Author Topic: 590 North Circular Road  (Read 6405 times)

Offline daisymershum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
590 North Circular Road
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just researching my grandfather Michael Mervyn and his involvement in the 1916 Rising. I had thought he was living at 54 Bayview Avenue when he participated in Easter Week.

But I came across the following last night and it has him down as living at '590 North Circular Road', aged 19:

http://books.google.ie/books?ei=p_5bTeDcDsq2hQeO7OXVDQ&ct=result&id=dbQ0AQAAIAAJ&dq=mervyn+590+n.+circular+road&q=mervyn#search_anchor

Would it be possible that he gave a fake address or that he was actually living there? In the 1911 Census, he is living with his mother and two brothers in North Great Georges Street.

What added to the mystery about 590 North Circular Road was the following:

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume8/issue2/letters/?id=113487

'590 North Circular Road

Sir,—I am searching for historical or social information about howsingle pregnant girls were helped in giving birth in Dublin around thebeginning of the twentieth century. In particular I have evidence of anumber of births in 1916 at 590 North Circular Road. The person givenas present at the births was a Frances Moran. Dr Barnado’s, ChristChurch Place, informs me that quite a number of people who came to themlooking for their birth-parents give 590 NCR as their place of birth.Before 1916 the address of the house was 30 Richmond Place. It is stillstanding near the corner of Summerhill and the NCR and is believed tobe two hundred years old. On the NCR there were many nursing homes, butin contrast to number 590 they were registered as such. Local knowledgeis very sparse, but I have been informed that the house was usedexclusively for girls from the country and certainly not for girls fromDublin. It was run by a midwife I am told. In particular I aminterested in the question how and by whom and for how long this‘private’ home was run.

CHARLES GRADY'

So any ideas if 590 NCR was his correct address?

Cheers,
Dave (DaisyMershum)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 590 North Circular Road
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1911 Census shows an Orphanage on North Circular Road but it seems to have been a Church of Ireland Orphanage.  See
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Glasnevin/Female_Orphan_School__Circular_Road_North/13779/

Cheers

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The system of numbers on North Circular Rd must have changed at some point as there's no number 590 in earlier years. In 1914 and earlier listings each section of the Road had its own separate range of numbers, and sometimes within this system individual terraces also had their own separate numbers.

In 1927 there is a 590 and it is listed as Mrs. Moran. It's located not far from the NCR junctions with Summer St North and Rutland Place, which are adjacent to Summerhill.

p.s. I believe that section of the North Circular Rd would originally have been named Richmond place.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline daisymershum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies guys.

From the note about pregnancies from Charles Grady, it seems '590 NCR' was 30 Richmond Place.

Here it is in the 1911 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Richmond_Place/30316/

Could be likely that he was a boarder there?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
That looks like a normal house to me, and there is lodger there in 1911, so Michael  could have been one.  Robt. Nelson is still listed at the address in Thom's 1914.

The houses along that stretch of road look like they could be the original buildings from that time. See google street view.

590 is on the section just to the east of Dublin Electrical Wholesale - they are 580, and it's all even numbers on that side.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Moran is in 590 in 1922

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Sonichic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 17 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you found anymore information on this. I believe my grandfather lived at this address in 1916/17