Author Topic: HORSLEY - South Dalton  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Yelsroh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HORSLEY - South Dalton
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 16:33 GMT (UK) »
My brickwall - my earliest ancestor Richard HORSLEY married ANN FENTON in Nov 1793 and then baptised son JOHN in June 1794 both events at South Dalton.
John was working and living in Birmingham by 1820 but what happened to Richard and Ann and were there siblings etc.  Can anyone solve this 30 year problem. ::)

Offline Ramses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HORSLEY - SOUTH DALTON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a Richard Horsley b 1851c living with an ancestor of mine William Horsley b 1897 in Riplingham and was living in Cherry Burton in the 1841 census aged 90. I suspect he his Williams grandfather but as I have no name for Williams father as yet it may be your Richard.

Cherry Burton is very close to South Dalton and Horsley is not that common a name I shall try and look up some info in Beverley when I can get there next.   

Offline Yelsroh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ramses.   
Thanks so much for the reply.  I feel you might have made a crack in the wall.
I have been told that Horsley is a very common name in East Yorkshire so have fingers crossed and look forward to hearing again if you find anything.
Thanks   Yelsroh.

Offline Ramses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 11 00:52 GMT (UK) »
If I turn anything up I will get back to you

Offline jackella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Richard Horsley died in 1850 and was buried in Cherry Burton, his aged was recorded as 80 years.  He was probably the father of William, 1797 - 1868, Riplingham.  William was also buried in Cherry Burton and his grave marked with a very impressive headstone.  From my research William was a church warden.  From the baptism records of his children, William was a labourer.  By the 1840's he is recorded as a farmer.

The eldest children of William and his wife Jane were Richard and Elizabeth.  The first Richard must have died before 1830 when the next Richard was baptised. 

There is a possible marriage in Walkington in about 1792 between Richard Horsley and Elizabeth Chisman or Chesman.  Richard is recorded as being from Rowley.

Riplingham and Rowley are very close so it is possible that the above couple are the parents of William.

There is a Richard Horsley born Eastrington about 1771 - his parents were John and Elizabeth.  The Richard born 1830 went on the marry Sarah Collinson Fox.  Their eldest son was John - was this for his gt.grandfather?

Richard and Sarah emigrated to America in about 1882 and are buried in Troy City, Illinois.

Hope this helps and makes some sort of sense.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Checked the Bishops Transcripts for Richard & Ann Horsley nee Fenton and have found there marriage and Ann's Baptism plus siblings all in South Dalton, checking on through to 1810 I could only find baptism for John as you said, no others registered in this place.
Richard Horsley buried as Jackella says in Cherry Burton 15 Aug 1850 aged 80yrs so born c1770 if age correct on BT's Burial record.
gogogadgdetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yelsroh,
Just found a Baptism on the IGI for a Richard Horsley 29/03/1771 Fridaythorpe Father John Horsley
gogogadgetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline jackella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HORSLEY - South Dalton
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
A little more on the Horsley family.  Richard Horsley and Elizabeth Chesman married in Walkington in 1791.  A child, Sarah, was baptised in Rowley in 1792, Elizabeth Horsley was buried in 1815 and a Mary Horsley married a John Ashbriggs in 1818.  On the 1851 both William, 1797, and Mary Ashbriggs, 1794, claim to have been born in Riplingham.

On familysearch.org if you imput Rowley, 1790 - 1815, parents Richard and Elizabeth Hors****, the following baptisms appear:-

1792  Sarah Horsley

1794  Mary Horstliffe

1797  William Horstliffe

1800  Thomas Horstliffe

1803  Hannah Horstliffe

1807  John Horstliffe

1810  Chesman Horstliff

The originals records at Beverley Archives give the name Horstliffe - it is not just a mistranscription.

However, it seems to me that the last child is the real clue, I cannot believe that anyone else but a child of Richard Horsley and Elizabeth Chesman would have the name Chesman.

So I am now convinced that Richard is my partner's gt.gt.gt. gt. grandfather, and also that he was probably the Richard born in Eastrington in 1772.  Elizabeth Chesman was probably born in Hook, also in 1772.

We probably will never know if the Vicar of Rowley was a little deaf or Richard Horsley had a slight speech impediment but it all makes the hunt for ancestors a trifle more difficult.  If only the rest of the family were interested in all this!

Offline jackella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HORSLEY - South Dalton
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Having spent ages trying to prove Richard Horsley, buried Cherry Burton 1851, was the son of John Horsley and Eizabeth from Eastrington, have only managed to prove he was not!

However, have found the Will of John Horsley, Yeoman, of Fimber, dated 1809.  He names his wife, Jude, and children Richard, Thomas, William, John, Catherine, Hannah and Mary.  The Will can be seen on York Peculiars Probate Index (FindMyPast), probate was granted 1828.

There is also the Will of Thomas Horsley, Yeoman of Fimber, dated 1815, probate 1826.