Author Topic: Liverpool Kings Regiment Photos WW1  (Read 16846 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Kings Regiment Photos WW1
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha ...Wallaby ...you`re right ..it ws A E Walsby ...I am cracking up ...lol and they did have another shop in Renshaw St ...
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha ...Wallaby ...you`re right ..it ws A E Walsby ...I am cracking up ...lol and they did have another shop in Renshaw St ...
allan

hahahahha... may I suggest that next time you pass that opticians you go in! LOL!

Nice to hear form you Garstonite ;-)

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Ah, now we have the battalion, we can say that they went to France in 1915, arriving at Le Havre on 6 March, so your g/father must have followed after the main battalion's crossing.  They were part of Sirhind Brigade in the Lahore Division, [mostly Indian Army] based at Robecq until 10 Nov 1915 when they joined 137 brigade in 46th Division. In December 1915 thhey were part of 2nd Division, and in Feb 1916 33rd Division.  At the Armistice they were at Sassegnies in France, but  at some stage his progress will have been interrupted by the transfer to the Labour Corps.

This site will give you some idea of the structure of the army: division, brigade and battalion:
http://www.1914-1918.net/

The Christmas card is a great example and you must treasure it.
A

A

To update you...

From further research I have now discovered 2 more children that neither I, nor my few cousins, knew about. So my grandparents had 8 children in all, with only 4 of the 8 surviving.

This new information has revealed the possible reason why my grandfather, William Henry Welsby, followed after the main battalion crossing. According to his service card, he didn't arrive in France until the 1st May 1915. His battalion had arrived at Le Havre on 6 March 1915.  The reason might be this...  I have found a birth of a son on the 29th April 1915. Just 2 days before he arrived in France.  Would my grandfather have been given permission to follow his battalion after the birth of his son ?

Isn't it fantastic how you can piece a persons life together nearly 90 years after they've died!

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 August 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
HG2

The weekly return of men adding or being struck off the strength of the battalion showed Pte 10912 William Welsby as being taken to hospital on 17th April 1916 whilst serving with 4 KLR. He is also shown as being admitted to the Field Ambulance on the same date.

I can't immediately locate details of him coming back on strength.

The Battalion were in trenches at Auchy on that date.
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 August 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
A few years ago there was an old book about the KLR in the Maritime Archives in the Maritime Museum at Albert Dock also a book of the daily diaries of the commanding officers of the KLR in France. I guess these books are now in the museum at the Pierhead where they have a permanent KLR exhibition which deserves looking at.
I found info about the 2nd/5th battalions in 1917 which was when my uncle William Baylis PAUL was wounded and died.
If you can find similar records for your battalion then I would think a gas attack would be mentioned.
I have  a photo taken of about 20 soldiers doing bayonet drill in 1915 which includes my uncle. They are at a seaside place which I have not yet been able to identify although the photo was put on this site some years ago. The original is now held by the above museum but not on show.
Humphpaul 
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Andyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 September 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
There's a set of books available...The History of the King's Regiment (Liverpool) 1914-19. by Everard Wyrall...3 volumes,I have a set which I think I got from www.naval-military-press.com .They detail where the various battallions served.

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
HG2

The weekly return of men adding or being struck off the strength of the battalion showed Pte 10912 William Welsby as being taken to hospital on 17th April 1916 whilst serving with 4 KLR. He is also shown as being admitted to the Field Ambulance on the same date.

I can't immediately locate details of him coming back on strength.

The Battalion were in trenches at Auchy on that date.

YES, that's him!!!! Where did you find this information ? 
His number was first 10912, then changed to 410798. Would there be any further record or medical report of him anywhere ?

Thank you so much for finding this Stephen

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
A few years ago there was an old book about the KLR in the Maritime Archives in the Maritime Museum at Albert Dock also a book of the daily diaries of the commanding officers of the KLR in France. I guess these books are now in the museum at the Pierhead where they have a permanent KLR exhibition which deserves looking at.
I found info about the 2nd/5th battalions in 1917 which was when my uncle William Baylis PAUL was wounded and died.
If you can find similar records for your battalion then I would think a gas attack would be mentioned.
I have  a photo taken of about 20 soldiers doing bayonet drill in 1915 which includes my uncle. They are at a seaside place which I have not yet been able to identify although the photo was put on this site some years ago. The original is now held by the above museum but not on show.
Humphpaul

I will, thanks for this advice.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 September 13 11:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't help with any photos but my grt grandfather (John Gilleeney) also served in the Kings Liverpool Regiment (4th Extra Reserve) and has a similar number to your grandfather (11882). He was also injured and transferred to the Labour Corps and again has a similar number (413665). He served in the Labour Corps until given an Honourable Discharge on the 6th March 1919.

I would imagine that your grandfather would have served in the Boer War prior to WW1 and that was why he was in the Extra Reserve regiment.

Regards, Phil

I have also found Militia Attestation records for my grandfather. His number then was, 3648. 4th Battalion. LKR. He enlisted on 8th July 1896. He was then 18years 4 months old. It gives his description as being 5 ft 5inches, 114 lbs. sandy hair, complexion fair, brown eyes.

EDIT: There is a note in red on these Attestation papers, which reads... "Lpool Reg 25/9/1896."

I got some advice from a member of the Great War Forum about this attestation record, which is...  quote:

"William H never served in the Militia - I think he "Attested" (8/7/1896), but changed his mind and then enlisted as a "Regular" into the Kings Regt on the 25th September 1896, which I conclude from the red handwriting - these Militia Documents would then have become unused.

If he has joined as a regular into the Kings he would have automatically been renumbered, again a four figure number. His terms of service in 1896 would have been "7 & 5" - seven years with the Colours and five years with the Reserve. If this is correct then he would have been Discharged to Reserve and civilian life in 1903, at the end of the Boer War. If this is the case then his complete Discharge would have been 1908, with no further obligations.

At the outbreak of the War he was probably impelled to re-enlist, this would account for him being re-numbered with a five figure regular number, his old regular number now dufuct.

What you need to look at is the "Muster Rolls" for the Regular Kings battalions as my instincts and these documents are telling me he was a pre-war regular." Unquote. 

Could he have served in the Boer War ?
Would there be any records of LKR soldiers of the Boer War ?

HG2

Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby