Author Topic: Help trace McGurn - Glasgow 1851/61  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help trace McGurn - Glasgow 1851/61
« on: Monday 18 April 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
I have reached the proverbial brick wall with my search.

I cannot trace any birth records for my Great Great Grandfather, Dennis McGurn and in the 1881 census he is married and living in Paisley and it states he was born Glasgow/Lanark around 1857 - 1859.
There are no traces of him on the 1871 census. To add to the confusion his father has a different name on different documents.

Dennis's marriage certificate names his father as Martin McGurn and his mother Margaret McGurn nee Campbell.  His death certificate names his father as Patrick McGurn and his mother Margaret McGurn nee Campbell, again no trace of Martin McGurn on the 1871 census, although he may be deceased by then, but I cannot trace his death certificate either.
I did find a death certificate for Helen McGurn who died in 1863, her parents were Martin & Margaret.  The death was registered by his brother Patrick. They lived in Hill Street Anderston Glasgow.

I did trace a marriage certificate for a Patrick McGurn and Margaret Campbell 1861. Coincidence ??

What I need to know is, were Martin & Margaret ever married,  were there 2 Margaret Campbells.  Perhaps  Dennis's parents both died young and he was raised by his uncle Patrick, there are a lot of Patricks out there at that time.
and where can I get info on Martin & Margarets marriage (this may have been in Ireland) Martins death and Dennis' birth.  I believe they were Roman Catholics.

Dennis fathered 10 children. They all had similar names to other McGurns in the glasgow area around 1871 ie Margaret, Mary, Elizabeth, Isabella, John, William, Denis, Hugh.  Martin & Sarah died in infancy.

Is there anywhere I can get any of this information. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
McGurn, Morton, Main, Templeton

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help trace McGurn - Glasgow 1851/61
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can't see a Martin McGurn in Glasgow index 1851/61

If Helen/Ellen McGurn was born after 1855, her birth cert will give her parents date of marriage, if they did indeed marry.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Thanks for checking that out.  No birth records for Helen either I'm afraid.

So looks like I've reached the end of the road with my Scottish search. :(

Maggie

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:28 BST (UK) »
Maggie, This birth record is in IGI so it must be on 'scotlandspeople'

ELLEN MCGURN     
     Female         

Event(s):
   Birth:     
22 JUL 1862      Anderston, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
   Christening:
   Death:
   Burial:

Parents:
     Father:     MARTIN MCGURN    Family
     Mother:     MARGARET CAMPBELL    

Liz

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 19:55 BST (UK) »
Liz

Your a star.  I dont know what I was doing wrong but I just couldnt find it, so I just typed in the surname and year of birth that you gave me and there is a record there.   :)Unfortunately there is a problem with the site at the moment, so it means I cant view it yet.  Maybe I will get a marriage date there or at least some clues.

Is there any mention of a Dennis/Denis's birth on your magical IGI site.  He would have been born 1857 -59, ages differ on each document, or is this a site anyone can access and I could check for myself?

Thanks again for your help with this..all may not yet be lost :)

Maggie

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 20:09 BST (UK) »
Maggie, It's the LDS site, where you can search for births and marriages, it is not complete. It also has 1880/1 census for USA, Canada and England.

www.familysearch.org

Liz

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 05 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

I managed to view the birth certificate for Ellen/Helen, it has Martin McGurn as the  father and Margaret Campbell as the mother, married in Glasgow in 1854.
No marriage records !!

Is there anywhere I can access a 1861 census ? in the hope they may be there..although they dont seem to be recorded anywhere else.

I tried the site you mentioned and eventually managed to get some names...it was a bit of a struggle getting information...

Any advice will be appreciated before I sink into the McGurn black hole as they all seem to have moved around a bit and ages differ greatly which leads to even more confusion and frustration.

thanks

Maggie

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
Maggie,, I think I've found him in 1861 index. 
Census taken ANDERSON 644/8 enum dis 45 page 8

Martin McGorran age 34 born Antrim Ireland
Margaret age 30 born Donegal Ireland
Dennis age 5 born Glasgow
Patrick age 1 born Glasgow

McGurn/McGorran,  How those emumerators like to make it difficulf for us in our search.

All the best
Liz

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
Liz

Thanks again for your help.  Have found Martin McGorran & Margaret Campbell marriage on Scotlands People, unfortunately there are no records available to view..does it get any harder?
The info you gave me from the census means my Great Grandfather was born in 1856, but no birth records found under McGorran/McGurn.  Nor no death records for Martin.  Maybe he and Margaret went back to Ireland ?

I suppose if they had to make their X mark, then they couldnt read either, so they would just agree with what was written down for them and the spelling gradually changed.

I will continue on with my search...suppose Ireland will be my next quest.

Once again thanks for your help. 

Maggie