Author Topic: Temperance House, Watton, Brecknock.  (Read 3354 times)

Offline samthecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Temperance House, Watton, Brecknock.
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, Robert Thomas b.1830 together with his wife Elizabeth and their family, was resident in Brecon during 1861 at Temperance House, Watton, next door to the Kings Arms, working as a confectioner.  I noticed from the census that the Kings Arms was inhabited by a cabinet maker and his family, plus a boarder, so I assume it was not being as a pub at that time.  My query is what was the purpose of Temperance House at this time?  Was it anything to do with the Army?  Robert was described as an Officer's servant in 1852 at the time of his marriage, (presumably attached to the Barracks), so it seems strange that his profession had changed to a confectioner by 1861.  However, by the time of the 1871 census the family had moved to Market Street and he was working as a Hotel Ostler. Any information welcome!

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Temperance House, Watton, Brecknock.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 11 01:38 BST (UK) »
... My query is what was the purpose of Temperance House at this time?  Was it anything to do with the Army? 

Temperance is about not drinking alcohol!  It started in Preston in 1832 when Joseph Livesey and other working men signed the pledge that they would refrain from drinking alcohol. It quickly spread and by 1835 the British Association for the Promotion of Temperance was set up.

The British Women's Temperance Association was sat up to encourage men to take the pledge! There would be more money to feed and clothe the family if the menfolk could be persuaded to stop going to the Pubs, and there would be less trouble in towns.

Salvation Army members and Quakers lobbied Parliament for a change in the law to restrict the sale of alcohol. This led to Sunday closing of Public huses, which lasted in some places well into the 1980s!

The National Temperance Federation formed in 1884.

Nonconformists were very active in the temperance movement and the evil of drink was a popular theme in Sunday services!

Temperances Houses and Temperance Cafes spread all over the country in the nineteenth century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline samthecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Morgan.  Perhaps I did not make myself clear though. My query was purely about Temperance House on the Watton.  As my ancestor was stated to be a confectioner at this time was he engaged in making pastries to go with soft drinks and teas or was he just living there as a confectioner? Being that he had been in the Army prior to this, I wondered whether it had been an Army Temperance House as I know the Army in Brecon included a Temperance Movement.  I just thought one of the local Brecon historians might have had some knowledge of the property at the time. Carol.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Ah sorry about the misunderstanding!  :D

I think a confectioner would have made sweets and chocolate, although a baker and confectioner would have made cakes and pastries too. I suppose an army town would have been a good place to set up a temperance movement  ;D