Author Topic: MI,s in Leslie Cemetery  (Read 16297 times)

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI,s in Leslie Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
Please tell me how you connect back to Townsend Thomson? I would love to add you to my family tree on Ancestry.com
Thanks,
Nicky

Hi Nicky,,  My Thomson connection is through the son of James Thomson and Townsend Dick. He Was Robert Thomson b22/5/1807 in Markinch Died 13/12/1834. He was the brother of Townsend Thomson,s father John . His wife was Mary Millie b 1810 in Auchtermuchty, d 22/1/1859 in Leslie. She married an Andrew Brown in 1837 after the death of Robert. 
One of Robert and Mary,s daughter' was Janet Thomson  my GG grand mother. She was born in Markinch 21/2/1830, d 4/8/1914 in Leslie. She was also known in some census data as Jane or Townsend. In fact she had a sister called Townsend , b1832 and another sister Mary b 1834. They also had another 6 half siblings after their mother remarried.
Janet married Thomas Scott in Leslie 16/5/1853. They had around 7 children, my line through Peter Scott b11/2/1869 in Leslie. He married Elizabeth Cumming b2/8/1870 in Largo, in Leslie 15/4/1895. They had 3 children My Grandfather David McRae Scott, b 19/11/1898 in Renfrew, Jessie Miller Scott, b5/4/1903 and Jane Townsend Thomson Scott b 16/10/1910 also in Renfrew.   
Hope this fills in a few blanks for you.
Regards Gerry

scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 December 15 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the info.
My line back to James Thomson and Townsend Dick is as follows:
James Thomson (& Townsend Dick)
   John Thomson (Euphemia Burt)
      Townsend Thomson (unmarried - bore 3 illegitimate children)
         Isabella Miller Thomson (& Alexander Matthew) (these 2 immigrated to South Africa)
            George Matthew (& Myrtle Stone)
               Jean Matthew (& Bill Bensimon)
                  Me
I think we are 4th cousins once removed!

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 December 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
HiNicky , Thanks for that, it's very interesting. I think we are 4th cousins. My grandfather David McRae Scott married Agnes Jamieson in 1920 and they had 3 children, my mother, born 1920, who married my father Don Gerrard in 1944, my uncle Peter Scott and Aunt Elizabeth Scott. I have 3 younger brothers and my wife and I have 2 daughters and 8 grandchildren. It's amazing how a family tree spreads out over the generations.
Best wishes Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline Niknak13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 December 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I find my family history to be utterly absorbing and can spend hours and hours researching & reading. I have recently submitted my DNA to Ancestry.com and am hoping that will help me find even more relations & maybe fill in a few of the more stubborn gaps. I love the stories about the people. Like my Townsend Thomson. I think she must have opened quite a few eyes & I would love to have met her. Back in the mid 1800's it was definitely frowned upon to have an illegitimate child, never mind 3! From what I have found on the census's and death certificates and so on, each of her 3 children had a different father. She never married and worked as a dressmaker in Leslie for most of her life. Her eldest child was fathered by Thomas Shoolbred - this is specified on the birth certificate. But her second child (my great grandmother, Isabella Miller Thomson) had no father specified on the birth certificate...but she was given the second name of Miller, so I assume that her father was a Mr Miller. One Isabella's death certificate in South Africa it is stated that her parents were James Miller & Euphemia Townsend - but this was a blatant lie. Makes me think Isabella was ashamed that she was illegitimate. I don't have a photo of her unfortunately. Thanks for getting back to me on all of this. I am going to be in England & Scotland in Sept & Oct 2016 to do some family tree research and am hoping to uncover some more information then.
Cheers,
Nicky

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 December 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
:-\   I don't have two names

David Isaac, I think he may have died in Leslie then his wife moved to Kinghorn.  Not certain though, since the 1841 census is unavailable, so not 100% if he was still alive/dead or in Kinghorn.  Clutching at straws, nevermind.

Hi Jo,

Do you have the marriage for David Isaac & wife........what was her name, what were their ages, where/when were they married & do you have the details for the wife's death..when/where?

Annie

ADDED.......Do you have any info. at all on David & their children?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline caorach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 August 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, new to this forum, so hope this is how to do it!

I have some info on David Isaac and Sophia Mathieson / Matthewson, who married in 1814 - the marriage was registered in both Dysart &Wemyss as respective parishes. They went on to have at least 10 children, one of whom was also named David Isaac - he is the one I'm most interested in. He married Ann Bell in Kinghorn in 1850.

Sophia Isaac ms Mathewson was born in 1791 in Kilconquar, and died in Kinghorn in 1869. She was widowed by 1851 - I have no details of what happened to her husband - indeed, he is our family mystery! Various rumours as to where he originally came from as the earliest record we have is his marriage in 1814. I do know he was living at Prinlaws, Leslie in 1835.

Would love to know if anyone has more info on the Isaacs or Matthewsons!

Wendy

Offline Sanmiguel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 August 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy

We may have been in touch before. So far I have got no further back than the David Isaac who was married to Sophia Mathieson - I too would be keen to learn more.  What rumours have you heard about David Isaac's origins?

I did learn more about the family of David Isaac's son John - "my" part of that family. The eldest son was always either David Isaac or John Isaac, turn and turn about. If the eldest was David then one other son would be called John - and if the eldest son was named John then another son was called David. That held good for at least 5 generations.

My grandfather, a John Isaac, had children named David, William, John, James, Robert, Jean and Christina - six of those names match the names of the children of David Isaac and Sophia Mathieson, which can't be coincidence. It suggests my grandfather had a record going back at least three generations (i.e. to David Isaac, husband of Sophia); if I can find out what happened to his records then there may be some other clues as to origin.

If I have any future success tracking David Isaac I will post again on this forum.

Mike Isaac