Author Topic: Reap, Michael - born 1820 - Ballycastle, Mayo  (Read 15269 times)

Offline Duffy C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reap, Michael - born 1820 - Ballycastle, Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 03:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for quick reply. I am betting there is a connection of Reaps to either O'Boyles, Quinns, or the Judges. Or they could have just been good friends from the old country. Stay on the Pittsford Reaps. A lot of grave stones with name.

Offline springsf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 July 13 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

I descend from Thomas Craig, who was from the Balina, County Mayo area. His brother, James, immigrated to the USA and settled in Avoca with his first cousins (the Jackson's, Reap's, and Munley's). Thomas moved to the area later as well. I don't know anything else about his cousins. I was wondering if you know of any connection in your family to a Craig family. The places match up perfectly and I see that you have connections to both the Reap and Jackson families. Let me know if this sounds familiar at all to you. Hope to hear back!

Faith

Hi there - My name is Michelle and I too am a descendant of the Reap Family .  Peter Reap married Bridget Granahan They lived on a small Farm, Kilfine Parish, Bally Castle, Near Balina, County Mayo.  Some migrated to Avoca, PA and some also relocated to the Syracuse/Buffalo NY Area.

Also family surnames that are also conencted to Reap is Jackson too!

Possible connection!!

Thanks, Michelle

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline rpal20001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 July 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Michelle and Springsf
It certainly sounds like our families are related since I know my Micahel and Catherine Reaps come from Ballycastle, Mayo but I have not found the connections to the other family names in my known family members. It certainly seems likely given the small area of upstate PA that they all settled in that there was some connection however, I do know that there was another Michael Reap (also a shopkeeper in Pittston) before my Michael arrived and I have not found any family connection yet though one is likely.

I do appreciate any advice you can provide on potential Reap connections to the Granahans, Jacksons, Craigs etc.

My tree is Johnson-Lebon2013. I do hope we can make some progress.
Thank you so much for your help!
warm regards
Rosemary Palermo
Johnson, Richard (1803) - Ireland, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan
Finnegan, Catherine (1823) - Ireland
Finnegan, Phillip (abt 1790) - Ireland
Duffy, Rose (1795) - Ireland
Fagin/Fagan/Fegan, William (1829) - Ireland
McLaughlin, Mary (1842) - Ireland
Maloney, Terence (1804)- Ireland
Reap - Ballycastle, Mayo
Neville, Patrick (1805) - Ireland
Riordan/Rearden/Rierdon, Honora (1815) - Ireland

Offline kaknmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 September 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if you have come across any Cardens from Ballycastle in your research?

I have another post about my great grandmother Sarah Carden Cox who we think was born in Carrowniskey, Ballycastle in the early 1840s.

She came to Boston. She married in 1863.

We think her parents were William and Catherine.

Thank you,
kaknmo

Offline pdunn56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd GGM was Winifred Reap, born abt 1812 possibly in Ballycastle Mayo who married James Connors b.1843  from Ballycastle and I believe they both stayed in Ireland. Their 4 children however came to Pittston PA. They were Thomas Henry Connors b abt 1833 who married Mary Langan, Mary Connors b abt 1835 who married Patrick M Murphy (my GGP's), James Connors b abt 1842 married Julia Connors (yes her maiden too)  and Michael Connors b abt 1845 who married Bridget Callahan. They all raised their families in Pittston. We believe that one of the Michael Reaps who came to Pittston was a sibling of my Winifred but can't find any proof yet. Does any of this sounds familiar? Pat Sharpe Dunn in NJ

Offline kaknmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have not read RootsChat for a very long time.

I am not a good navigator yet!

My great grandmother was I believe a Sarah Carden from Doonfeeney, Ballycastle, Co. Mayo.  She married in Boston MA, USA in 1863. I guess her birth year to be 1838-1840. She died in 1774.  I have very little information about her.  Her maiden name was spelled many different ways in birth and marriage records of her children five living children. I think her father was William Carden, her mother was Catherine. I have no knowledge of relatives to her who emigrated to the U.S.
I have no knowledge of Reaps.
I do think Cardens settled in Pennsylvania.
Thank You!

Offline pdunn56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I have a mystery Carden also from Ireland possibly Northern ...Bridget Carden b abt 1835 d before 1900 in Pittston, or Hughestown, PA. married Patrick Kelly who died in Pittston PA also. They had 5 children all born in PA, some in Scranton. the  4 daughters:  Catherine married Wm Gordon, Margaret married James Kirby, Anne married Richard Swift (my GGP) and Bridget married Dennis Owens, all lived in Pittston Pa area and Swifts moved to Chadwicks NY and son Anthony married  Mary Ann Barlow and lived in Carbondale PA

Offline kaknmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
Were you able to get the parents names of
Brigid from her marriage information?
I found Sarah's parents names through her marriage info...of course, errors in records are often!!

Good luck!!

Offline pdunn56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 03:48 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't find a marriage record , but should pursue that further...not sure if they were married PA or Ire but if kids all born here, maybe here..and she died prior to the 1906 online death certs. Patrick's death cert I found at least. Thanks for the lead :)