in Coolnagun / Dunamon - Help please???
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My mother was born in London in 1929 to a single mum, and unofficially "adopted" by a family in the Newcastle on Tyne area.  After a good hunt I have recently obtained a copy of her birth mothers birth cert. She was Mary Josephine Taaffe, born 7th Feb in 1907 in  Coolnagun, Co. Westmeath.
Father : Joseph Taaffe, Mother: Margaret formerly McKeown. 
(It is no coincidence that the family who raised Mum were McKeon's who moved to the north east of England, from Ireland just before the turn of the century.)
I think I have found Mary's family in the 1911 census at nearby Dunamon, though the surname is Taffe. Joseph and Margaret had 5 children as well as Mary 4,  (John 7, Joseph 6, Christiana 2, Katherleen 1, and baby Margaret.
I would really appreciate some advice as to how to find out more about the family. I have little experience in searching records in Ireland, but need to learn, as my paternal g.g.grandad who migrated to Gateshead in about 1850 was a Scullion, from Derry, I think.  Looking forward to finding my roots, on both sides, and making friends along the way.
Greetings from Australia,
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Taaffe family in Coolnagun / Dunamon - Help please???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Don’t be too concerned about the spelling of the surnames in your family. The spelling commonly changed all the time at that era.

Joseph Taafe’s marriage to Margaret M’Keon is registered in Granard, Co Longford Volume 3, page 142. (There’s advice on the Irish Resources page that tells you how to get a copy of it). Though the family lived in Westmeath, I assume the nearest registrar was in Longford, hence registration there. Note also that Mgt McKeown/M'Keon was born in Longford.

I also noticed Christina’s birth, again registered Granard, Jan – March 1909 Volume 3, page 137. You can search for the others on the LDS Beta or pilot sites.

www.familysearch.org/

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

If you get the marriage cert details, it’ll give you the 2 fathers names and their occupations, as well as the couples residence at time of marriage which may help you find Joseph and Mgt's births and go back a generation.
Elwyn

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your quick response. I was getting nowhere searching Westmeath records. When I look now at the birth certificate it does show that the birth was registered in the registrar's district of Granard, even though it was in Co. Westmeath. Hopefully I will get more results now!!
I will definitely apply for a copy of their marriage cert.
I think I found Margaret's family in Leitrim, a village in Longford, in the 1901 and 1911 census. The marriage cert will help me confirm that this is her family.
This is a whole new family for me, and my Mum who is 82 this year, and only now discovering her roots.
Thanks again. Will keep you posted.
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe

Offline patricks 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My mother was born in London in 1929 to a single mum, and unofficially "adopted" by a family in the Newcastle on Tyne area.  After a good hunt I have recently obtained a copy of her birth mothers birth cert. She was Mary Josephine Taaffe, born 7th Feb in 1907 in  Coolnagun, Co. Westmeath.
Father : Joseph Taaffe, Mother: Margaret formerly McKeown. 
(It is no coincidence that the family who raised Mum were McKeon's who moved to the north east of England, from Ireland just before the turn of the century.)
I think I have found Mary's family in the 1911 census at nearby Dunamon, though the surname is Taffe. Joseph and Margaret had 5 children as well as Mary 4,  (John 7, Joseph 6, Christiana 2, Katherleen 1, and baby Margaret.
I would really appreciate some advice as to how to find out more about the family. I have little experience in searching records in Ireland, but need to learn, as my paternal g.g.grandad who migrated to Gateshead in about 1850 was a Scullion, from Derry, I think.  Looking forward to finding my roots, on both sides, and making friends along the way.
Greetings from Australia,
Eileen

Hi Eileen
I'm a Scullion from Gateshead/Felling area.
Do you have any more details re your paternal g.g.grandad and I can see if I can help.
Thanks
Patrick

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your quick response. I was getting nowhere searching Westmeath records. When I look now at the birth certificate it does show that the birth was registered in the registrar's district of Granard, even though it was in Co. Westmeath. Hopefully I will get more results now!!
I will definitely apply for a copy of their marriage cert.
I think I found Margaret's family in Leitrim, a village in Longford, in the 1901 and 1911 census. The marriage cert will help me confirm that this is her family.
This is a whole new family for me, and my Mum who is 82 this year, and only now discovering her roots.
Thanks again. Will keep you posted.
Eileen

What address is on it??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry...didn't realize you were replying to something from 2011
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline patricks 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry...didn't realize you were replying to something from 2011

I rediscovered this site again earlier today when I noticed the shortcut on my laptop. After opeinng the site up I searched on my surname and one of the items that I noticed was your post from 2011.

It got my interest as many years ago in the late 1970's / early 1980's a gentleman had visited the Felling area and had said that he had some kind of a family connection with a Scullion family of Felling, he was from Australia and was touring Europe and the UK.

Please let me know if there is anything that you think I can help you with.

Thanks

Patrick Scullion

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello -

It is possible that Christina Mary Taaffe, born 1928 in Westmeath and married to my uncle, Dermot McKernan, is the sister of Mary Josephine Taaffe, although born over twenty years later.

If you think that this may be of interest, let me know.

craggagh.

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I have missed these replies, perhaps a change of email address?
Anyway, Patrick, I have gone as far as I can with my Scullion line it seems. 4 generations of  John Scullion, dob, 1926, 1899, 1871, and lastly John Scullion who appears on the 1851 census from Ireland. Marriage cert shows father Hugh, labourer Ireland. Dob around 1826. He married Catherine Haney (Heaney) also from Ireland. I cannot imagine how I can isolate them on Ireland without further information. Yes, they did live in the Gateshead, Felling area. My father did visit from Australia but it was more like 1993?
Cragaagh, this is exciting. I did discover Christina’s marriage, and I believe she too migrated to Australia? I would be grateful for any information you can share with me. Will try to send a pm to let you know my research since 2011.
Thanks,
Eileen
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe