Author Topic: Daniel Brown Chenies 1784-1861 plus  (Read 8888 times)

Offline Violet May

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Brown Chenies 1784-1861 plus
« on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
For a long time I have been researching the BROWN family from CHENIES. Father was Daniel, Mother Ann?. They had six children including DANIEL 1825 and Rosetta 1826.  I have  found out about DANIEL jnr and his family also father DANIEL who was a retired victualler then he lived in the Alms Houses as a widower from 1841. After 1861 I cannot find him. He MUST have died but I cannot find his record. I have purchased several death certificates in his name but not hit the button yet? WHERE could he have gone? I know he was a brother to Elizabeth who married a BEESON. Rosetta was my husband's gg grandmother who disappeared when living in London after giving birth to a son(our Ggrandfather} illegitimately in 1847.  If anyone has ANY connection to these people it would make my day. Thanks
Brightwell London
Broadway London
Brooke Dewsbury Grimsby
Hockney Lincolnshire
Cottam Lincolnshire
Hancock Middlesex
Warlow London
Babington Lincolnshire
Vincent London

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Brown Chenies 1784-1861 plus
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi There is a tree on ancestry which has this family , it shows Rosetta as arriving st john new brunswick 1847 aged 22 , this might explain her disappearance. it also shows daniel & ann gates had 7 children. matilda b 1813 marianne b 1815 caroline 1817 eliza 1817 mary ann 1817 daniel 1823 -1912 rosetta 1825 birth sourse from census may explain 3 births same year.
hope this is some help.

regards alan

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi ...

The Rosetta who lands at St John Is too old to be yours...
 looking at the original manifest it has......
  Rosetta Brown female aged 50 wife
 travelling with
 Eliza J  Brown female 20 spinster
 John  Brown male 25 labourer
 Mary Brown female 23 wife.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Violet May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan  I belong Ancestry but have been unable to find Rosetta on a Tree, however I will look again. Also I sort of knew about the one landing in New Brunswick but cannot get further information. However I feel she may have gone to Canada. See you soon :)
Brightwell London
Broadway London
Brooke Dewsbury Grimsby
Hockney Lincolnshire
Cottam Lincolnshire
Hancock Middlesex
Warlow London
Babington Lincolnshire
Vincent London

Offline Violet May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alimag. Had another look for the tree with Rosetta Brown. I own two trees on Ancestry One Hancock/Brown and Hockney. This may be where you saw it.
I do not have any proof that she was the one who went to Canada! Regards
Brightwell London
Broadway London
Brooke Dewsbury Grimsby
Hockney Lincolnshire
Cottam Lincolnshire
Hancock Middlesex
Warlow London
Babington Lincolnshire
Vincent London

Offline TomMat30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I spent much time in Bucks Record Office in the 1990s searching for Brown and Austin records from the PRs.  I probably have some of the info you need, including record of Daniel Brown senior's death in 1864.  If you are still interested, you can contact me direct on aeddickinson.t21@btinternet.com
I can then just list all the christening dates etc.  I can do a straight e-mail, but am not into "clever stuff" with diagrams etc.  Thursday at the earliest.

I am a direct descendant of Thomas Pope Dickinson of "London" and Matilda Brown from Chenies who married at Holborn St Sepulchre in February 1830.

With kind regards,
George Dickinson,
Doncaster.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi George

A warm welcome to RootsChat, unfortunately Violet May has not been back to Roots since 2011 but as you have done a lot of research on the Brown's in Chenies I wonder if you have gathered any info on my 3rd Grt Grandfather Henry Brown. Although Henry was born in Kings Langley in 1791 he moved with his wife Sophia nee Marriott to Chenies sometime between 1816 & 1817. Sophia died in 1818 along with her new born son Henry, have you by any chance picked up any records for a John Brown born to Henry & Sophia in Chenies c1817. Henry then married Mary Crutch in 1820 but I don't know if they had any children. Mary died in 1844 in Chenies after which Henry leaves Bucks to live with his daughter in Surrey.

No problem if you don't have any info as it's probably a long shot but I thought I would ask any way. :)

Don't worry if you find your e-mail vanishes from your post as it's RootsChat policy to not show mail addys in case of spamming. ;)

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TomMat30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Maddie,

Since yours is a simple question, I can make a simple answer.  As is normal (essential) in family history research, I first worked backwards and then sideways.  This went from Matilda Brown (Christened 1813, dd 1895), then back to her father, Daniel Brown (Christened 1784 - dd 1864) who married Ann Gates  in London in 1812.  Daniel's father was William Brown, who married Sarah Austin in Chenies in 1778.  I have children in Chenies from both these marriages.  I also followed a number of "blind alleys" with Brown families while searching and figuring out which were "my" line.  These included a couple of bits that look relevant to you.

First, from the 1992 IGI I have a note that Henry Browne married Sophia Marriott in Rickmansworth, 14/8/1811.

Then in Chenies Parish Register christenings, page 9, entry 70, I have 1818, Aug 2, Henry son of Henry & Sophia Brown of Chenies, paper maker.  Nothing else noted for Henry right up to 1854.

Henry Brown and Mary Crutch both of Chenies married by Banns on 25 May 1820 (Phillimore has 21/5/1820). Both made a mark. Witnesses: Abraham Brown, Lucy Brown, William Beeson (Clerk).

I guess you already have this information, so I'm sorry that my records are of no help to you.

Just one possible place to look is Flaunden, Herts, because there seem to have been links to Chenies from time to time.

Kind regards,
George Dickinson.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi George

Many thanks for your reply & I am very grateful for the extra info that I didn't have. :) For instance I didn't have the exact date of baby Henry's christening which must have been just before his death along with his mother. Yes, I do have the date of Henry & Sophia's marriage in Rickmansworth & also what I thought was the correct date for Henry & Mary's marriage being the 21st of May so again thank you for the actual date of 25th. I also didn't have the witnesses to Henry & Mary's marriage, Abraham & Lucy Brown, they are very welcome as Abraham is not a name I have come across before but it might help me to find were Henry's father Richard Brown was born as up to now he is alluding me. :) As he was also a paper maker there is a chance that he originates from Bucks & could well be connected to your Brown's but as it's such a common name, who knows. ::)

I think perhaps John Brown may well have been born in Rickmansworth just before the family moved as his 2 elder sisters were born there & for some reason there are no christening records for the first 3 children.

Once again thank you it is much appreciated.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk