Author Topic: BURBIDGE or BURBRIDGE + SMITH  (Read 3298 times)

Offline delicado

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURBIDGE or BURBRIDGE + SMITH
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 May 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
A bit of progress today.
- I found John R Burbidge in the 1871 census by checking the address where he died in 1873. He had been mistranscribed as 'Bunbridge'.  Intriguingly the birthplace was given as Leicestershire, not Northamptonshire
- I struggled to read the place in Leicestershire, but now know it to have been 'Harboro' - as in Market Harborough. This is about 9 miles from Welford.
- Thanks to the marvellous freereg, I have not only a baptism for John, but also baptisms for siblings Thomas (1782) and William Cave Burbidge (1789), along with confirmation that Mary's name was Mary Richards. [still no sign of my GGGG Elizabeth, who I believe would have arrived a year or so before William Cave].

I did separately find what I believe to be a baptism for John R's daughter Elizabeth Burbidge in 1818. There's no Smith anywhere but the father is given as John Richard Burbidge, draper. Mother and daugher are both Elizabeth Henrietta. It's in Hanwell very near where she would marry Mr. Pulford.    Not sure if this can be right.  I guess it's possible they divorced and Elizabeth jr took her stepfather's name.

Offline delicado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi. Still no proof on your 'Smith' name, but I did find a newspaper ad from 1824 from John Burbidge in Westminster saying on no account would he settle any debts incurred by his wife Elizabeth as she had left his house and he was no longer responsible for her. I haven't proved this was him, but since I think the 1818 baptism from Elizabeth jr was correct (since it specifies his profession as draper, which was correct), my theory is:
- John married Elizabeth ???? some time before 1818
- She left him in 1824, taking Elizabeth jr with her.
- Her maiden name might have been Smith, or her she might have married a Smith. Either way, Elizabeth took that name.

I'll let you know if I ever prove any of this.

Offline Ossibus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi delicado  Apologies for not replying before, but I have been away and pre-occupied.  You seem to be making great progress, and what you suggest seems entirely likely.  I have not been doing any of this recently, and am out of touch.  I hope to have a bit of time in a week or two and will go through my notes to see if I can add anything.
Betts, Bloor, Bullock, Dawson, Flower, Hacking, Jardine, Senior, Underwood, Wrigley

Offline delicado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
No problem - thanks for replying and I hope this is of interest!