Author Topic: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia  (Read 28383 times)

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 05:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on the descendents of Zara Jeanette Kennedy Campbell (nee Sloan) born in Mhow India in 1900 who died in Natal 1967. I have the following entry:

CAMPBELL, Zara Jennette Kennedy. Born Sloan, Mhow, 1967, Prsp Campbell, Samuel Reid. Deceased Estate No. 3917/1967., 3919/1967

And know that Zara, although born in India was raised in the North of Ireland. (She was my grandfather's elder sister and my mother is named after her). Her husband Samuel Reid Campbell was, I believe, either a doctor or a dentist and was born in Co. Down. Any information anyone can give me on either of them or any children they may have had would be gratefully received!

The other family connection is via my great-grandmother's (Zara Jeanette's mother) sister Sophia Mary Hanna (born 1884 in Kells, Co. Antrim) who married Sir Robert Alfred McIlwaine (born 1871 in Larne, Co. Antrim, died 1943 in Rhodesia) who was Solictor-General among other things. I know they had at least three children, so again any further information would be gratefully recieved!

Many thanks
Trish
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline pixel2metal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I've been researching my family tree lately and came across your post. My great grandmother is Zara Campbell; my grandmother, Bridget Eccles nee Cambell is her daughter. I have a family tree I found in my grandmothers house, I'll have to ask her where its from, it doesnt have any dates but it has names, including the Sophie Hanna and Robert McIlwaine you mentioned. I'm trying to place you in this tree, is your grandfather Patrick Sloan? I could also email you a copy of this family tree if you would like?

I don't think Zara Campbell died in Natal however, I believe she died in Belfast, in 1965, but she was born in Mhow. Her father was Captain John Sloan and mother was Jeanette Sloan, nee Hanna. John Sloan was in the British Army as a surgeon and they both went to Mhow. He died I think after sustaining a surgical wound which became infected, leaving Jeanette there alone with the very young Zara and Patrick. I believe after a while relatives managed to raise money to get them home. Zara then married Samuel Reid Campbell, a doctor; they met and married in South Africa but I'm not sure why they were there. They had both their children, Michael and Bridget in South Africa; I think they moved back to Northern Ireland in 1938. Michael had two children who live in Canada. Bridget had my mother, and two sons who both live in USA now.

If you're interested in learning more please don't hesitate to get in contact! my email is (*)

Thanks,
Stuart

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

I'll start by saying how THRILLED I am to *meet you*. I've been hoping to make contact with your side of the family so your message is a very welcome sight! My grandfather was indeed Patrick Sloan (I'm named Patricia after him) and my mother is Zara, who was named after Patrick's sister, your great grandmother. So we are most very definitely related :)

I discovered both your great grandmother and grandfather had died in Belfast after originally posting this thread. I'm still researching the Hanna/McIlwaine/South Africa side of the family. It's interesting you mention how John Sloan died in India as we had the exact same story passed down this side of the family. I've been hoping to find more information in his obituary in one of the Roscommon papers but until I can clear a window in my work schedule to take another trip I'm afraid I haven't got much further than the one in the BMJ. There was a fire in his father's shop in Boyle, Co. Roscommon a few years after he died, so very little in the way of photographs, records, etc. were passed down our side of the family with the William John Sloan name (which grandpa Pat, my Uncle Sean and cousin Timothy all carry)

I would most DEFINITELY be interested in ANY family trees/pictures/stories etc. you would like to share with me. I shall send you a PM with my email addy anda  link to teh tree I have online. And again it is LOVELY to hear from you!!!

Trish
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
Zara then married Samuel Reid Campbell, a doctor; they met and married in South Africa but I'm not sure why they were there.

Meant to say I know Zara travelled to South Africa several times with her mother Jeanette (presumably to visit her Aunt Sophia McIlwaine, though Jeannette also had a brother named George Boyle Hanna who was with the Indian Medial Corps). Jeanette lists her address as being the Presbyterian 'huts' at Ballykinler in one of the passenger lists. I'm assuming it may have some kind of connection to the Hanna family being so prominent in the Presbyterian Church. Her elder brother Robert Kennedy Hanna was a Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, following in the footsteps of his ggg-grandfather Samuel Hanna who was the first Moderator of the Reformed church. Do you know if Zara met Samuel at home or away?

Offline Ali55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how I stumbled on this but this is my family! My father was Samuel Reid Campbell Ritchie and Bridget is my aunt. My children and I would love to learn more about my father's side of the family. I see that the previous posts date back a few years but hopefully you can still be reached.
Alison

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:24 GMT (UK) »

There is quite a bit of information on McIlwaine in the archives, not sure what you have or not.  But there is a will for Mary Sophia McIlwaine.  If you want the info pm me your email and I'll get it off to you.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Probably your  man...

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    AG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 1750                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 9231                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MCILWAINE, R. RECORD OF SERVICE OF. SALISBURY.                       
STARTING  1907                                                                 
ENDING    1907                                                       

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    CSC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 2/6/1/183                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 297                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MOTION. PETITION OF ROBERT MCILWAINE IN RE ADMITTANCE AND ENROLMENT   
           AS A BARRISTER OR ADVOCATE OF THE SUPREME COURT OF THE COLONY.       
STARTING  18980000                                                             
ENDING    18980000       

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    PIO                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 5                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 891E                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          IMMIGRATION PAPERS. ROBERT MCILWAINE.                                 
STARTING  1907                                                                 
ENDING    1907                                                                           
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you are looking for N.I. information but in the last few years lots more online resources have become available. Just in case you don't have it, here's the 1911 census entry for Jeanette Sloan and her 2 children-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Bangor/Tennyson_Avenue/262530
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Just for interest sake - Lake Mcllwaine in Rhodesia was named after Sir Robert.  He was a Judge and also the founder of the Soil and Water Conservation Movement.

It has since been renamed Lake Chivero.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods