Author Topic: Alice M PLUMMER  (Read 1703 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice M PLUMMER
« on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I am in Australia looking for family details on Alice M Plummer who married William Sibley September Quarter 1920 in Hammersmith, Middlesex. (1a  822).

William (b: 1875) was first married to Maude Van Okker in 1909 and they were divorced in 1919. William died in 1935 in Hammersmith Hospital and the Death Certificate showed A M Sibley (widow) as the informant. I am assuming that the marriage lasted and that this is Alice M Plummer.

In 1935, William was living at 5/162 Goldhawk Road, Hammersmith, and was a retired Fishmonger, although in his earlier career, he was a Ganger in Wine & Spirits, just like his father William Sibley, who lived at 22 Hamfrith Road, Stratford.

Does anyone know about her ancestors, when she was born and died, if there were any children from the marriage and was this her first marriage. I found a lot of Alice M Plummer's on freebmd index, but couldn't determine which was our Alice. Hope someone can assist.

Best Regards
Wildcats13

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Alice M PLUMMER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 15:43 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate should show if Plummer was her maiden name or a previous married name - and her father's name.  Best (cheapest) to get this from the General Records Office

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
The cert should also show her age (hope it doesn't say 'full')

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 12 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Well I have finally sorted out some of the issues of this marriage and received their marriage certificate. It is indeed the correct coupling. The Cert. shows that William was preeviously married to Maude Okker, his age 45, Alice 40 and a Spinster, her father named William, occupation Butler.

I have also found 1901 Census, where she was living with her mother Eliza (49). Alice was born in Marylebone, London, and living in South-West Hackney. In 1911 she was living alone (30) at 10 Birkbeck Road, Dalston, South-West Hackney, occupation was Restaurant Cook.

What I am really chasing now is her ancestors starting with her parents William & Eliza but having trouble trying to find the right ones, as it appears her mother died between 1901 & 1911, and her father was shown as deceased on her Marriage Cert., and he wasn't on either of the Census sheets.

Hope someone can help or point in the right direction.

Regards,

Wildcats13

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
So does the M on the marriage cert mean 'Mary'?

If it does there's this birth entry in the index

Mar 1880

Plummer, Alice Mary Marylebone  1a 597

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 12 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn,
I am sorry, I forgot to mention that both the Marriage Cert. and Census records confirmed her middle name was Mary and she was born in Marylebone. As mentioned, my problem is sorting out which William & Eliza are her parents.

By the way, I think I have found two further marriages for Alice after William died in 1935.
Alice M Sibley married Thomas Lawlor in Dec. Qtr. 1939 at Hammersmith. Thomas died in March Qtr. 1948   and
Alice M Lawlor married Thomas John Ryan in March Qtr. 1949 at Westminster. Thomas Ryan was born in 1875 and also in Marylebone. Have no death details for either Thomas or Alice.

Peter

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
What censuses if any have you found with a William & Eliza Plummer?

I’m finding it very difficult to find Alice Mary & Eliza together on 1891 & 1881c

Just in case anyone else can help this is the reference number for
1901c RG13; Piece: 222; Folio: 59; Page: 10
Alice Mary Plummer b1880 Marylebone & her mother Eliza b1852 Greenwich Kent

There is this Alice on 1881c  :-\

RG11; Piece: 704; Folio: 111; Page: 38 13 Hamilton St Deptford reg. dis Greenwich
Alice M Plummer age 1 Middx  boarding with the HALL family Fredk T & Eliza A Hall

You may have to purchase her birth certificate (details of birth entry posted by Dawnsh)
this will give Alice's mother’s maiden name, where they were living & whether her father William’s occupation was a butler (as per her marriage cert.)
Then hopefully you should be able to find William Plummer’s & Eliza’s marriage & locate them on the census

It could be a badly transcribed surname – I’ve tried many different combinations sorry no luck  ???

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Death index

Mar 1963

Alice M Lawlor aged 82
Kensington 5C 1615

Can't immediately see a death for a Thomas J(ohn) Ryan born 1875 after 1949.

If you bought her deth cert it might show whether she was a widow or he could have been the informant.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea