Author Topic: Dublin marriage - advice please  (Read 3823 times)

Offline maryau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin marriage - advice please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 March 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Dathai. This nurse child Kathleen Conway, raised by the Kenny family, is my grandmother. I don't understand what a nurse child is/was and don't know what happened to her birth parents.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 March 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
A "nurse- child " was a sort of foster-child. See topic " What is a nurse child?" from miss marple,  55106.
Cowban

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Kate was born in the Barony of Ballycorus, civil  Rathdown if that helps.

Offline tellx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Always great to hear from any potential family members.

William George Conway and Kate (Catherine) Dolan married on the 3rd April 1899 in the chapel of St Michael, Dublin. As far as I knew they had 3 children: Herbert in 1900, Kathleen in 1906 and "Florie" as yet untraced. My dad can remember meeting "Uncle Herbert" and also "Auntie Florie", but knows very little about them.

William George Conway was the son of Herbert Simmonds Conway (watch maker) and Emily Brook. He was born in 1873 in Coventry and died in 1937 in Birmingham. He had 7 brothers / sisters (so far).

Kate (Catherine) Dolan died in 1953 also in Birmingham. My dad can remember her fairly well as he had to help look after her towards the end.

Kathleen Mary Conway (1906 - 1985) was my Grandmother. After she moved to this country from Ireland she spent her whole life in Birmingham. She married twice.

First to Albert Fellows in 1926 and they had a daughter Kathleen born later that year, who sadly died a couple of years ago. (Leaving a son, a daughter and two grandchildren.) Albert died when she was young, following an accident at work.

Her second marriage was to James Terry in 1933. They had a son William in 1935, (my father). James Terry died in 1972. I have a brother and a sister as well as a nephew.

I hope all or at least some of this information is useful. Please get in touch if I can help any more.

Cheers,

Martin

ps A HUGE THANKYOU to Dathai for the links and information he has posted. I had let this branch of the family slip a bit and I now have many extra routes to explore.
Terry, Greenway, Hudson, Conway, Simmonds, Childs, Oram, Dee, Bennett, Smith, Sturge, Bolas, Gibbons

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
As i said if you can get a look at workhouse records you may find more info there re the fostering of Kathleen.

example reply 18 here found for me by Hasta
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761819.18

unfortunately workhouse records are on one of the pay sites

Offline ajc1999

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Just came across this thread whilst doing general search -my Grandfather was Herbert Henry Conway, brother of Kathleen and Florie. Herbert died during the war (1943) in Sterling, Scotland. There was another brother, Patrick William Conway (b.1893 in Ireland) - not sure what became of him. My father Peter Conway (son of Herbert Henry) says he can remember his grandmother Kate (Dolan) when he was a child in Birmingham.

I have been researching Conway tree quite a bit - managed to go back to mid 1700s but further you go back records get more difficult to verify

John Conway (1756-1823)
William Conway - b.1872
John William Conway (1822-1896)
Herbert Simmonds Conway (1853-1912)
William George Conway (1874-1937)
Herbert Henry Conway (1900-1943)
Peter Anthony Conway (1937 -
Andrew John Conway (1965