Author Topic: The Oakleaf Pub Middlesbrough  (Read 15043 times)

Offline jim27

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Oakleaf Pub Middlesbrough
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, I remember the oak leaf being built in the late fifties. Your relative Richard Dawkins was better known as Dickey Dye. The Oak Leaf was originally owned I believe by your relative and stood on the corner of Normanby Road and Hampden Street in South Bank near Middlesbrough. The new police station now stands on that corner.Your relative had three clubs in the Middlesbrough area, all three were named after trees. The oak leaf in South Bank, The Elm club  and the Sycamore Club. The Oak Leaf was a night club and later a bingo hall when your relative owned it.The Oak Leaf changed ownership round about 1965 give or take a year.It was at this point that The Oak Leaf became a pub and night club and was taken over by Scottish and Newcastle breweries.The pub had three rooms downstairs a bar a buffet and a music room.The upstairs room was used as the night club and function room, my sister had her wedding reception in the upstairs room. It was quite a big building and was very popular.The singing star Cathy Kirby starred at the oak leaf on the opening night. I cant remember if the Oak Leaf burned down or not but that story sounds familiar. Of the other two clubs one was at Normanby and the other at Marton. I was a school boy when  your relative owned it and my friends dad was a brick layer an he helped to build it.It was later as a pub when i frequented the place.hope this helps.   

Offline cunners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My grandad Malcolm Cunningham relayed some information to me about my family and mentioned the Oak Leaf pub. He grew up in South Bank as did many of my Cunningham ancestors. Anyway, my grandad told me a story of his cousin Michael Cunningham getting into a fight in the Oak Leaf and ending up in prison for murder(!!). Anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything about it anywhere.

Thanks
Craig

Offline amc750

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The Oak Leaf Pub murder occured at the end of September in 1979. It was on the front page of the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette on October 2nd 1979. Go down to Middlesbrough central library and you can see it. The man who died was called Peter Francis Leonard of Normanby. A Kevin Paul David Cunningham is mentioned.

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Peter Francis Leonard who died was my uncle.  Apparently he got hit over the head with a snooker cue is what I was told I was only eight when he died but remember going to Redcar with him to see his girlfriend.
mctiernan ireland
leonard skibbereen ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire
sheehy/shea sheehea wales

Offline cunners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 March 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, and I'm sorry for your loss feesca.  :(

I managed to find the article in the Gazette that amc mentioned in Middlesbrough Reference library. It was also front page story on October 1st, with the 2nd being a followup. It's not a Cunningham I know of in my tree so will need some further research, thanks all for the help.

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
sorry to butin the 2 men who ran the oakleaf pub was harry & eddie sorry don't no last names
the pub shut for a wile then opened as just ji's  over the road was the sporting club that was on fire
& burn down that closed in 1974 if this helps

Offline vonash

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I worked in the Oak leaf from 1977 into the 80s. Mick Blackwell ran it, then it was taken over by Harry and Helen. I remember Eddie he was a barman his wife Rene was a barmaid. Lots of memories, met my husband there. Also my mam worked for Dickie Dye when it was a nightclub. Then Val (don;t know second name) ran it too.

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Many tganks for that ill let my frend now cheers

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 August 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
I'd like to thank you all for the information you have provided me with many thanks top job to all