Author Topic: MI,s in Leslie Cemetery  (Read 16294 times)

Offline pete38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI,s in Leslie Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry, Townsend Thomson isn't my direct relative, her sister Margaret is. I couldn't find Margaret in the 1841 census but Townsend was living away from her family in Coaltown of Balgownie with the Gibson family as a 10 year old servant. She was back with her family again in Leslie in 1951 working as a flax spinner. I'm not sure what happened to her father John. I can't find his death or any sign of him in censuses.

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

I found something strange about Jane Townsend Scott nee Thomson.
 On her death cert she died on 4/8/1914 in leslie age 83.  She was widow of Thomas scott, gas maker.  Her father was down as robert thomson and mother Mary thomson nee Millie.
 I found a birth record for a Townsend Thomson  b 19/4/1831 in leslie, father John Thomson and mother euphemia burt.
Marriage record shows a Thomas Scott married a Townsend Thomson in Leslie on 16/6/1853.
Thomas scott died 31/5/1899 in leslie, same address as Jane. he was a gas manager. his death cert states he was married to Jane townsend scott.
Also found a janet thomson born 23/8/1830 in markinch father robert thomson mother mary millie.
Do these names mean anything to you in your research? I wonder why the Jane is missing from Townsend,s name so often.?

Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Parents are William Mathewson and Mary Miller. 

I found Agnes (b. 1794) and Elizabeth (abt 1790) living in Prinlaws, Leslie (between 1851 and 1861), but they were both born in Kilconquhar. 

Sorry Jo nothing on Agnes & Elixabeth

NorrieG
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking NorrieG  :)
MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline pete38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Gerry, I have 3 records of Townsend and non of them mention the name Jane. My family line is through John Thomson & Euphemia Burt. The Towsend name comes from her grandmother Townsend Dick married to James Thomson. They had a son Robert and I think possibly Townsend Thomson and Jane Townsend Thomson were 2 separate people and were cousins. Pete.

Offline gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete
                    Thanks for that info. I,m still confused. Do you know if the Townsend Thomson  in marriage records as marrying Thomas Scott (myGGG grandfather) in Leslie on 15/5/1853 is your Townsend.
? I can find some records of Jane Thomson,s around same birth date as the one I,m looking for but wrong mother and father.  I can find no jane with father robert thomson and mother Mary Millie., So---
I have a Janet Thomson b to Robert Thomson and Mary Millie in Markinch on 21/2/1830,  christened on 23/8/1830.(family search.org)  Could she also be called Jane with the addition of Townsend as middle name.? 
I have found a Townsend Thomson b Leslie on 19/4/1831, father John Thomson mother Euphen Burt.
I have a Thomas Scott d 31/5/1899 age 67,  married to Jane Townsend Thomson.
Jane Townsend Thomson widow of Thomas Scott, died 4/8/1914, age 83. F Robert thomson. M Mary Millie. This would make her birth year 1831 though, not 1830 as Janet,s is. 
In 1861 census Thomas Scott in Prinlaws, Leslie along with wife Townsend Scott and a few children. Also a Mary Thomson--sister-in-law do you know of her?
I cannot pin this down. Is janet really Jane Townsend Thomson.  ?

Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 February 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Norrie,

I was wondering if you could look up your index for Leslie Cemetery for any Wallace's.  There may be quite a few.

Thanking you,
weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 February 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if you could look up your index for Leslie Cemetery for any Wallace's.  There may be quite a few.,
   Hi weemanswife  not a lot of Wallaces in Leslie
these are the 4 I have

Les.   321  Andrew Wallace Eliza Lornie  &Janet Blyth
Les.   116  James  Wallace  Maggie  Mackie   
Les.   141  William  Wallace   Ann   Simpson   
Les.   373  John   Michie      Jean    Wallace

Give the 2 names your are looking for and I will check other cemeteries ( must have 2 names )
NorrieG
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline pete38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 February 11 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Gerry, I've solved the riddle. There were indeed 2 Townsend Thomsons. Your relative Jane(t) Townsend b. 1930 to Robert and Mary died 1914 and my relative Townsend b. 1931 to John and Euphemia died also in Leslie in 1910. She was single. She may have had a child though as the relative who signed her death certificate was named as her grandson. Pete